THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Early 240Zs have gone through the roof over the past 3-5 years. I've seen a few go for over $100K recently.
Just search the archives on Bring a Trailer for them.
Yep, those early Z's in good shape are very hard to find and would rust out from the moisture in your breath standing next to one talking about it. I worked at a Datsun dealer in Bowling Green, OH when they were new. They had a 3 year rust through warranty. They wouldn't make it. The body shop was busy replacing totally rusted out rear quarters and patching frame structure inside the front lower wheel well area as well as IRS mounting pads that were rusted completely off in 18 months from new to 2 1/2 years old. Incredible. I had never seen cars rust out as fast as those Z cars. A real shame too because they had great engines and drivetrain and were really fun to drive. Low survival rate of a cool fun car = high resale for the survivors.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Aside from sharing the base 170 cid 6 cylinder they were not.

Even the IDI 6.9 & 7.3s are shooting up that are rusty.
7.3 powerstrokes in good condition fetch almost as much as a Cummins.
My apologies, I am incorrect on the Falcon heritage! I still don't get the money they bring.
James Q

Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
My apologies, I am incorrect on the Falcon heritage! I still don't get the money they bring.
James Q
Fahgettaboutit. I don’t either, they’re loud, uncomfortable with a bouncy ox cart ride.
I prefer the later 78-79s, but since the new Broncos have been announced those and even the 80s & 90s ones have shot up as well.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:52 AM

I must add my own " no way " addition to the list

How about a 1998 Chevy 4dr Tahoe?! My father purchased new a 96 Tahoe. He drove it everyday, and we even put a plow on her for his business. After years of plowing, and following salt trucks in the snow storms of NJ, the chassis fell apart. The body was fine, but after several attempts of welding new medal in her....done!
So I found him a mint 98 Tahoe that belonged to a fire company in Conn. This was about 5 years ago. She had 14k miles on her, and she was perfect top to bottom. Had all the emergency lights all over her too. I changed all the red lights to yellow, and Pop had a fire truck to drive to work in.
Well, Pop passed away this past July, so I've been keeping her running and driving these past months.
I can't tell you how many times I've been given the thumbs up and waved at driving her around. I can't get gas without the questions from gas attendants and people walking by.

She has 23k miles on her now, and just wonder if she gets all the attention because the fire truck look, or her condition?
Maybe both I guess?! When I first started driving her, and people were waving at me, I thought I had a flat tire or something...lol

I'm thinking of leaving the classic cars in the garage when spring comes, and take the fire truck to the local car cruise : )
Pop would've liked that I'm sure
Miss you Pop

Old 01-06-2021, 01:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting about that 98 Tahoe! I had a 99 Suburban (classic body style) that I put on a 2” body lift and 31.5” All Terrain BFG’s - that truck got a ton of attention 10 years ago because everyone thought it was 4 wheel drive. My dad has it now and it’s fun to see them start to show up at Auctions.

Another thing I did not see coming was old Honda dirt bikes. A CT70 from the 70’s will sell for $2500-4000! I have a CT90 and am going to look at another one tomorrow

Old 01-06-2021, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The VW Thing.

My daughter wants one and I've been looking. Evidently, other people like them too...

Old 01-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve noticed square body Chevy trucks (1973-1987, Suburban/Blazers til 1990) are going up in price, even the rusted to death basket cases.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post

1977 Pontiac Can Am- I love this car and owned one that was too rusty to save. I kept thinking these cars would catch on but just don’t seem to have the following of a GTO or Trans Am despite (in my opinion) checking all of the boxes.

For a Colonnade era GM, they are at the top of the pricing structure now. Really sweet examples are consistently selling for $25k-$30k. Some of the best 4 speed conversion cars bring more. I have owned 10 of them, and never thought they would achieve the money that they do now.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-06-2021, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Integra's

Interesting that Honda Integra's have been mentioned in this thread. My daughter owns a 1989 Integra manual car. After we purchased it, we found it was a "trial build" car. Production number 59. Built in March 1989 and shipped to Australia for endurance testing then later sold as a "demonstrator" after they were released for sale. Production apparently did not start till September '89

10 years ago it was just a cheap used car but now it has been appraised at A$7500 and rising. Where will it stop???

Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Yep, those early Z's in good shape are very hard to find and would rust out from the moisture in your breath standing next to one talking about it. I worked at a Datsun dealer in Bowling Green, OH when they were new. They had a 3 year rust through warranty. They wouldn't make it. The body shop was busy replacing totally rusted out rear quarters and patching frame structure inside the front lower wheel well area as well as IRS mounting pads that were rusted completely off in 18 months from new to 2 1/2 years old. Incredible. I had never seen cars rust out as fast as those Z cars. A real shame too because they had great engines and drivetrain and were really fun to drive. Low survival rate of a cool fun car = high resale for the survivors.
Yep...I have had 3 z-cars, the first was a '73 240, which was my favorite of the three. I have an '80zx now. I bought the '73 when it was only 4 years old and it already had a ping-pong ball sized rust hole in the rocker panel and it was spreading...Back then, nobody salted the roads down here in the south and it was rusting anyway.
Someone back then told me about a '71 that was available and I went to look at it. I think it would have broken in two in a couple of more years..

Old 01-06-2021, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The VW Thing.

My daughter wants one and I've been looking. Evidently, other people like them too...
Check the samba forums/classifieds. You'll have to fish through a lot of high dollar examples but you'll find some fair deals here and there from sellers that don't think they're made from gold. It's the biggest VW classifieds in existence I think. There is a huge price jump between pre-1968 and after. Air-cooled bugs are another favorite of mine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reading the comments about Tahoe's is making me think about Excursion's. Those I bet will become a collectors item at some point. They already have a following kinda like the Roadmaster wagons.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Reading the comments about Tahoe's is making me think about Excursion's. Those I bet will become a collectors item at some point. They already have a following kinda like the Roadmaster wagons.
The diesel ones are already well sought after. Even the ones with the 6.Oh

Old 01-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe what all this is really saying is, quoting Yogi Berra,...'A dollar ain't worth a dime no more'...

Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Yep...I have had 3 z-cars, the first was a '73 240, which was my favorite of the three. I have an '80zx now. I bought the '73 when it was only 4 years old and it already had a ping-pong ball sized rust hole in the rocker panel and it was spreading...Back then, nobody salted the roads down here in the south and it was rusting anyway.
Someone back then told me about a '71 that was available and I went to look at it. I think it would have broken in two in a couple of more years..
They are great cars and I owned several as well. I had ready access to trade-ins at the dealer. My favorite was a 71 orange Z. I restored it and sold it after enjoying for a year. I knew the rust would be back soon. I flew all the way to San Diego to buy a 81 ZX for my wife. Drove it back to Ohio without issues. It was 100% rust free in 1988 when purchased. I was very careful washing it all the time but was driven year around. After 3 years, ready to break in half near the front footwells in the uni-body. Bought a 10th Anniversary gold and black as a trade-in at the dealer. Beautiful cars, tan leather interior for $300.00. Ran perfect, rusted beyond recognition. We shot a bunch of lag screws through doubled-up 2x6 treated boards to remount the center section of the IRS suspension. Drove it a year and a half that way. Sold it for parts. So I understand the desire to own a rust free model. I would suggest driving it and then storing it in a desert dry, climate controlled garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64113636-770-0@2X.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	557665  

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
I don't understand the appeal of early Broncos'. They are Falcon based....
James Q
Well, They were very capable off roaders when set up.

Bill Stroppe and Rod Hall comes to mind

From this article It is still the only 4WD vehicle to have overalled the Mexican and Baja 1000 races.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc.../broncohistory

Old 01-06-2021, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
They are great cars and I owned several as well. I had ready access to trade-ins at the dealer. My favorite was a 71 orange Z. I restored it and sold it after enjoying for a year. I knew the rust would be back soon. I flew all the way to San Diego to buy a 81 ZX for my wife. Drove it back to Ohio without issues. It was 100% rust free in 1988 when purchased. I was very careful washing it all the time but was driven year around. After 3 years, ready to break in half near the front footwells in the uni-body. Bought a 10th Anniversary gold and black as a trade-in at the dealer. Beautiful cars, tan leather interior for $300.00. Ran perfect, rusted beyond recognition. We shot a bunch of lag screws through doubled-up 2x6 treated boards to remount the center section of the IRS suspension. Drove it a year and a half that way. Sold it for parts. So I understand the desire to own a rust free model. I would suggest driving it and then storing it in a desert dry, climate controlled garage.
Sorry for the hijack 1965gp...just one last Z car thing..

I was astonished at how little rust this one had and it's 90% of the reason I bought it...and it wasn't much money at all. Paid $2300 and it was a driver.
I have spent the last year or so patching every rust hole in the body ( those are the primer spots) and a bunch of other stuff...but now I'm having mechanical issues that I haven't figured out yet. Walked away from it for a while but it will be back on the road and may be the subject of my first paint job.
It's small and it's white...what could go wrong?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	557668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_140028943_HDR (1).jpg
Views:	463
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	557672  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-06-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No worries on the hijack- I enjoy all of these discussions.

What about Hummers? I bought my H2 in 2010, then took a job where I had a company vehicle so I needed to sell it. Sunset orange metallic in pristine condition and I could only get $11,500 for it. I should have saved it for my kids. Safe, reliable, easy to fix and going up in value.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
What about Hummers?
I'm sure some people like them, but they're so niche and the majority of people I have ever met hate them (me included) so I can't see them ever becoming truly "collectible" in the real sense of the word. Sure, the rich guys with huge wallets and storage buildings will grab a few and the dealer-flippers will always try and stir the pot to make a buck with flashy signs and stupid stories to back up their crazy prices, but in terms of the average car hobbyist I don't see it.

I could be wrong! All it takes is someone cool on a TV show driving one to shift the winds.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could see the original H1 being a collectable.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express