THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

I think the Can- Am's down fall was its short run. There were not that many made and not many people have seen them. I had one from 1983 until 1996. I loved the body style with those awesome louvres. Too bad it rusted away. I had a decent 455 in it and it was a lot of fun at Milan and Lapeer Drag ways.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Reading the comments about Tahoe's is making me think about Excursion's. Those I bet will become a collectors item at some point. They already have a following kinda like the Roadmaster wagons.

I bought a nearly perfect '02 in 2016 that I've added 50K miles to. Tracking online prices I know that with the improvements I've made I could sell it today and profit. Not what I consider collectable, but a good investment. And one hell of nice SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dan 02 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	557726  

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Interesting about that 98 Tahoe! I had a 99 Suburban (classic body style) that I put on a 2” body lift and 31.5” All Terrain BFG’s - that truck got a ton of attention 10 years ago because everyone thought it was 4 wheel drive. My dad has it now and it’s fun to see them start to show up at Auctions.

Another thing I did not see coming was old Honda dirt bikes. A CT70 from the 70’s will sell for $2500-4000! I have a CT90 and am going to look at another one tomorrow
I'm amazed how much those old Honda dirt bikes go for.
I had a 71 SL70 when I was a kid. I thought about getting one a few years ago for my son....holy cow. Sticker shock
It seems like there's a big following for vintage Honda's anyway.
I've owned a 79 Honda CBX motorcycle for a long time. It's one of Honda's first super bikes with 6 cylinders. Crazy looking bike with the engine sticking out beyond the gas tank. I have a line of guys who want to buy her.
The wife would love for me to make her go away...lol

Old 01-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I bought a nearly perfect '02 in 2016 that I've added 50K miles to. Tracking online prices I know that with the improvements I've made I could sell it today and profit. Not what I consider collectable, but a good investment. And one hell of nice SUV.
Nice 7.3 powerstrokes are fetching $25,000 plus.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked at a few Honda CT90’s today- owner wanted almost $1000 for non running patina bikes... and these aren’t the expensive ones!

He had a earlier model from the 60’s he basically gave away but it needs everything. Might be yard art!

He had an orange one that would look badass mounted on our orange K5 and I don’t even really care if it runs or not.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:42 PM

Cool stuff

Oh man....here we go, starting another search.
This time for old Honda's in my area
Lol

Old 01-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...ry=honda+trail

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Wow, lots for sale on the West coast. I can't believe how much those 50's are
going for. I couldn't fit on those when I was 12..lol

I'm going to look what's for sale on the other side of the country : )

Old 01-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VWs don't surprise me. They've always had a cult-like following that I could never understand, but different strokes for different folks.

The early Civic/CRX Si doesn't hugely surprise me. Those were cool cars that were considered very desirable by a lot of my contemporaries back when they were new. I had a girlfriend who's dad bought her a bright yellow CRX right when the second generation body style came out (late '80s?). I drove it a couple times and was impressed with how it handled, how "sporty" it felt and how spunky that little 4 cylinder was. The Acura Integra GS and GSR are basically the same car with a different body.

Folks want to relive their carefree years and the people who always wanted (or did own) those cars are now in their prime earning ages.

The Datsun Z-cars also don't surprise me. They've always had a big following too, and I've always thought they were cool little cars, but yeah, try finding one in good condition these days for something other than stupid money.

The 510 has also always had a cult following. Sharply styled little cars that handle like go-carts (rear IRS) and can be made decently quick because they're so light.

I too have to admit the disco-birds are somewhat surprising. I can understand the W72 cars, they were the last holdouts of American V8 performance from that era and were the best you could get in those years and are rare compared to the overall production, but a 403 car or even Turbo 301 was never anything anyone was that crazy about back in the day. The black SEs were always the "Smokey and the Bandit" cars so that's not terribly surprising either.

I have always had a thing for the 2nd generation 4WD Toyota 4x4 pickups and have owned one for a long time. used to be you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one, but now they're getting pretty rare. So many were chopped up and made into crawlers or boggers that it's pretty unusual to see one now that's in more or less stock condition, especially the '84-'85 solid axles. I think I'll hold onto mine for awhile longer, maybe it'll be worth real good money in another 10 years? It has several rare options including sunroof, bed light, and the coolest seats I've ever seen in one of these trucks with adjustable lumbar and bolsters, plus it's an extended cab. Only has 158K on it now, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200411_140959938_HDR.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	557810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_142659.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	557813  

Old 01-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never understood the increased value of the Disco-era firebirds either. They were new cars when I was in and after high school, and still seem too new to me to be of any interest. Also the Toyota mini trucks. I still have the '83 short bed 4x4 I bought in 1992 for $2500......been driving it ever since mostly as a daily driver and it still has the original drivetrain and paint, complete with mural on the side. Saw a low mileage one sell for 56k at auction, and another one not as nice go for 26k. Mine is probably worth about 8-10k now, as it sits. Still has less than 300k miles on it and running strong. The VW vans are a mind-blower as well....in the late '60's a family friend had a blue and grey 23 window cloth top that was really mint.....but it was just transportation. That bus would be at least 150k now.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will, Those Toyota trucks are great and values are rising. I still own a 91 v6 4x4 ext cab that I bought in 1992.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Suspended

I always did want one of these....

Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
The 510 has also always had a cult following. Sharply styled little cars that handle like go-carts (rear IRS) and can be made decently quick because they're so light.
They were very successful in racing, which helps their desirability today.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Sorry for the hijack 1965gp...just one last Z car thing..

I was astonished at how little rust this one had and it's 90% of the reason I bought it...and it wasn't much money at all. Paid $2300 and it was a driver.
I have spent the last year or so patching every rust hole in the body ( those are the primer spots) and a bunch of other stuff...but now I'm having mechanical issues that I haven't figured out yet. Walked away from it for a while but it will be back on the road and may be the subject of my first paint job.
It's small and it's white...what could go wrong?

A local yard, near my location, recently crushed out 85% percent of their passenger car inventory, including just about everything pre '95. They had two or three pre '79 Z car hulks, likely late 260's but the bodies were good. I tried to get one of the executors to save them, but they wouldn't listen.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Solid NM bodies would be very desirable by that crowd. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the 260 was only one year.... I think.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can- Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I think the Can- Am's down fall was its short run. There were not that many made and not many people have seen them. I had one from 1983 until 1996. I loved the body style with those awesome louvres. Too bad it rusted away. I had a decent 455 in it and it was a lot of fun at Milan and Lapeer Drag ways.
I worked for a large Pontiac dealership when these came out. We got 2. I remember clearly because they came after hours and were left in front of the used car dept. where I worked.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

I'm always surprised that anything from Honda, seriously ANYTHING, seems to be collectable. Motorcycles that they made millions of like early 50cc models or 305 Dreams. The S2000 two seater is similar in size and power to the Solstice/Sky ( NA engine not the GXP or Redline) yet similar mileage/condition cars from Honda bring 2 or 3 times the selling price. Even Civics, the bread and butter cars, bring in stupid dollars. Hang on to your Honda generator, some day you'll be able to fund your retirement with it.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 01-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdHank View Post
I'm always surprised that anything from Honda, seriously ANYTHING, seems to be collectable. Motorcycles that they made millions of like early 50cc models or 305 Dreams. The S2000 two seater is similar in size and power to the Solstice/Sky ( NA engine not the GXP or Redline) yet similar mileage/condition cars from Honda bring 2 or 3 times the selling price. Even Civics, the bread and butter cars, bring in stupid dollars. Hang on to your Honda generator, some day you'll be able to fund your retirement with it.
I don't get the whole Honda Toyota thing. Most are ugly.. uncomfortable.. and underpowered.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think the Honda thing is just that so many people had them when they were young. I will say the dirt bikes are pretty fun to ride.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I think the Honda thing is just that so many people had them when they were young. I will say the dirt bikes are pretty fun to ride.
Agreed. Chevy was a common mans car, everybody had one, hence the reason they are so popular today. Anything you remember as a child may have value to you today. I know a few guys into the Honda trail bikes, Schwinn bikes, trains, slot cars, etc. I have a few pinball machines that I liked when I was younger. Everything old is possibly collectible.