THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Default New member Clarksville TN 1965 GTO

Hello All!
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this site. My father left me a 1965 GTO hardtop when he passed in 2006. I finally dropped it off last week to get the restoration started. I'm super nervous because I know very little about restoration and I'm getting asked all kinds of questions about how I want it to go back together. I'm hoping to get a bit of an education through this and a couple other forums. I will listen to any advice you have to give me.
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6937.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	558527  

Old 01-15-2021, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet! My favorite year!
Welcome

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome aboard!

I'd recommend just asking away as the questions pop into your head. Keep this thread going as a running dialog.

Do you know which assembly plant your car was built in, and the build timeframe?

Have you got the PHS documentation?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-15-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the name David Jones, I can say this...."take the last train to Clarksville...."

Good to have you...enjoy.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Welcome!!!
There is a section here, for 64 and 65 GTO's, Lemans and Tempests. Builds posted there. There's also a section for 66 and 67 GTO's Lemans, and Tempests. On the 2nd page of the 66-67 section there's a VERY meticulous restoration of a 67 GTO, titled Back in a 67 GTO, a VERY good read!!!

Tell us more about your DAD's old car,options, engine, trans, etc...Is drive train still original??? What are your thoughts, at the moment...

A 65 GTO is the muscle car icon, of icons, (to me). Many folks her can help with questions!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-15-2021, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a great car under that dust welcome and good luck with the restoration.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:27 PM

enjoy your time here!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-15-2021, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome and good luck with the resto. I'm knee deep into the resto of my 70.

I would consider replacing the 3rd gen F-body rims and tires.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-15-2021, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forum PJ. There is so much information here. Whenever you get a question from the restoration people, just ask. It will be answered. And yes, please give some details on your car. I’m sure the car means the world to you, as it ties you to your late father.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know what your 1965 GTO was “worth” in 2006, but it was considerably less than today. Apparently, it wasn’t a valuable “restored” car in 2006. It is likely that is not an original car and restoring it to original condition may not be possible if its original motor, optional equipment, etc. are not available.
Accordingly, I think that first off, you would need to decide what a total budget is that you are willing to spend on a “restoration” AND you need to define what a restoration means. Does it mean restoring to factory shipped? Fixed up to serviceable condition? Updated to modern components such as brakes, drivetrain, adding air conditioning, etc.?
A car restored to original condition is worth considerably more than one restored to non-original condition when restoration expenditures are comparable .
If you contemplate original condition, you need to get a Pontiac Historical Service report on what the car originally was and if the car is a real GTO, not a clone. Then you can determine how much of the car has been changed over its 56-year history. If it was originally a tripower car and has been changed to a 4bbl car, then it will cost you about $2500 to put a tripower back on it.
If original condition is not your choice, you can update components like engine, transmission, brakes, etc. You can change interior components such as upholstery, power accessories, etc.
Personally, I would restore the car to near original condition using the original motor and drivetrain. I would keep the original paint color. I would however update the single stage master cylinder to a dual stage unit (like 66 GTO’s).
In any case, it will likely take many weeks or months to get your car back from a restoration shop, if you are lucky. And, without a specific idea as to the exact condition of the car, any budget estimate for the job will likely cost 30% to 50% more in the end.
I believe that you could buy a 65 GTO off Ebay or some other source today for what you will spend restoring your GTO.
Fortunately, you have a 65 GTO, arguably the prettiest and most stylish car Pontiac ever built.
Keep us updated with your project, particularly what you get from the historical service.
Good luck!

Old 01-15-2021, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope its a Real, REAL, resto shop that knows Pontiacs. And knows how to pre document, and bag and tag. 90% of shops are body shops with no clue on assembly of these cars. Goid luck, great car !

Old 01-15-2021, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

looks like you could wash it and drive it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72pontiac View Post
looks like you could wash it and drive it
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forums. There is a great wealth of information to be had here but sometimes you have to wade through some "mud" to get it. I really like your car and it appears to be in very nice shape. Tell us more about it. What motor and transmission is in it. Also what options are on it. Like has already been said, if you don't already have the PHS you should get it. It will tell you how your car came from the factory. Here's a link to the site: http://www.phs-online.com/

Old 01-16-2021, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome!
What a coincidence that we'd have two members who inherited '65 GTOs from their fathers here in the last few months and are here looking for advice on the restorations. I had to come back to this thread after coming across the other member's thread to make sure it was two different guys.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PJ

Looks like you've got a real solid car to start with, much better than what I started with. The worst thing I can see from the photo is the 3rd gen Firebird rims, but that's a quick and easy fix.

This is what I started with in 1992:

I've now been driving this car for over 25 years.

My attention popped when I saw Clarksville... My wife and I are considering relocating to the greater Nashville area after she retires (I'm already retired) and just in this last week I've been looking at listings in the Clarksville area... Looks like the cost of housing is significantly less, but only a short drive to Nashville.

We'll be driving right by Clarksville when we go down to the NASCAR Cup race at the Nashville Super Speedway in June.

Good luck on your project and there is a lot of help available from members here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 4.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	558581  

Old 01-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Welcome to the PY Forum and to the 64-65 GTO owners Knowledge Base.

Tom Vaught "originally" a 1964 GTO Convertible Tri-Power 4 Speed 3.90 gear owner.
I made a few changes over the years. LOL!

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PJ, don't worry about what to do with the car if you are planning to keep it. If that is the case, do what you want with it. If you are going to paint it, pick your favorite color. IF YOU DO GET A SHOP TO PAINT IT, make sure YOU GET REFERENCES. Plan on at least 6 months for that.
Chose your wheels that are correct for 65 or at least correct for Pontiac. Keep in mind, most us Pontiac guys hate to see other parts , engines, trans ect. from any other make of car.
Keeping a car completely correct with Date codes and part #'s is still desirable today, BUT if a car is done meticulously, and appears correct it is almost just as valuable today.
SO it the way that makes YOU happy
Do not hesitate to keep the Questions coming, We are here to help. There are a ton of Great guys on this site with endless knowledge of Pontiacs not just GTO's

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Welcome to the best Pontiac forum out there PJ. A restoration is exciting and exasperating at the same time. You've already picked your shop. Hopefully they are not that far away from you. Distance can be a pain. More pictures and info needed on your 65 ! good luck with your build.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am VP of the local chapter of POCI. There are a good number of us in the Nashville area so holler if you need help.