THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I got garage heat.

When I poured my shop floor, I had the floor heat tubes installed - several years ago. I was indecisive about completing it as I spend most of the winter in warmer climes. I would generally come home sometime in April. Since the ground would still be frozen/cold until into June it was always cold/cool to work in the shop. I kept thinking to complete the system to alleviate that problem. Deciding not to travel this winter (covid) I had the system completed in the fall. Its a treat to work in a shop warmer than my basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage heat (1A).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	558608  

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my friends has in-floor hydronic heat in his garage, it's wonderful stuff.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:58 PM

I did the same, had the tubing put with the floor. Haven't done the rest. Too cheap to pay tech to put in the rest. To lazy to do the work to figure out what I need.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2021, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger=better View Post
I did the same, had the tubing put with the floor. Haven't done the rest. Too cheap to pay tech to put in the rest. To lazy to do the work to figure out what I need.

The cost of the 'tech' (trained plumber) was about 10% of the total. He also clued me in on some of the specifics I did not come across while researching.
I had a fleeting thought about doing it myself. After all the research I did I did not come across some of the equipment required.
Perhaps I am lacking in my research skills.

Last edited by tooski; 01-16-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:20 PM

What about figuring out how big of a heat source?

Old 01-17-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you would move to a warmer part of Canada you wouldn't have to heat the floor, LOL. Sorry couldn't resist.
My new shop only has a Pellet stove, no heated floor. Would be nice but not require out West.
Congrat's on the heat.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you, it will be another world now. Last summer, I finally drywalled, aded attic, and heated my garage. In Montana, it was a 7 month garage use before. Not no more.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What brand boiler is that?

Old 01-17-2021, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
What brand boiler is that?
Navien condensing combiboiler.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good deal, cant beat radiant heat in the floor.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:20 AM

Nice set up, we have our shop heated with Propane, and a Generac Generator that is also hooked up to the Propane in case of power outages which we often get here in PA in the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	467458B6-C4D6-42A3-9B90-1D6BD9D6BAF4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	558677   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFC51598-9CEC-4281-BF34-8B98BE052309.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	558678  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed a 15KW electric heater (that I got for free! ) in my garage; had to rewire the garage supply for 220 V 70 Amps. I already had 220V supply to the garage but needed to upgrade the wire size and add a distribution panel. Does a nice job. I previously had a non-vented gas heater which was ok, but I would only run it to take the chill out and keep the fumes manageable. In retrospect, I should have gone with the electric version originally. The non-vented gas or kerosene version is a poor substitute.

george

Old 01-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People often comment about how electric heat are expensive to run but they aren't necessarily a bad choice for a garage, particularly if the garage is insulated and is not very big. Typically they are only used when you're out there working on the car and aren't on 24/7, so the cost of operation won't be as bad as some think. They're usually less expensive to buy and install, too (particularly if you get one for free) and they're safe heat - no concerns about fumes or carbon monoxide.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

If one can afford it, a generator is a must have, to me. Seems like it doesn’t matter what part of ‘Merica, or Canada, there can be a surprise something pop up and leave you powerless. Central Oklahoma got hammered with an ice storm. Before Halloween! We got some rare nice fall weather this year. Most of the leaves hadn’t turned color or fallen off, so the ice was heavy on limbs AND the limbs. Many trees destroyed.....

I used my portable 5500 Generac generator. Ran extension cord to fridge, another to the furnace! Sounds good? Well not completely. I didn’t know that you need to use a surge protector when using a generator. I borrowed a generator before, had no problem. It knocked out the circuit board in my HVAC system after internetting what the problem might be, I ordered a circuit board and carefully installed it, my self. Board was $150.00. From reading other folks experiences I likely saved $500-1000.00.
Just throwing out the surge protector to maybe save olsoneone else the headache!

Frank, do you have any other pictures of your system, going together?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-18-2021, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 14kw Generac that was hit by lightning back in August from the hurricane. Still waiting for the replacement. Our power doesn't go out often, but when it does it sure is nice to have power to run everything. And if we ever sell, and a buyer doesn't want it, it's going with us. It makes the house worth more too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Frank, do you have any other pictures of your system, going together?
No. When I contracted the plumber there was only the pex tubing exiting the concrete. He prefabbed most of the system in his shop. When he came for the install, I opened up the garage then left to let him do his work. He's a chatty fellow and I didn't want to interrupt him to ask questions while he was working. When he came to get me this is what it looked like. The only item not visible is the propane supply pipe.
I ran a dedicated electrical supply (the yellow cable), but he didn't use it as he said the outlet already there was sufficient. Not so, as I was using my 120 v wire feeder welder and tripped the breaker which interrupted the power to the heating system.