Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Default 77 GP Y-pipe

Hi All! This is my first post although I've been a long time lurker. Prior to this I've been able to find all the answers I've needed just by using the search function. I thank everyone for posting all of your knowledge and experience.

However, this time I'm stuck and cannot find what I need.

I've been running a 77 Grand Prix as a daily driver for the last 9 years. I'm about to turn 240K miles on the P code 350 with the 400 trans. The goal is to just get it through the rest of this winter before I actively seek out its replacement. Although I can forsee continuing to continue to drive it past that.

During these 9 years, I've been running a custom bent dual exhaust system with aluminized pipe and turbo mufflers. Now after 9 Cleveland, Ohio winters, that exhaust system is like swiss cheese. Almost weekly, I'm underneath welding up the latest crack or hole that develops.

What I would like to do is for money's sake, is to replace everything with a stock single exhaust system. But I cannot find the front Y-Pipe ANYWHERE. Walker has discontinued them and some of the other local parts houses don't have books that go back far enough. I can easily find the crossover version but not the Y-pipe.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished DS profile.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	277373  

Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Why not have a system bent up for it again? The single parts will be more $$$$$$ than this probably.

A competent exhaust shop will be able to fab up the pipes.

The car still looks decent for a daily winter driver if that's a current pic.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

x2. There is no way I would go back to a single system, unless you moved to an area that demanded the emissions control to be exact OEM spec. It will cost the same or LESS to have a shop bend up a dual system than go and purchase a single exhaust system from a parts house, then have someone fab up the crossover pipe.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

That is not a current picture. That was taken after I first got the car, went through it mechanically and then touched it up. Unfortunately it doesn't look that clean anymore. Nine cleveland winters took their toll. At best, it's a 50 footer now.

In 2003, I spent $250 on the exhaust system minus the mufflers. I can get a stock tailpipe for $44 and the intermediate pipe for $21. I can use any muffler and fab up my own test pipe where the convertor was. It's exempt from emissions.

Honestly, the car isn't worth what it would cost for a full dual system. Certainly there has to be a Y-pipe in existence SOMEWHERE. All I need is 1. The rest I can handle on my own.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Thumbs down back to single exhaust

do whatever you have to (even borrow the money) and find an independent Exhaust shop that will bend up a dual exhaust system.

I had mine done for $225.00 about 5 years ago.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, this car isn't worth a $200 repair? It must be a pile now.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Wow, this car isn't worth a $200 repair? It must be a pile now.
Finally somebody who understands what I'm trying to say. I have a plan now and will be carrying it out soon.

I certainly can afford to pay to have the pipes done for duels. Calling it a "pile" is a little harsh but that's not too far off. The car is simply NOT worth putting that kind of money into. Remember, there are 240K miles, the body is going to pot, AC doesn't work, it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles, the exhaust is falling off, the driver's seat is ripping pretty bad, the windshield is cracked,

Plain and simple, I cannot save every car I own. I chose this as a daily driver when I got it because it was affordable, in very good condition, and I could fix anything on it with stuff on the shop shelf.

The goal now is to get through the rest of the winter with it, and if it's still running decent, park it until next winter.

And just to show you guys that I know my way around a car, here are some of my other cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina resized.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	277469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977 resized 3.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	277470   Click image for larger version

Name:	p 5875.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	277471   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Bird Rearresized 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	277472  

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM

So just have the shop bend up and replace the head pipe that's leaking.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-10-2012, 02:21 AM

Default Boy do I know where your coming from!!

Welcome fellow buckeye!! Thought I was the only northeastern boy here!! If you want to go back to a single exhaust then please contact me - I'm located in Cuyahoga Falls, about five minutes from Akron. I have a friend that does custom exhaust in akron that can fab anything, without or without a bendcard for the vehicle. He did a custom dual exhaust for my Porsche 944 with a custom y-pipe over the transmission in the rear - unbeleivable work and quality fit for custom. If you have viable headpipes at the manifolds it would be nothing to fabricate a Y-pipe here at my shop also. I get some good prices on exhaust components from some of my local suppliers like H&H wheel in akron. They are currently carrying Imco brand mufflers that are constructed and styled and sound identical to flowmaster 44's for $24.00 my cost. Also got a pair of dual exhaust tail pipes for my 71 GP that fit perfectly with no modifications. Good stuff at cheap prices!

Also do you have anyone near you in cleveland that deals or owns 69-72 GP's? Trying to find one for dimensions on my car for installing a viny top - none in my area aside from one 72 and its a hardtop car- just my luck.

Beautiful cougar in your posting shots - is it a 67 or 68? Got any parts for sale? always looking for first gen mustang/ cougar parts.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi SAAC!! Thanks for the response. I'm very familiar with Cuyahoga Falls. I graduated from Walsh Jesuit '84. Currently live in Chesterland near Chardon on the east side of Cleve.

I appreciate your offer on the exhaust parts. I threw a lot of sparks off the chop saw on Saturday fabbing up my own system that worked out really well. So I'm in good shape there.

I know of one guy in Olmsted Falls with a 69 GP but his is a hardtop too. I do have a connection with Bedford Auto Trim who did the Vert top on my wife's Olds pictured above, who might be able to help you with your vinyl.

Thanks for the kudos on my 68 Cougar. It's my first car. My grandfather was the original owner and I've had it since I was 12 years old in 1978. Sorry, the only parts I have are spares that I might need some day. Anything that anyone else might have been able to use was LONG GONE years ago.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAC2110 View Post
Also do you have anyone near you in cleveland that deals or owns 69-72 GP's? Trying to find one for dimensions on my car for installing a viny top - none in my area aside from one 72 and its a hardtop car- just my luck.

Beautiful cougar in your posting shots - is it a 67 or 68? Got any parts for sale? always looking for first gen mustang/ cougar parts.
What measurements do you need from the top on a 69? Mine's an OE V/T car. The top's gone now but the trim is still there.

Have to agree with you on the Cougar. I've got a soft spot for the old kittys.

Mike

- Winston Churchill