Old 05-28-2004, 10:48 AM

I recently filled the tank on my 57 Pontiac only to find gas leaking from the sending unit. I'm pretty sure it is from the O ring but in all the years, 39 to be exact, I've never had this problem. I did change the sender about 15 years ago. I live in Phoenix Arizona and I'm wondering if the chemical composition of gas has changed and if it would cause a problem to the O ring. Lastly does anyone know where I can get a new one and if the tank needs to be dropped. Thanks

Old 05-28-2004, 10:48 AM

I recently filled the tank on my 57 Pontiac only to find gas leaking from the sending unit. I'm pretty sure it is from the O ring but in all the years, 39 to be exact, I've never had this problem. I did change the sender about 15 years ago. I live in Phoenix Arizona and I'm wondering if the chemical composition of gas has changed and if it would cause a problem to the O ring. Lastly does anyone know where I can get a new one and if the tank needs to be dropped. Thanks

Old 05-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1957 Chieftain doesn't use an o-ring. The sender has a gasket. They are available fron Chevy restoration suppliers like Danchuk.

Old 06-26-2004, 07:03 PM

There is a o-ring at the end of the filler tube and it is the same as a 56 chevy. The previous post is right that it takes a cork or rubber gasket on the top of tank.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:28 AM

Thank you Bobw48 and MH57 for your replies. As i live in Phoenix it is too hot to play with this problem now and luckily it doesn't leak when it is lower on gas so I will be waiting for the cooler months. Do you know where I can get a gasket and rubber O ring? Thanks again CW

Old 06-27-2004, 02:30 PM

My experience a year ago was one of frustration. I installed a new gasket of the "new variety" being strictly a rubber compound, and nothing but leakage. Tried a couple times to remeedy it ...no luck.

I then grabbed some cork/rubber gasket material you can buy at most parts stores by the sheet.
Cut my own gasket, installed it and not a drop since.

I generally keep the tank full, since gas gauge is not very accurate.

You should be able to change it without dropping the tank.

Best of luck
Ed

Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM

Ed, Thank you so much for your reply. Talk about frustration. This is my first car I've had since I was a kid and it seems I have to redo things so many times so hearing what works is such a great thing. That is partly the reason I don't want to touch it when it is so hot here as that only adds to the frustration.