Old 06-06-2004, 09:38 PM

Hi new here. Just bought 2 1960 pontiacs both with 389 engines. The trannsmission is in the trunk of one. Weirdest thing i ever seen. I am a mechanic and own my own shop so no stranger to transmissions but never messed with anything this old. The converter sits inside a cover with studs all the way around it and the heavy face for this cover that evidentally seals in the convertor was on the front floorboard. Anyways, when I get to thast point I was thinking it may be easier to put a more modern tranny behind it due to parts availability and finding a tranny shop that actually has anyone who knows anything about this oldie. Would a turbo 400 bolt up to the 389 block or does it have to use one of these old style turbo hydra matics(as I was told it was) behind it. I really want to use the 389 engine. Just didn't know if bellhousing bolt patterns were standard through the years for all gm automatics. Cory

Old 06-06-2004, 09:38 PM

Hi new here. Just bought 2 1960 pontiacs both with 389 engines. The trannsmission is in the trunk of one. Weirdest thing i ever seen. I am a mechanic and own my own shop so no stranger to transmissions but never messed with anything this old. The converter sits inside a cover with studs all the way around it and the heavy face for this cover that evidentally seals in the convertor was on the front floorboard. Anyways, when I get to thast point I was thinking it may be easier to put a more modern tranny behind it due to parts availability and finding a tranny shop that actually has anyone who knows anything about this oldie. Would a turbo 400 bolt up to the 389 block or does it have to use one of these old style turbo hydra matics(as I was told it was) behind it. I really want to use the 389 engine. Just didn't know if bellhousing bolt patterns were standard through the years for all gm automatics. Cory

Old 06-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi CM,

I'm working on the same type of deal. The newer trans will bolt up. The problem is on those older engines the starter bolts to the bell housing. And there is not enough meat on the block to tap for a block mount starter allowing you to use the later trans. So you can either run an adapter plate or stick with the old trans. I'm switching most of my stuff over to a later 400 block so I can use a later 4 speed setup.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm pretty sure that the 1959-60 bolt pattern is different. Starting in 61 the bolt pattern is the same through the end of pontiac production. the starter bolts to the belhousing thru 63 and on some 64's the block is drilled for the starter to mount. The old transmission is really good if you want to have it rebuilt. There is a guy named Steve Plesco on the POCI Web site that really knows these old transmissions and can probably point you in the right direction. http://www.poci.org

Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to spend about $600 bucks and have a chevy trans bellhousing,Bendtsens has a kit.It includes adapter,starter and flexplate.
transmissionadapters.com

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 PM

Thanks Bill! I believe when the time comes, I will spend the money for an adapter. I like the idea. I am just asking start up questions now. I have to get through racing season and get rid of this racecar that is eating my bank account before I can start on any resto(2 blown engines, one set of $800 double hump heads destroyed, a $1000 floater rear end almost destroyed by a rookie, and the season is not even half over yet! Geez.) After this nightmare season is over maybe I can start spending some money on my catalina which I can always drive back into my shop at the end of a night instead of pushing off a trailer in the pouring rain lol. Cory

Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try www.wilcap.com and check out their adapters.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM

Now thats even better. They show a chart listing for pontiac v8 1955 to 1960 but the only kit they show in pics below chart is for 1961 up so I do not know if it is a webpage typo or what. You click on the part link after the description and it takes you to the wrong part pic. Cory

Old 06-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The wilcap kit only covers 61-64. They were supposed to be working on a kit for 55-60, you may want to contact them and see how far they have gotten.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-19-2004, 08:09 AM

Wilcap, is selling an adapter for the 55-60 block. Its not on their web site yet. Call. You will need to build rear motor mounts, Wilcap can help. Jack

Old 06-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bendtsen's Transmission Adapters http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ had a booth at the Back to the 50's show in St. Paul this weekend. They have adapters for both 55-60 and 61-64 engines to a Chevy pattern transmission, for $595. Their products do look pretty good, plus they have them for all kinds of other oddball engine/transmission combinations, but they are more expensive than Wilcap.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dump the engine and trans and put a later 400 or 455 with a turbo 350 or 400 in and end all the problems dealing with the old stuff.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If he already has a good motor or like me have an awesome motor that was built for racing way back in the 60's (in perfect condition) upgrading to a newer block isnt the best option.My 59 4bolt main block has side mounts the same as my 68 firebird. The only potential problem I see is the pilot on the crank has a smaller register where the flywheel bolts on. My 59 manual trans housing will mount a muncie/saginaw/Super T10 etc. but I need a safety housing and will probably adapt old to new style rather than build a new block.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For a driver It makes sense to up grade to newer parts. If you have just bought a car and the engine condition is unknown it makes more sense to replace it than spend a lot of money adapting another trans. If in a short time the engine needs work then you have to rebuild an old design or waste the money spent on adapting a trans.