The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-27-2004, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the windshield, dashpad and instrument panel out of my car and want to paint the dash while I have easy access to it. An aerosol spray would be mighty convenient for a small job like that.

Anyone ever used any of the paint from "The Motor Company" in PA.? They advertise on the Classical Pontiac site and claim to be able to match any factory color and deliver it in a spraybomb. I can't get through using the phone number listed on the Classical Pontiac site.

Any other companies out there that will do this or should I just try a supply house?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the windshield, dashpad and instrument panel out of my car and want to paint the dash while I have easy access to it. An aerosol spray would be mighty convenient for a small job like that.

Anyone ever used any of the paint from "The Motor Company" in PA.? They advertise on the Classical Pontiac site and claim to be able to match any factory color and deliver it in a spraybomb. I can't get through using the phone number listed on the Classical Pontiac site.

Any other companies out there that will do this or should I just try a supply house?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The moment I posted the above message, I tried again and got through without any problems. I went ahead and ordered one aerosol can.
I'll post here to follow up on the results in case anyone is interested.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Do you have a link and or a phone number? I love to get a rattle can of the nasty light blue in my 69 FB

Thanks!

Mase

Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, got it right here-
The Motor Company
123 Blaine Street
Bangor, PA. 18013
Phone number is 1-800-358-1882

They also sell it in pints, quarts, whatever you prefer. Go to Classical Pontiac's website and look under restoration and paint.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking forward to hearing about this paint, Greg. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

Grassy A$$!

Mase

Old 09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I can say one thing for them already. They're quick!
I ordered it on Tuesday morning and it's here already on Thursday afternoon. I'll spray the ashtray tomorrow as a test.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, here's the verdict on the spray bombs from "The Motor Company". The actual name of the paint is Color Rite and they specialize in Motorcycle paints. The price listed on the Classical Years website is wrong. I wound up paying over $25 for an 11oz. can of spray paint (including shipping costs) Actual cost of the paint is $17.95. CY listed it as $14.95
Now the good part...It was delivered to my door in about 36 hours and the color match (1968 Dark Turquoise) is perfect.
I was going to add a pic but my digicam batteries bit the dust the minute I turned it on. I'll post one later.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

Gregg,
I just ordered a can of black from them for the top of the dash in my 70 Lemans. Person I spoke with wasn't sure if I would need semi gloss or flat. I ordered both but then he called back and said they couldn't get the flat. What did you use? If it was flat does it look chalky like other flat colors? I have the semi on the way just in case.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got Semi-gloss. Actually, he didn't even offer it in dead flat. I assumed from the way he was talking that he was reading from a book that only listed two options for my color and year. For the interior, the only choices I had were Dark Turquoise, Semi gloss or gloss. I chose the Semi Gloss because I didn't want glare in the windshield.
Another thing that I noticed from looking at their website is that they recommend you clearcoat most of their paints, which is something I had decided to do anyway as I'd like a little more gloss on the lower portions of my dash. I just want it to have a satin finish up near the windshield.
Here's a photo of the ashtray with a light coat of off the shelf Dupli-Color clear gloss on top as a test. It went on top of the Turquoise without any compatability issues.
The photo is a little misleading. Glare from the flash no doubt... Believe me, it's a perfect color match.