67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 F rear axle colors.

I'm cleaning up my rear end. Its a 12 bolt out of a 69 Z28. Not "correct" but thats what's there. I have seen several examples of what was "correct" but maybe over done. The center section cast iron, the tubes steel, the backing plates steel, the bolts black oxide, the drums cast iron, the pinionflange cast iron. Thats how it was after assembly, including drums, then it was hosed with a thin asphaltic semi gloss paint, then the brake lines and vent installed. This kept rust at bay till it was driven off the dealers lot. I assume I have seen over restored cars painted up like it was natural and then left like that. I would think Semigloss over the whole axle would be more correct? So thats how I may do it and then leave the drums natural. So what do you like?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best as I can tell, the axle was painted with cheap glossy paint, just enough to keep it from rusting, from manufacture until installation. The backing plates, with brakes installed (so the backs of the hold down pins were painted) Backing plate bolts, nuts exposed. The brake drums were also painted, glossy black. the yoke and front pinion seal cover was natural. Some detail them to look like they were put together yesterday, but that's not how it was. The Driveshaft was not painted, just bare. Should be natural with the ends and yoke cast iron. Some people will darken the welded area with gun blue to appear correct, then clear it or use "stainless steel" paint color for the rest. The stripes will be painted on according to the application. I dont think there was any precision to the stripes. Once it was balanced, the worker took a paint brush and held it on while it was slowly turning.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/drive-shaft-colorbands.htm

Bill Nye.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
Best as I can tell, the axle was painted with cheap glossy paint, just enough to keep it from rusting, from manufacture until installation. The backing plates, with brakes installed (so the backs of the hold down pins were painted) Backing plate bolts, nuts exposed. The brake drums were also painted, glossy black. the yoke and front pinion seal cover was natural. Some detail them to look like they were put together yesterday, but that's not how it was. The Driveshaft was not painted, just bare. Should be natural with the ends and yoke cast iron. Some people will darken the welded area with gun blue to appear correct, then clear it or use "stainless steel" paint color for the rest. The stripes will be painted on according to the application. I dont think there was any precision to the stripes. Once it was balanced, the worker took a paint brush and held it on while it was slowly turning.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/drive-shaft-colorbands.htm
I've never been clear on exactly how this was painted. I read the assembled rearend was painted out of the car from the backside and I "think" the front of the entire rearend was bare metal, mostly from the painter not wrapping around to the front side, not by design. If so, I would think the backing plates would have been partially painted as well. Take a look at this factory assembly line photo of a 69 bird. You will see what I mean about the backing plates. also, note the black paint on the exhaust pipe. Must have sprayed it as an assembly.

http://midwestfirebirds.org/wp-conte...-Lordstown.jpg

Old 12-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats an odd picture. Theres a 69 Impala ahead of it. Were they made on the same line? Its odd that the same people would assemble both as they are very different car lines and all? Different bolts, different places, etc. Maybe a trial run? I knew Camaro and Impala were at the same plant. Maybe so? I thought the fuel tank would already be installed at that point? Yes there is black paint on the tail pipe (looks purposely painted) and the exh pipe on the left side of the muffler, (like it wasnt really meant to be painted, just a sloppy job) I see the backing plates are pretty much bare. Cant see the springs, but they should be bare as they were installed on the rear axle in a different part of the plant. I sure wish there were hundreds of pictures! Just all speculation on my part. I got most of my info from a Camaro site. Seems there is more info on those models.

Bill Nye.

Last edited by TedRamAirII; 12-01-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen that photo posted and people that were on that line and in the photo taking about it. That was cool to see a photo back then and have people there that can explain it.