THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It seems the movie industry shall keep the popularity of muscle cars alive - well cars in general as long as they keep making movies about guys and racing...

Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
PY VIP

Just a quick note to thank everyone for the great response that we have seen so far. We have picked up about three hundred new subscribers so far and sold dozens of back issue libraries with no end in sight. Some of the back issues are down to less than ten copies, so grab them while you can. Thanks again for your support of the Pontiac hobby!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 04-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And we all thank you Don for continuing the tradition of Pontiac history - through the love of craft, we pass on what was as well as what could of been, or is shall be. Talk among sleeves...

Support your ideas and you too shall share what's important. Insert subject here...

Old 04-02-2017, 08:22 PM

I've been a Poncho Perfection subscriber since day 1 and my old man signed up for a print subscription at Norwalk last summer. $50 a year sounds like a lot, but its really under $5 a month, so you're talking the same price as if you went to the news stand each month. I've been a fan of Don's writing, its like talking to a car guy (or gal) at a show, which I like. For folks like me who used to subscribe to HPP, this picks up right where they left off. The magazine gets a little better each month with coverage of shows around the country and interesting articles.

If you don't want to spend the full $50, get the digital edition for less and check it out (which is what I did, but I plan on switching to the print copy when my subscription runs out this fall).

Let's be honest, Don's been in this hobby a long time and has written plenty of articles in this hobby. If you aren't sure about the magazine there are 30 years worth of sample articles from numerous sources to look at.

Check it out, you'll like it.

- Frank

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 AM
PY VIP

Getting the word out has been the toughest part of the equation- the internet and social media outlets were not reaching nearly as many people as we had hoped. When we moved to Florida, we found out that practically no one had heard of us and it was then that we got the process moving for the direct mail piece. Now, we are reaching people better than ever and our reach into the hobby continues to grow.

When people actually see the finished product, it very easy to get them to sign up- that is why we are doing the free 30-day test drive of the digital version of the magazine. It gives plenty of time to see all of the issues that we have put out, and the effort that goes into it.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 05-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the April issue late? I did not receive one.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM
PY VIP

They did go out but there has been some Periodical Class mail delays in some areas. PM me if you don't get it this week and I will send you out another one.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've received my first issue and it was the April 2017 one.

The articles are fantastic and well written about subjects that I find intriguing. Some things, known, but most not in regards to our Pontiac heritage. In general the magazine feels fresh and a bit raw when it comes to formatting. You can look at it as a constructive opinion or view as a diamond with polishing to shine bright.

As a guy in commercial advertising for way too many years and countless brands under my belt with Apple, Gap, Levis, Hewlett Packard, Sony, New Papers, periodicals, Make-up corporations and the list goes on...

The magazine could use a bit more similar formatting throughout. I know there are many contributors, articles, research and timelines that need to be met with limited resources, but to have a bit cleaner page structure does really let the reader enjoy the articles more with ease of use, rather then being drawn to dissimilar formatting and inconsistent titles, headers and styles for each article.

In some cases, it's pretty cool to see hard copy anything let alone a Pontiac specific publication in it's true form and I can't really complain much looking past the tea leaves. Just saying, it's easier to focus on content when the global look and feel follows a like kind suit.

Other then that, content is a true delight to gander through.

Great job Don and team~!

mike

Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM

received my first issue as well and really enjoyed the overall content. i do agree with 428RA4, that the overall format could benefit from some consistency article to article, but that's something that will develop over time. i also have print and digital experience and even some makeup industry background (how crazy is that??), but having the content far outweighs the nitpicking [suggestions] some of us might mention. the article with Jim Mattison was a real pleasure and helped me understand exactly where he came form, who he worked with, and how he came to be the 'PHS guy'. really enjoyed my 1st issue and glad to see a dedicated Pontiac mag!!

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 05-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Mr. Judge~!

Yeah, I control all the little girls toys for Sephora Make-up brands internationally. If you don't know what that is, go talk to your wife or daughter. I'm the king of pink~! How in the hell did I get there? Someone ran over me and they continue to this day.

Yeah, the nit picking is really an oversight due to the amount of other things required to get the rag out each month. I'm all for artistic licensing as per author, but I firmly believe in retaining individuality per article within the context of a global format. It's easier on the eyes...

but it is cool to see a publication grow with age.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden_gto View Post
received my first issue as well and really enjoyed the overall content. i do agree with 428RA4, that the overall format could benefit from some consistency article to article, but that's something that will develop over time........... having the content far outweighs the nitpicking [suggestions] some of us might mention. ............ glad to see a dedicated Pontiac mag!!
I just got my first issue. I see the format comments as once I had navigation trouble due to not knowing an article started on that page.... BUT... the content.... mojo.... intent.... the obvious quest for accurate history, not fluffy stuff, all is great AAAA+ I could live with it as is, as the plusses so greatly outweigh some tidiness minutia. I am excited to be getting it. And when Don ponies up with his round port bird promises Seriously, I am very grateful this Don Dude has a passion and is willing to probably spend a ton of time on it. THX!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 PM
PY VIP

If anything, I have thought that the formatting was too consistent. There is a definite look for the columns, one for the features and one for the events. We are also catering to an older crowd, one that isn't real happy with flashy, trendy layout design. I think we present the content in a way that makes the most of the photography and above all else, is easy to read. Font sizes do not go below 10 points and are usually closer to 11 points and leading is 15.5 points. We purposely do not follow current trends in design because in 20 years, we want it to have a traceable design to the earliest issues. We aren't corporate, we don't look corporate and we like it that way.

Plus, the magazine was designed to go together quickly. I am the only full-time staffer and I serve as editor and art director. Ann is the managing editor. That is it. The rest of the people who contribute are freelancers. We are also doing other magazines as well, so time is critical.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Last edited by Don Keefe; 05-01-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: detail clarification
Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Completely understand Don and you are doing a wonderful job. Like I said in an earlier post, you can revel in the uniqueness that it is or become a critic about what's been done in the past. Font sizes is not the issue as far as readability. When designing something for ease of readability, having more then lets say more then 4, max 5 type faces along with serif and san serif text - excluding advertisements, - it becomes cumbersome to read at times. That's all I'm saying.

Your content is FANTASTIC and no one is disagreeing with that statement. It would be nice if it was a bit easier to read by cleaning up the format. Having templates, which you may have already would assist in this endeavor. The clean non border pages are refreshing and very non corporate and I'm not asking you to go in that direction. Form vs. function is always a challenge and in no way are we being critical of your work in an offending manner. I understand all aspects of the challenges you face in producing the publication each month. I will also go as far as offering you assistance if you so choose to do so.

best
mike

Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 PM
PY VIP

No offense taken. The magazine will obviously evolve over time and we will continue to make improvements where necessary. I appreciate the kind words- we are obviously concentrating on the content and we will continue to strive for excellence.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had a problem reading anything in the magazine. IF i do then "I might need thicker glasses".
Wasn't that statement in a movie once ?

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Most of us "seasoned" [ahem] readers enjoy the heck out of "Poncho Perfection", with no need for "global format". We "focus on content" just fine, finding nothing to label "raw" or "inconsistent". As for "page structure"- we devour the many pages full of high-quality color images and fascinating text.

Best of luck Don!

Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, will you have any copies available at Norwalk? I am thinking about subscribing, but would love to get my hands on one and have a look before i do. It may benefit you in picking up some more subscribers.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jack -

There's a fine line between professional and amateur. That line is very thick. Just because someone can go out and buy a fast car does not mean they can drive it well. I for one would be deadly scared to handle a 5 second car. The same can be said for buying software. Anyone now days can be a designer. Anyone can be an engine builder. Anyone can do anything if they apply themselves, but when you need to make money with it, the game changes along with competition. If you have infinite amount of time to read and are used to grease stained pages as you thumb through a magazine on the can, then I guess your standards are different. There are good engine builders, bad ones and great ones. Same goes for print production.

I for one want Don to be very successful in his endeavor so that we can all enjoy the product for a very long time. Capturing an audience is part of the challenge along with gathering new younger readers as well. It's just smart business sense to appeal to a larger audience with ease of use.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM
PY VIP

We will have issues available there. In the meantime, check out the digital version. It's free access for the first 30 days. Cancel before 30 days and you pay nothing.

http://ponchoperfection.com/premium-magazine-area/

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author: