Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 AM

Hey All,

I'm new here, and have already got alot of info just reading all of these posts.

Here's the story. My mother in-law is selling her farm. On it she has a few old cars, one of which is a 63 Tempest wagon. Out of all of them it's the one I like the best. It's been in the barn for atleast 25 years. My wife's lazy brother has partialy dismantled the motor. other than that it's pretty clean, the interior does need to be redone, and a new paint job is needed.

Anyways she said I could have it. Here is the idea/question.

Sitting in my garage I have a rebuilt 400 out of a 66 GTO just sitting around. It was left by a guy who owed me money. I would like to drop this into the wagon and make a nice little rodwaggon. From what I've read so far this might be a little hard. Are there modern after market transaxles made that will handle the power. I would rather not cut up the body to install a regular trany.

Hopefully I'll be getting it home in the next few weeks, but I am having double hernia surgery on Tue so that might set me back a little. As soon as i get it I'll post some pics.

It does look as if this is the right place to be so any info/help you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks
TrashMan

Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 AM

Hey All,

I'm new here, and have already got alot of info just reading all of these posts.

Here's the story. My mother in-law is selling her farm. On it she has a few old cars, one of which is a 63 Tempest wagon. Out of all of them it's the one I like the best. It's been in the barn for atleast 25 years. My wife's lazy brother has partialy dismantled the motor. other than that it's pretty clean, the interior does need to be redone, and a new paint job is needed.

Anyways she said I could have it. Here is the idea/question.

Sitting in my garage I have a rebuilt 400 out of a 66 GTO just sitting around. It was left by a guy who owed me money. I would like to drop this into the wagon and make a nice little rodwaggon. From what I've read so far this might be a little hard. Are there modern after market transaxles made that will handle the power. I would rather not cut up the body to install a regular trany.

Hopefully I'll be getting it home in the next few weeks, but I am having double hernia surgery on Tue so that might set me back a little. As soon as i get it I'll post some pics.

It does look as if this is the right place to be so any info/help you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks
TrashMan

Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What was the original engine that was in the car?

Old 09-12-2004, 07:27 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a four, but I'll have to go down and look to make sure.

TrashMan

Old 09-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine cradle, (which is a removable part, along with the entire front suspension, is specific to either a 4 cyl engine block or the V8 that was only made to accept a Pontiac block in one year only,(1963-326). There are crossmembers made special for each type of engine block & mounts. The 4 cyl engine bay, you cannot easily bolt a V8 engine into unless you remove & re-weld different motor mount stands into. Perhaps some of the other race car builders can shed some more light on this, but putting a 389 or Pontiac 400 block into the engine bay of what was a 4 cyl Tempest is no bolt-in swap! Many people like to talk about doing this but the reality of it, is the 61-3 Tempests is a roughly 3,000 lb. car. With suspension taken largely
from the early 1960s Chevrolet Corvair. These little Tempests can be built to fly with the proper drivetrain in them but the brakes & suspension also would need to be brought up to modern standards for some fun with all of the HP that a Pontiac 400 engine would provide. Normal hand tools plus a complete fabrication shop with welding equipment a lift, etc. is really what you need to build a really nice car out of one of these.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done 2 421 SD motors on a 4cyc X member.Just takes a little welding,really not a big deal if you are going to tackle a 63 tempest front trans project.If you are going to try and use the powerglide, might want to try and find a V 8 X member.Tom

Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM

well if that's the case, I might as well just do a frame up project. That way I can redo the whole driveline.

TrashMan

Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 PM

First of all I don't of very many 1966 GTO 400's
You need to get the number's off your motor to
find out what you have (head # also)
I have set a 69 motor on 4 banger mounts but it was way to wobbly (You need to cut off 1 bolt hole on your bracket-to-motor and pay attention
to the offset spacers)But it will work with
brackets built from head to frame to keep the
motor from moving around.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Here are the numbers I have.

Block # 9778789

Made June 28 1965

That's if I did it right. I'm pretty sure I did.

I would get the rest of the #' but I had a double hernia surgery yesterday, so I'm getting around a little slow right now.

TrashMan

Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read someplace that the 4 cyl engine was offset to one side in the engine compartment & that the factory welded mount suppport towers were not "centered" on the X-member to start with. Maybe this could be corrected with some cutting & welding.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:19 AM

I have no problem with redoing the engine mounts. I have access to all of that stuff. That's why after reading all the stuff here I'm thinking it will probably be easier to redo the whole drive line instead of trying to mate the 400 to the trans axle.

TrashMan

Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

The 4 cyl motor mounts are offset about 1" toward the drivers side. The V8 motor mounts are offset about 1" toward the passenger side.
What happens if you use a V8 with the 4 cyl mounts is the headers on the drivers side is right up against the steering shaft.It can be made to work but is not the hot setup.
You can call East -West auto parts and see if he has a 63 V8 cradle he can sell,then there is no welding,just remove 6 bolts and transfer all yout suspension and steering to the right cradle.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:12 PM

Just so you all know the motor is a 389. I got so use to the guy who owned it calling it a 400 it kind of stuck.

TrashMan

Old 10-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TrashMan, Look for the two letter code below the pass side head on the front of 389 to find out what HP it has, Good luck on your wagon.