Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Hi. I'm a new member and a relatively new owner of a 63 Lemans convert with a 4 cyl engin and I am hoping someone can help me with two questions. I was told 326 cu. in. engin from later years (64,65,66)will not "bolt in" my 63Lemans because of a starter issue. True/not ture? Also can anyone tell me about the ease of swaping an earlier 215 cube V8. Practical or not?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Tomtronhp
(This was posted earlier on the wrong site so it is kind of a repost)

Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Hi. I'm a new member and a relatively new owner of a 63 Lemans convert with a 4 cyl engin and I am hoping someone can help me with two questions. I was told 326 cu. in. engin from later years (64,65,66)will not "bolt in" my 63Lemans because of a starter issue. True/not ture? Also can anyone tell me about the ease of swaping an earlier 215 cube V8. Practical or not?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Tomtronhp
(This was posted earlier on the wrong site so it is kind of a repost)

Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is more of a torque shaft issue. The later 326's are not machined & threaded on the end of the crankshaft to bolt up the torque shaft. Several other things to consider, do you have a 3 speed or 4 speed or automatic? Everything for the 63 326 was different from the 4 cyl. You will also need a V8 front crossmember or fabricate mounts for the V8. Your best bet is to find a complete 326 drivetrain to convert over or keep the 4 cyl. I think "Axle" in California has a 326 setup for sale.

POCI.org
Old 10-28-2004, 09:55 AM

Can any crank be machined to accept the torque shaft? So that any Pontiac V8 can be installed or would there be other issues (engine mounts, etc.) Isn't there a difference in OD also between the 4 and 8 cylinder torque shafts? My brother-in-law is in the midst of looking for parts for this swap in a '62 lemans w/4 cylinder auto, and I'd like to make sure he knows what he's doing. Any advice appreciated.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the V8 rope shaft is larger,if you use a lateer engine,I think you need to drill and tap the crank flange and need to use a early flywheel and starter.I think if you use a stick shift setup you dont need to mess with the crank flange.Check with Ken at East west auto in tulsa.He has done all kinds of engine swaps.Tom

Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to Ken,if a auto you need to drill and tap the crank,if a stick shift you will need the stock 63 tempest V8,flywheel,bellhousing and V8 TQ tube.NOT a good idea to do a stick shift with larger than a 326.I would do a auto car if you want to put a bigger engine.Tom

Old 10-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 4 cyl torque shaft is 5/8 in. dia. The 326 shaft is 3/4 in. dia. There is also differences in the transmissions. Only 3 speed manual or 2 spd auto with the 326. 4 cyl you could get the 4 spd but it wont hold up to the 326 power. There is differences in the internals of the automatics. A 4 cyl auto wont last long behind a 326.

POCI.org