Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking old scca trans am

hey look what i got today. this is a 76 trans am scca racer. this car was raced fron 76 until 80 and has been sitting ever since. in addition to the car it also came with a uhaul of parts like a set of round port 197's , nib. crane roller rockers , herb adams cast aluminum oil pan, accusump system, vse oil cooler, and probably every herb addams suspension part made, in addition the car has a full cage and numerous chasis mods including a disc rear and a full nascar sstyle front brake setup. the body is compleat except for the front fenders but it does still have all the factory color molded flares and front spoiler. there is no interior except for the dash, steering colum , t/a wheel. a new back seat[taken out in 76 and an original rear seat consol and this is just the stuff i see unloading the truck .this was in the swap sheat since december and noone even came to look at it
Tha ad read 1976 trans am project car new motor lots of parts.

i haven't decided what to do with it yet so does anyone have any sugestions???

Last edited by GTOWAGON; 01-13-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh i forgot the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250004.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	47398   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250005.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	47399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250006.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	47400  

Old 03-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool deal - I'd put it back together as raced, just make sure everything works so it's street legal.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Chief

I`m jealous.............

Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this car still has the dealer title it has never been registered!!!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting oil pan...looks to be for a dry sump.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a pair of fenders - paint it 73 Admiral Blue metallic and put a 73 nose piece on it. Drive it like all hell just broke loose every chance you get.

Pictures would look nicer without that sloppy spit can sitting on the trailer. Or were you drinking that stuff ?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty cool car! Sounds like you got a real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
Interesting oil pan...looks to be for a dry sump.
I remember reading a magazine article about Herb Adams back when he first starting selling his Fire-Am stuff; one of the parts he offered was a special oil pan with enough clearance allow installation of his 180 degree headers, maybe it's one of those.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice find. The fact that it hasnt ever been titled makes the car worth a lot in my eyes.....At first i might think that a restoration might be in order, in race trim or factory.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this car has a lot of work done to it a full cage herb addams front and rear bars all aluminum bushings in the front end nascar 4 piston calipers and rotors 79 t/a 3:23 posi disc rear and adjustable shocks allaround. the interior [realy nothing in there except the colum and a cordoba racing seat] is painted grey and the entire subframe firewall rad support and underside of the car is painted black. i can not see a speck of rust anywhere on this car. the only thing it is missing is the front fenders[which i am looking for] also the inside of the passanger door has been cut out which is a shame because the door if perfect otherwise so i will need one of these.i just noticed the original mileage of this and it is only 19,000. i will post some better pics of this tommorow when i can start digging through things and get the car cleaned out, i was realy tired after a 12 hour day getting this home , every time i came out of the truck after loading there was another pile in the driveway for me this went on for 4 hours!! and i will still have to make another trip back to pick up the other stuff[3 more engines two rears and who knows what else? one more thing this was a first for me i had made the deal on this for 2500 he was asking 3000 this was over the phone after just seeing a few pics when i got there i gave him the 3000!!!!!!!! he was realy a great guy to deal with he even threw in a bunch od old dealer promo stuff from his dads pontiac dealership {see side of car] sorry this is so long .

Old 03-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Pretty cool car! Sounds like you got a real deal.

I remember reading a magazine article about Herb Adams back when he first starting selling his Fire-Am stuff; one of the parts he offered was a special oil pan with enough clearance allow installation of his 180 degree headers, maybe it's one of those.
Ok the oil pan i had seen a thread on this before and it was mentioned that this was a dry sump pan i asked the car owner about this and he said that this does use a conventional oil pump{then he gave me 3 of them] i will be removing the pan tomorow and post pics

Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the car come with the SCCA logbook? It would be interesting to know its race history.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Chief

Vintage car racing would be great fun with that T/A!

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i did get a couple books i have not gone through them yet he also showed me pics of it racing at watkins glen,road america,riverside and a few other tracks i can't rember. he is going to copy all his pics of the car and send them to me and his best finish was second

Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
Did the car come with the SCCA logbook? It would be interesting to know its race history.
Ok i dragged my lazy a## out to the Carhole and got the books one is full of pics of the building of the car [cage subframe underside]. the other one is just his tuning notes, cage specs and suspension details . i will ask about the book next time i talk to him

Old 03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Was a National SCCA Tech Inspector for 11 years. There should be a log book with all of the Tech sign-offs, when the car raced, and at what tracks. Would give you a really nice history on the car.

Congrats of getting the car.

A friend of mine has the Herb Adams Appliance Wheel Silver Bird
race car. Herb was a good racer.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's funny that Tom mentioned the Adams Silverbird...I was searching around the Internet to see if I could find any pictures of the car you bought; I couldn't find it anywhere but I did find this cool picture of the Silverbird from the 1978 Trans Am race at Mosport.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mosport-1978-08-20t-001.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	47427  

Old 03-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did find this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lastscan.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	47430  

Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Boost Engineer

My 78 TA came out of Norwalk too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neat! It seems like it was optioned pretty well for a racecar - it even came with floormats, a rear console and an 8 track.

Closed Thread