Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D6GOAT View Post
but i did get on it once...i just couldnt resist. i manually shifted it. from a rolling start i put er down, she took off as expected, i slap it into second...got a nice chirp then WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHh the boost came and the tires broke lose...my eyes lit up, i quickly countersteered to keep her straight... it actually kind of scared the crap out of me (in a good way) so i quickly backed off and shifted into 3rd and then checked my pants. the data log showed 8.5 pounds of boost. also alot of smoke at WOT. im hoping its simply that the rings arent seated...i doesnt really have that much time running but seems i have read that moly rings seat quickly. we will see.

next its re bleed the brakes...re adjust the TV cable..a couple tweeks to the fuel map.

i do plan on getting some video of it.
Are you breaking in the new motor/rotating assembly with that turbo? We always use junk turbos to break in new motors. Any small shavings could possibly make their way into the turbo, and next thing you know, bye bye turbo. Hope that smoke at WOT under boost is not the case in this instance .

Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

no, i dont have any extra turbos laying around...i just hope my oil filter does what its suppose to.

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

UPDATE..

so a month or so ago i was taking the girls to school in the pontiac, she started to sound a little rough...the more i drove it the rougher and rougher she ran. by the time i got to their school it was literally poping and sputtering as we pulled up. she would barely idle, it sounded like there was someone inside the motor trying to bang their way out with a ball peen hammer....BANG..BANG..BANG..BANG..BANG. so i called triple AAA. i had it towed home and just threw it in the garage and put it on the back burner thinking it had let a rod go or something. sat for about a month then i had some time to tinker with it. i pulled the valve covers off to find that my number 6 exhaust rocker had backed almost completely off..as in like 1/2 inch of lash.

then i noticed that the number 6 intake pushrod was bent. im theorizing that the ex valve backed up not allowing exhaust to exit the motor causing alot of cylinder pressure that the intake valve now had to push into to causing the push rod to bend and when it did open it would POP into the intake.

so i installed new pushrods and fired her up and she purred like a kitten (well a kitten with piston slap) anyways, i was completely amazed how much noise and what kind of noise exhaust gasses can make when they are forced to exit out the intake.

she is back on the road now, my fiancee and I spent most of the weekend with the top down running around. BUUUTT i think ive damaged my torque converter now. its making a funny noise at WOT. the tranny shop that built it for me sent me a new on i just havent had the time to install it yet.

PS and the rings seem to finally be seating

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

VIDEO! VIDEO! VIDEO! V-I-D-E-O!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GP69 View Post
HS you serious! 585$ LOL i thought the Procharger was a good deal, Turbo is where its at for Power
For anyone interested I sell the S474 for $575.00
I can get you wastegates, and BOVS

And I am also in production with turbo headers for pontiacs.

They fit 67 to 69 bird and also should fit the X body platform as well.
check out the thread at PZONE for info.

Glad to see some guys over here getting thier turbos on as well.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Converters may be an issue with this car on the track It took me forever to find the right converter after BLowing through most companies tight Blower converters. I finally ended up with a niel chance ordered through "turbo people"

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Okay now Vic, we need an update here!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:50 PM

Yeah, how much $$$ do you have into your "Kit"? $575 plus the price of metal? Was your 400 pretty much stock when you had the turbo on it?

Also can you go more in depth of how you make your setup? I am trying to make my own for my 80 Trans Am. Like measurements etc..

Thanks, your thread inspired me .

Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Okay now Vic, we need an update here!
Sorry it took so long Bart. It has been back burnered for a while now. But the update now is...
i blew a head gakset and decided to pull the motor to replace the pistons that were in it because they were slapping (too much piston to wall clearance)
so i had it bored and a short block
rebuilt to 467 filled to lower water pump hole.
had the heads re done.
still running the good ole summit 2802 with 1.65 rockers (push rod holes enlarged).

i just finished the rest of the assembly yesterday and hope to put it in today. I pulled the turbo and fabbed up a down pipe from the frame mounted T 6 flange to the rest of the exhaust. my idea is to break the motor in without the turbo...then slap the turbo back on it. when the turbo is back on i will leave the turbo bypass pipe in the trunk, that way if the turbo siezes up or something im just 5 bolts away from getting it back on the road and home.

here is a pic of the motor withe the exhaust tubing mocked up on it for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0125.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	179745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0126.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	179746  

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Staying with the pontiac motor, then?

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, keeping it Pontiac.

im runnign it without the turbo and MAN..i cant believe how loud it is. I cant even drive it its so loud. so im going put the duals mufflers back on it hopefully on monday.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What static CR are you running with the new engine?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

with out CC'ing the heads its right about 8.5 to 1

I took it out for a spin yesterday. Thought I would throw a little boost at it. It appears that my waste gate isnt working now. Before I would get a good steady 7 or 8 lbs of boost.

I got on it and was watching the boost gauge and in about 3 seconds I saw it climb form 0 to 5 to 10 to almost 15 lbs, I let off of it. my data logger showed 13 lbs of boost at 4800 rpm.

sooo, as much fun as that was im not going to be doing that again until I figure out my wastegate problem.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

13 psi = How do you like the spool time of the 467 compared to the 400?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My blown 346c/i LS1 snatched 412hp at the wheels on 7psi and it's pretty unforgiving if you're not careful when it comes into positive pressure.... 13psi out of a S475 turbo into a 467 would be an outright ring puckering experience if you didn't expect it

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
13 psi = How do you like the spool time of the 467 compared to the 400?
Its kind of hard to compare because I had the 6 speed behind the 400. Now I have a 700R4. I happy with the spool time now. This 13 PSi blast wasnt that scary. I had the timing set way conservative. Which brings me to my next topic....timing and boost.

I know the basics behind anti lag systems and proposed the idea and the forced induction forums and PZ. I had my entire spark map retarded from what it used to be. Just slowly accelerating I would hear the turbo spooling up. I know my exhaust temps are/were alot higher.

My spark map is optimal now (at least i think so) Nice and peepy off the line. But I am going to play with the numbers during WOT just at 95-100 KPa cells. im going to pull the timing back to 15 degrees, then 20 etc and see what effect that has on spool time. I ll post the results but first i have to figure out whats wrong with the wastegate.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

I think we've been going a bit conservative on our timing with these cars.
And been talking to a few of the pros that have said as much

...was told to start increasing timing by the guys at precision turbos

I started at 20, I'm at 25 now.
And it seems fine at 20 lbs of boost. 25 lbs of boost and it doesn't quite like it
I think i'll try 30 today @ 15 or so lbs

(i might have a bit less compression than you do) 6x-8 heads on a 389

I'm also adding a MSD rpm activated switch today. Pull 10 degrees of timing at 3,000 rpm. So i'll try 35 initial locked out, and pull 5 or 10 at 3,000 rpm

I guess you don't have that issue with your mapping stuff. But still, i'd go higher on the timing...i think it'll take it

Have you looked into meth injection? I like mine. That might be why I can be more aggressive
Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your testing

Also interested in the difference in your spool time between the two
Was it significant?

I'm about to go from the 389 that spools at 3,000 - 3500 to a 461. Hoping it spools at 2,000 -2500 or so

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE

Last edited by baron_; 09-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D6GOAT View Post
Its kind of hard to compare because I had the 6 speed behind the 400. Now I have a 700R4. I happy with the spool time now. This 13 PSi blast wasnt that scary. I had the timing set way conservative. Which brings me to my next topic....timing and boost.

I know the basics behind anti lag systems and proposed the idea and the forced induction forums and PZ. I had my entire spark map retarded from what it used to be. Just slowly accelerating I would hear the turbo spooling up. I know my exhaust temps are/were alot higher.

My spark map is optimal now (at least i think so) Nice and peepy off the line. But I am going to play with the numbers during WOT just at 95-100 KPa cells. im going to pull the timing back to 15 degrees, then 20 etc and see what effect that has on spool time. I ll post the results but first i have to figure out whats wrong with the wastegate.

Im locked at 34 pulling back to 24 at 10 psi. thats with spraying water/meth mix. It took me several months of playing with the timing to get up to 24 degrees, added a little at a time. Dont add too much at once!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hold on...let me explain my plan a little better...

With my fuel injection I can put what ever timing advance/retard where ever I want. what ever RPM or vacuum /boost level.

I have a good map for cruising...40 plus degrees advance. At 8 PSI i have 25 degrees currently. What I was thinking about playing with is putting 10, 15 or 20 degrees JUST at ZERO boost (atmospheric pressure) with the idea that the retarded timing would put a lot of the combustion event and heat in the exhaust which I think will spool the turbo quicker. once the boost starts to comes in the advance would jump back up to like 30 degrees at 1 lb..28 at 2lbs...27 at 3 lbs...and on down.

I could even richen my fuel levels at the same area of the map to further fuel the fire if i want to.

Just an idea. Not sure it will even make a difference but it only takes about 30 seconds to change my spark map with my laptop so im going to give it a try.

Also, I am running a water/alcohol setup.

And, I took my wastegate apart tonight. The valve was completely frozen. I was able to free the valve. It was just all crudded up and a little bit rusty. I took some steel wool and cleaned it up and very lightly lubed it with some 20W50 synthetic. Im thinking that it got a good dose of moisture when I blew the head gasket on the last motor...or maybe it was frozen and thats why it blew the head gasket. Either way I think its fixed. I hope to give it a test drive tomorrow.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FI sounds like the way to go! The carb is cheaper but a bit more challenging to tune.lol.

Im running a e-bay wastegate I take it apart to check it a few times a year. I use high temp nickle anti-sieze on the valve stem and I havent had any issues.