Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
First, nice car Lloyd. I've been following the thread but didn't have anything intelligent to ad. Go figure.

I had Rocky Rotella curve an HEI for me. He did a fine job. I'm not sure on the source for the gear.

Oh, and you guys have convinced me to not bother trying to make my car "correct". I think I'll just hot rod the crap out of it and be happy 'cause I'd never get all the lines, codes and colors right!
Thanks, Chris!

have yet to contact Rocky, but he's first on my short list. Last I heard though - he was getting out of the distributor curve biz.

Good news - my new SD replacement carburetor is installed, after some careful tweaking by yours truly. The car ROCKS now - it will spin the tires on dry concrete as long as I keep my foot in it! YEEEEEE_HAWWWWW!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd, here is a teaser picture of one of my rebuilt alternators. Good for '71-4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RebuiltAlt.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	159688  

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd,Glad to see you got a little power back! I told my brother you said the car was a pig,and he said "really?" Then i told him that somebody put that SD carb back on,and he just laughed, and said"no engine would run good with that thing,wait until he gets a good carb back on it"

Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd:

Does the car have a real SD cam in it? If it does, I believe that BOP sell an SD/RA-V gear for them. At least they used to. As I recall it was pretty pricey.

Glad to hear it's running better. They are torque monsters when tuned well.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Lloyd:

Does the car have a real SD cam in it? If it does, I believe that BOP sell an SD/RA-V gear for them. At least they used to. As I recall it was pretty pricey.

Glad to hear it's running better. They are torque monsters when tuned well.
I'm fairly certain that the Glasgos installed an SD style cam, though it's an aftermarket grind. In fact, I'd like to find out exactly what the grind is, I need to ask!

I went to BOP's website - no mention of a RA5/SD distribtuor gear, so I need to call and ask. Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I'll let you know what I find out.

It is running SO much better with a good carburetor it's impossible to describe the difference - I suppose that night and day comes to mind. I'll bet it couldn't have turned a 205/70 tire yesterday, yet today after installing the 4910 carb it is melting the P255/60's darned near off the car - it tears your head off, LOL!

Once I get the distributor taken care of it's gonna be just fine!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Lloyd,Glad to see you got a little power back! I told my brother you said the car was a pig,and he said "really?" Then i told him that somebody put that SD carb back on,and he just laughed, and said"no engine would run good with that thing,wait until he gets a good carb back on it"
Thanks, John, and yep - it's running oh, about 500% better now!

I'm gonna tear into the 4270 carb when I have some time and see what has been butchered up. It ran - quite simply - just plain awful, from idle quality to WOT. Primary throttle blades are hanging up in the bores as well.

Anyway, on to another subject. I realize that this could be a time consuming task, but could y'all reference your records on the engine build in my car and either send me the cam card and/or tell me what exact camshaft was installed? I would be most grateful.

The balance of the parts and labor I've got figured out, along with speaking with y'all the other day. Great work, and it runs AWESOME with a good carburetor installed on it, LOL!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
I went to BOP's website - no mention of a RA5/SD distribtuor gear, so I need to call and ask. Thanks for the heads-up, Bob. I'll let you know what I find out.
Listed under Pontiac, factory replacement parts. VDG78 $199.99

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Listed under Pontiac, factory replacement parts. VDG78 $199.99

I somehow overlooked it - thanks Mike!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd,last time i was in the car,the cam card,and the piston card was in the console.The cam we had made(correct sd cam gear),224/236,asymmetrical lobes,lift 460ish,112 ls.Chucks son was going to drive it to TA nats,so we left distributer alone.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Lloyd,last time i was in the car,the cam card,and the piston card was in the console.The cam we had made(correct sd cam gear),224/236,asymmetrical lobes,lift 460ish,112 ls.Chucks son was going to drive it to TA nats,so we left distributer alone.
Thanks, John.

Last time I spoke with Chuck he mentioned having a few docs for the car, so I'll check in with him.

By the way - do you recall what company ground the camshaft? Sounds like it might be a Bullet grind?

I'm hoping that once I get everything dialed in - and mount some sticky tires - that the SD will run fairly close with my Formula HO (clone), see sig.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a bullet cam.Once the distributor is done ,and a decent exhaust system,you should be in the 12,s with no problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once again, thanks John.

If it doesn't quite match my Formula's performance I won't be too disappointed, as I've already ordered a $2K! Gardner system for the car. Restrictive - yep, but will look and sound like a stocker SD, and I really like the way they sound with the stock exhaust system.

I'm gonna order up that BOP SD distributor gear on Monday, and then have my spare 243 distributor recurved to my specs.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
I'm gonna order up that BOP SD distributor gear on Monday, and then have my spare 243 distributor recurved to my specs.
My bad - I was going from the MPC, which does of course list incorrect production '73 and '74 distributor numbers. My spare is indeed an 1112205 which was out of a '74 SD automatic.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John:

Can these cams with the SD gear configuration still be purchased? I would love to have an updated cam with the proper SD gear available. Are different profiles available? Please advise if you have the time.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
John:

Can these cams with the SD gear configuration still be purchased? I would love to have an updated cam with the proper SD gear available. Are different profiles available? Please advise if you have the time.
Bob, This may not be a direct answer to your question, but it is kind of on the same subject. Currently, My SD engine is in the shop for a "freshing up". The replacement Crane cam that has been in the engine since 1986 has some wear on the lobes. I'm told that it can be reground and I can go with pretty much a stock SD set-up. Apparently, blanks for the SD cam with the different size distributor drive gear are no longer available and are not being reproduced?? That being said, I have several options, one being use a standard Pontiac cam, two, regrind the existing old SD cam, three, use a standard Pontiac roller cam. With the standard Pontiac cams, I'm told that, using a composite distributor gear allows me to keep my original SD 2205 distributor and would keep the engine looking original. I will be going with option three. Additionally, a bronze/brass distributor gear was also suggested but the composite gear, I'm told, has better reliability.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
John:

Bob - the engine in my car was built by the Glasgos in late 2007. As John posted above, the cam came from Bullet, so I suppose that they can still grind a Pontiac cam with the gennie SD gear.

http://www.bulletcams.com/

They ground the cam for my Formula a few years back, and I've been pleased with it. They're nice guys, and willing to discuss over the phone. Give 'em a ring.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Formula View Post
Additionally, a bronze/brass distributor gear was also suggested but the composite gear, I'm told, has better reliability.
The BOP gear is great on cams that have been run in. But, on a new cam use the bronze gear first then eventually go to the BOP gear. The bronze is more sacrificial to the new cam gear with any sharp edges or burrs that it still may have from production.The bronze is much cheaper as well. On a first oil change you can find plenty of bronze shavings in the bottm of your drain pan. It works.

I found this lesson out the hard way..Bronze first then BOP.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qikta View Post
The BOP gear is great on cams that have been run in. But, on a new cam use the bronze gear first then eventually go to the BOP gear. The bronze is more sacrificial to the new cam gear with any sharp edges or burrs that it still may have from production.The bronze is much cheaper as well. On a first oil change you can find plenty of bronze shavings in the bottm of your drain pan. It works.

I found this lesson out the hard way..Bronze first then BOP.
Any comments on the composite gear?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Formula View Post
Any comments on the composite gear?
The bronze gear will go about 10K miles without noticable timing issues. The BOP will go 2-3 times further. Just use the bronze first.

I still keep a spare BOP in the tool box just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03322.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	160052  

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
My bad - I was going from the MPC, which does of course list incorrect production '73 and '74 distributor numbers. My spare is indeed an 1112205 which was out of a '74 SD automatic.
Lloyd,

Do you have an MPC that shows 1112243 distributor for an SD-455?

I am curious because none of my MPC's list that number.

I have seen a number of the 1112243 distributors, most were NOS and it was my assumption that if you ordered the 1112205 before it was discontinued, you recieved the 1112243 distributor? I have always referred to the 1112243 as the "service replacement" SD distributor.

All cars I have seen or owned with the original distributor, both 73 and 74, have been 1112205. Some early 73's have had a 72 date code, but most 73 and 74 cars have had 73 date codes on the distributor.

Another SD distributor that I have seen a few examples of is the 1112218. This is the early or "pre-emission change" 73 SD distributor. It was listed in the 73 MPC for the 73 SD 455 codes W8 and Y8. This distributor would not have been installled on a production SD car as they were all built after the mid year emission change. The ones I have seen must have been ordered from the MPC before they were discontinued.

The only place I have seen the 1112243 distributor listed is in the 74 service manual. It lists both the 1112205 and the 1112243 with the 243 under the column titled "uniset distributor."

Just made me curious about the 243, maybe you can enlighten me.