Old 04-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

The flash makes it look pretty crusty inside but its not horrible either. I got a new console lid and installed the shifter. Thanks Ms. Ladytata.

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 04-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Looking good. Just don't use armor all or silicone pls...try some paste black shoe polish with a shoe brush to work it into the vinyl dash....and multi stage buff and polish like you'd do a good pair of shoes...

Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

So all is good with shifter? And did you try the his and her bump it yet?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytata View Post
So all is good with shifter? And did you try the his and her bump it yet?

Yes. I heavily lubed and exercised the cable you sent me. It now works better than the crappy aftermarket cable. I may tow it to the Pigeon Forge rod run tomorrow and take it on a small road trip. It hasn't been driven since 1992. What could go wrong?

Old 04-13-2016, 05:17 AM
Senior Chief

Drive it like you stole it, have fun.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Senior Chief

First road test! One hour in the middle of the night. Some squeaks and a couple of clunks but otherwise OK.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like that photo....^^^

Old 04-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Did you buy a replacement 80 amp alternator? Your original would have been stamped 1101016.

Do you have a close up picture of the idler pulley? It may be a good idea to replace the bearing before it goes together for good.

I now know why you asked for a picture. It's rattling and is the non serviceable type. I ordered the Gates replacement pulley and bolt stuff found in another thread. Good thing we have this forum or I would never have found anything.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Senior Chief

I drove 176 miles this weekend around the Pigeon Forge Rod Run...

Saw a wedding...

Saw an air show...

Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Found a crusty hood in Pennsylvania. They're not exactly on every corner.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 AM
Suspended

If your dash & interior are looking a bit flat & it's a bit dirty as can be seen in the pic's. The very best way to CLEAN it is to use the orange pumice hand cleaner with a warm wet rag. Better yet if you have a soft brush you can put on your drill or a scrub head for your buffer better yet. Put a lot of it on your seat (if you take them out you can really slop it around without making a mess in your car) wash it good with the orange pumice hand cleaner & as hot water you can get. Scrub it good then wipe it down good with hot water until the water your rinsing is clean . Then wash it again with clean hot water & a good dish soap (Dawn)& then again wash it down with hot water till it has a good clean rinse. After it's dry use a good conditioner so the seats will stay clean & soft. Any good conditioner will work. wipe down the dash with the orange pumice but use it a bit less so you don't get it in the vents. Then again clean it like the seats , & condition it the same way. The carpets can be cleaned when the seats are out with any good carpet cleaner, & vacuums it good. I wouldn't use shoe polish on it as it will come off on your clothes & when it drys it will leave a residue which will turn colors. But to clean the orange pumice because of the pumice it scrubs all the junk out of the cracks & crevices in the interior parts, all of them. It will get in & dig out the junk so it will come clean. This is from trying everything we have all tried over the years & these are the things we have found to work best. Later if you need we can talk about what we have found to work on the outside of the car.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default Troubleshooting 1976 Firebird

I finally got off my butt and worked on the hood. Just the underside had been sandblasted and left to sit, so I had a bunch of crust to grind off and sand. It has some pitting and a couple pinholes... but it's the only Formula hood I have.

Last edited by trailwing; 06-01-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
If your dash & interior are looking a bit flat & it's a bit dirty as can be seen in the pic's. The very best way to CLEAN it is to use the orange pumice hand cleaner with a warm wet rag. Better yet if you have a soft brush you can put on your drill or a scrub head for your buffer better yet. Put a lot of it on your seat (if you take them out you can really slop it around without making a mess in your car) wash it good with the orange pumice hand cleaner & as hot water you can get. Scrub it good then wipe it down good with hot water until the water your rinsing is clean . Then wash it again with clean hot water & a good dish soap (Dawn)& then again wash it down with hot water till it has a good clean rinse. After it's dry use a good conditioner so the seats will stay clean & soft. Any good conditioner will work. wipe down the dash with the orange pumice but use it a bit less so you don't get it in the vents. Then again clean it like the seats , & condition it the same way. The carpets can be cleaned when the seats are out with any good carpet cleaner, & vacuums it good. I wouldn't use shoe polish on it as it will come off on your clothes & when it drys it will leave a residue which will turn colors. But to clean the orange pumice because of the pumice it scrubs all the junk out of the cracks & crevices in the interior parts, all of them. It will get in & dig out the junk so it will come clean. This is from trying everything we have all tried over the years & these are the things we have found to work best. Later if you need we can talk about what we have found to work on the outside of the car.

I used orange hand cleaner on the door panels and dash. It took a couple iterations but worked great!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love those 76 one year Formula hoods. I have one on my Yellow Formula. While I am also fond of the 70-75 F/G Formula hoods, my personal taste (and eye) prefers the 76 from the side view. The earlier hood looks out of proportion from that angle and I only like it from the front.

I can't be the only one to notice this either...

Old 07-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

Over the forth, I fixed the rear end, installed new exhaust, a new master cylinder, booster and painted the hood. My gun crapped out in the middle and I grabbed a detail gun. The results were less than stellar, with a bunch of garage trash but at least it's brown. I have a pet leave against prime red hoods. Maybe it will buff out.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Troubleshooting 1976 Firebird

Still fiddling with it. The right picture angle can hide a thousand sins.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:48 AM
Suspended

Ya, using the orange pumice hand cleaner is about the very best way to clean any interior. Plus after you do it a few times it will get ALL the junk out of any interior no matter how bad. Your insides will look new after a few times & smell great too.