Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-19-2023, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Whenever I've tried it, it helped for a very short time only. Whatever the underlying cause for the overheating still exists. So adding a small volume of additional fluid to the system won't fix it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 01-19-2023, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow1098 View Post
Sooo a couple of questions around this one…my heater core is leaking pretty bad inside the car? I removed my AC as I never used it but I kept the heater core as I was told it would help with engine cooling. How true is that? Also do I have to remove it if it’s leaking or can I just cut the hoses and bypass it?

Also, I image a leaking heater core would effect engine cooling also correct? Thanks as always!
Short simple answer is yes you can bypass it. , it gives you a little more coolant volume and in an inch can be and extra cooler but only if heat is on.
If all is working well it shouldn’t hurt anything. If your engine is getting hit check the divider plate to impeller gap .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I used to get stuck in the tapanzee bridge on my way home from E town. Every Pontiac day or NETO event. My 70 Chevy big block pick up would get hot. Right in the edge of over heating , I’d pop on the heat and fan and it would save the day every time . So absolutely it does help in a pinch . It’s just a small radiator w a fan blowing across it like any other radiator. My wife would have her feet up on the seat and I’d be burning my feet on the floor .
X2. Can't pull off to the side on a bridge. Got boxed in by crawling traffic after some spirited driving and the hotter the car got, the better that heater worked. My sneaker's sole actually separated, a geyser of coolant would've been so much worse.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My FIRST engine overhaul, which then immediately went a thousand miles to visit a girlfriend. Wandering through the mountains, the heater core/heater fan was turned on and off depending on grade. The heater core was reliably removing about ten degrees from the temperature, which means more heat than that because I was only using it on the uphill sections when the engine was under additional load.

Higher load...but lower temperature. The heater core/heater fan can remove a significant amount of heat. The downside is that it removes that heat by making the passenger compartment almost un-livable.

"I" would not want to be without that heater core. But then, this is the Seasonally-Frozen Wastelands, not Florida. I've had ALL I can take of driving around with little candles on the dashboard to keep the windshield clear.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Thank you all you guys so much for all your replies….do you have any old threads or links to best ways to remove/replace the core? I’ve seen where it calls for removing the fender and seems quite a lot involved
First Question is F-Bird or A-Body, or other.

It can be done on a A-Body without removing the front fender 64-67 Body.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This thread/debate is educational for me....she runs a little hot but only on the hottest days with a four core...

Old 01-19-2023, 12:49 PM

IMO, I would not want to go without the option to have heat or defrost so I would fix it. My 69 400 likes to run hot especially when stuck in traffic so I installed an electric push fan in front of the radiator and that helps a lot. The good thing is that you can't see it and the wiring is hidden so no one knows it's there.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just a reminder about your vacuum advance. If it's connected to a ported source it will run significantly hotter at idle (like in heavy traffic or a parade). Made huge difference in my car. Like 180 vs 210 or more.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 01-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, because I went through the same thing. I can say for absolute certain that having it hooked up is the right thing to do. I let mine go for years because I didnt want to deal with replacing the blower. Not so much the heat, but not having the defroster really affected me driving the car. There were times around here that even in nice weather mornings I would crest a hill and the windshield would instantly fog over. So it made me scared to drive the car in the mornings or any time I felt the air might be too humid.

I hooked it up a few months ago and dont know why I waited so long to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
First Question is F-Bird or A-Body, or other.

It can be done on a A-Body without removing the front fender 64-67 Body.

Tom V.
It’s F body …77 TA….I’ve been search for a good step by step….if you got any good links

Old 01-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Issue with is you leave the leaky heater core in the vehicle, where does the water that was in the heater core go? I know the answer.

It sloshes around and eventually rots out the floorboard on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Always replace the thing if it leaks but can't imagine unless you are in the panhandle you ever would need a heater in Florida in the winter time.

Or that you would drive your car in the rain.

Tom V.
Here is my experience further explain. I've had heater cores leak 2-3 times in my life. I discovered the leak by finding coolant in the floorboard. Those heater cores were in daily drivers that I used for work so I bypassed the cores until a more convenient time to replace. In my case, I cleaned the coolant up dried the carpet. Done deal. Never noticed any more coolant on floor after initial clean up. I have never had rusted out floorboard due to a bad heater core. The residual water left in the cores if any was left, evaporated over time. How much fluid does a heater core hold? Bypassing has stopped new fluid from entering the core.

Back then I didn't have the option not to drive my cars in the rain as they were my main mode of transportation. I've never owned a "show car". Too poor lol.

I lived 56 years in north central fla, central fla and the last 5 in the panhandle.

You do need a heater in Florida the same way you need AC in Michigan. It's a convenience. It freezes in central fla. Just ask the citrus farmers.

With the humidity in fla the warm defroster is a must for me.

I can only comment on my experience, but respect and appreciate others opinion on the subject.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Default Better to have and not need than to need and not have

As others have stated; attempting to drive with fogged windshield from not having heater is very inconvenient.

I lived with that many years until getting A/C delete box on my 1969 Firebird.

I also thought that my engine was cooling better than when it was capped at rear of passenger head and at timing cover.

I live in Las Vegas and summer heat is well above 100 degrees.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It adds probably 1-2 quarts to the cooling system and adds a fan so running a heater core will give you some edge in a marginal cooling system on a hot day. As far as rotting the floor out, that won't happen, because antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it. Eventually the coolant evaporates, even if you don't dry the carpet, done it many times.

If you're in a climate that needs a heater, then the coolant should have antifreeze too, not straight water. It's also smarter to run a rust inhibitor to protect the inside of the cooling system against corrosion.

Yes, I have bypassed heater cores as a temporary measure to get home, and get a new core installed. Heater cares are easy on some cars, and incredibly hard on others, A/C usually complicates installing them. I've also dumped pepper into the cooling system for a temporary stop leak, it usually holds about a week. Use Bars Leaks pellets if you want it to last longer. It doesn't clog heater cores, because I have it in several of my daily drivers for years, heaters still work excellent.

Always living near the great lakes, I usually need a heater core to keep moisture off the inside of the windshield. Even in Phoenix AZ in January it was 40 degrees a few mornings, Florida the same way, in February when I went to the Daytona 500 and stayed in the panhandle for a week, 40 degrees wasn't unusual.

If you're not going to store a car from October to March you'll need a heater core at sometime. When we go to dirt tracks even during summer months I need a heater to keep moisture off the windshield after the sun goes down.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-20-2023, 02:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Here is my experience further explain. I've had heater cores leak 2-3 times in my life. I discovered the leak by finding coolant in the floorboard. Those heater cores were in daily drivers that I used for work so I bypassed the cores until a more convenient time to replace. In my case, I cleaned the coolant up dried the carpet. Done deal. Never noticed any more coolant on floor after initial clean up. I have never had rusted out floorboard due to a bad heater core. The residual water left in the cores if any was left, evaporated over time. How much fluid does a heater core hold? Bypassing has stopped new fluid from entering the core.

Back then I didn't have the option not to drive my cars in the rain as they were my main mode of transportation. I've never owned a "show car". Too poor lol.

I lived 56 years in north central fla, central fla and the last 5 in the panhandle.

You do need a heater in Florida the same way you need AC in Michigan. It's a convenience. It freezes in central fla. Just ask the citrus farmers.

With the humidity in fla the warm defroster is a must for me.

I can only comment on my experience, but respect and appreciate others opinion on the subject.
I had a rust free 64 GTO convertible in Missouri.
Moved to Kalamazoo Michigan to attend college there.
My Uncle was a Pontiac Dealer for 67 years in Michigan.

5+ years in the Michigan Salt killed my convertible frame.

So I can relate to having to drive my Pontiac vehicle in cold weather.

A rust free Georgia Frame was purchased and installed later on.

Car is never driven in the winter these days. Car has heater delete
now.

I respect your requirements for the car too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
…my heater core is leaking pretty bad inside the car . I removed my AC as I never use it....
Guys , he has a Factory AC - 77 TA
He probably just removed the compressor and brackets , not the whole HVAC box.
Pain in the ass and pain/slices on the hands and fingers to replace that heater core.
fwiw

If you have some spare hose , put a piece back on each core nipple , blow into the upper hose and let the lower hose drain into something. Get as much out as possible with some compressed air.

Take the fuse out for your blower motor for a while if your windshield has been getting fogged or filmed from the leaking core. They run on a slow speed at all times in your type of car , even when in the Off position.

Go to a car wash and use their vacuum on passenger side carpet.
Maybe pour some extra water on it a couple times to dilute it , and vacuum some more.

You can replace the core some other time if you need to have it.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
It really only cools the engine some when you’re forcing air through it with the heater blower fan on. Just as much as you’d expect a tiny radiator to cool a large passenger car engine, not much.

Otherwise no.

Bypassing it is fine. Think about how the factory built some cars with heater delete, bypassed completely because they had no heater core.
This^^. The heater core DOES add coolant capacity, which can help a small amount. But cars with no heater seem to run at the same temps, so.....

Old 01-21-2023, 10:54 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

my owner's manual says to turn the heater on if the engine starts to overheat.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It works in the movies. Watch the chase scene in the 1971 movie Dual where Dennis Weaver plays a businessman terrorized by an 18 wheeler while driving thru the desert in his Dodge Dart.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
Old 01-22-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I had a rust free 64 GTO convertible in Missouri.
Moved to Kalamazoo Michigan to attend college there.
My Uncle was a Pontiac Dealer for 67 years in Michigan.

5+ years in the Michigan Salt killed my convertible frame.

So I can relate to having to drive my Pontiac vehicle in cold weather.

A rust free Georgia Frame was purchased and installed later on.

Car is never driven in the winter these days. Car has heater delete
now.

I respect your requirements for the car too.

Tom V.

Thanks Tom V.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSGTO View Post
It works in the movies.
I learned about it from an episode of Simon & Simon before I even owned a car.
That is about the only thing I remember from any episode of their show.
The older brother was running the heat on high on a 100+ day
and the younger brother was going nuts about it.
It was an old Dodge truck

For some reason it always stuck with me.