Old 01-22-2022, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
I never said they weren’t junk. Just that the SFI ones are from China. I am sure they are okay in lower horse power applications. But I would try them on a engine making serious power. I haven’t bought a ATI balancer in years. But I am pretty sure they aren’t American made anymore.
FYI they are not junk don’t let some blow hole suck you in. For a 1000 hp no don’t use it but don’t get sucked in by a reaper. One thing I have learned on this site some guys feel if you don’t do it the way they do your wrong. Personally I post reply’s on things I have actually tried done or used not just to give you a opinion of my feelings

Old 01-22-2022, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
FYI they are not junk don’t let some blow hole suck you in. For a 1000 hp no don’t use it but don’t get sucked in by a reaper. One thing I have learned on this site some guys feel if you don’t do it the way they do your wrong. Personally I post reply’s on things I have actually tried done or used not just to give you a opinion of my feelings
I am not making a decision based on most of the comments on here. My point was that you can’t call it junk from China if it isn’t from China. I haven’t personally used one so I can’t say if they are junk or not. But you are correct. There are a lot of people on here that have no real experience and just have opinions.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am pretty confident ATI balancers as well as their other products are made in the USA, if that matters to some. Made in USA is not a guarantee of high quality but at least you have a USA based company to contact if issues arise. Here is the ATI story from their web site.

About ATI - Family Owned and Operated since 1961

For more than 55 years, ATI has been producing quality, state-of-the-art racing products!

When Jim Beattie, President of ATI Performance Products, Inc. first attacked the field of automatic transmissions, Funny Cars were blistering down the track at six seconds and dragsters were still trying to break 200 m.p.h. Today, one can’t help but notice the dominance of ATI decals at the track.

Automatic Transmissions, Inc., which Jim built from a modest general rebuilding shop in Silver Spring, MD, is still a family-owned and operated business with JC Beattie, Jr. heading operations for the company. Other family members help in various capacities within the business.

It’s obvious the entire family has a passion for the racing industry. From the age of three JC, along with his dad, could be found racing anything with wheels. Now, he sits behind the wheel of a 2009 Drag Pak Stocker or 2012 Super Stock COPO Camaro equipped with ATI parts to give ATI customers true track-tested and proven products.

Over the years, ATI has earned a reputation for its cutting edge technology, attention to detail, and rigorous testing under race conditions. By staying true to these basic principles, ATI has built a loyal customer base; many of whom still use parts purchased from ATI in the 1980’s.

Today, ATI manufactures a multitude of high performance parts including competition transmissions such as the incomparable Superglide®, Treemaster Converters®, Super Dampers®, Compu-Flow® Valve Bodies, Flexplates and Adapter Kits as well as a wide variety of performance enhancing internal transmission components. Innovative designs, partnered with a commitment to racing, allows the company to maintain a prominent position on the cutting edge of high performance component design and manufacturing. ATI proudly holds over a dozen U.S. Government patents, with others pending.

Located just outside of Baltimore, Maryland ATI’s manufacturing facility houses one of the most advanced machine shops in the industry; all machinery operations take place in-house so that total quality control can be maintained. There are more than 30 CNC machines operating in the plant to ensure that ATI customers receive the highest quality performance components available anywhere.

The parts are fairly expensive, and worth it IMO. At 1000 HP, you are stressing the hell out of that ancient "Strato Streak" engine that was designed in 1953 to make 180 HP. I think a typical, hub, rubber strip, outer ring style balancer, properly produced should be OK to around 600 HP and 7000 RPM's in a properly balanced assembly. Over that, ATI would be my only choice. But as mentioned, pulley attachment and fitment can become a bit of an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Summit doesn’t have them listed as made in America anymore. I know they had them tagged as made in the USA in the past. But it isn’t there anymore. They do list Tci, innovators west end fluid damper as made in the USA.