Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 AM

Default Automatic Transmission Shifter Problem

Just bought a 69 Lemans. Doesn't feel like shifter (column) feels detent for reverse or neutral just goes into drive. Is there some way of adjusting shifter at column or at transmission ? Are there bushings someplace that need to be replaced ?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If linkage is out of whack, gears wont match up with the indicator. Neutral safety usually doesn't work when this happens.
Column shift will go from reverse to drive without having to pull back on the shift lever.
If the shift tube is working right, sliding up and down...Then you should have to pull back on the shift lever to go from neutral to reverse. Pull a little more to go from reverse to park. The same pull back on lever to shift into lower gears from drive.
So if it's working right, the shift lever will move from R to D and then D back to N without pulling back on the shift lever. Anything else P, R, 2, L you have to pull back on the shift lever.
I have seen shift tubes get sticky and not spring back when you let go of the shift lever. When that happens, the shift lever will move straight from P to L unless you push forwards on the shift lever.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing that makes a "detent" feel is a spring rod that rides on a rooster comb attached to the gear select shaft. You access that via the pan.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanks for advice, definitely goes directly from P to L. Will check shifter tubes drop pan if necessary plan was to change trans fluid anyways.

Do I have to remove steering column to clean and lubricate shifter tubes ?
Mark

Last edited by BlueLemansMark; 05-28-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Add a question
Old 05-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLemansMark View Post

Do I have to remove steering column to clean and lubricate shifter tubes ?
Mark
It's been awhile since I've had one of those columns apart, so can't say for sure.
If your lucky, you might get by pulling, lock plate, turn signal switch, lock and tumbler and top collar (bearing holder) apart and spraying some lube down from the top. I can't remember where the return spring is in the column, but seems like it was at the bottom of the shift tube.

Try pushing forward on the shift lever to see if you can get the tube to move at all. I wouldn't fight it hard. There may be something broke or even some parts missing.

Really need to find an exploded view of the column to see what makes it tick.