Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made the trip to a used tractor dealer today about an hour away. I spent some time with a B2601 and an L2501.

I liked both of them but the L2501 kills it with loader work. There were 20' high piles of snow in the parking to work with. The smaller tractors platform is pretty small and I had trouble hitting the diff-loc as my knee was already bent back pretty far from the low seat position. It also had tiny brake pedals compared to the L2501.

The L2501 is a LOT more tractor in ever area and the hydraulics responded nearly twice as fast. It would work well for what I do here but no impressed with it in the "H" range just not enough power. That wouldn't really matter as I never go down the road anyhow and all the work would be in L range moving logs, dirt, gravel, etc.

The only reason I didn't buy that L2501 today is that it comes with no warranty and nearly the cost of a new one. Right now there are some nice discounts on the new ones plus zero interest so I can use their money instead of mine so leaning that direction.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My ford 1520

Ford 1520. On the job since 1990 when I purchased new . Cut 3 acres of grass and kept 600 + feet of DW and turn arounds clear , in Buffalo winters here in th snow belt ! Not to mention keeping my trails clear for walks the last couple years . Bought zero turn husquavarna about 6 years ago and retired ford from grass cutting duties. Should have done that 20 years ago .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33AA8F35-ED37-4BBC-90F1-237D8D942758.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	582220   Click image for larger version

Name:	90C29530-B1AF-4017-BF91-3111FACF09AA.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	582221  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Compact

Keeping trails passable .
Wouldn’t mind a heated cab and a front Mount snowblower but I probably would have to go with bigger tractor for those luxuries .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEEA3006-0603-4ADD-BE12-7B6F1BDC008E.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	582222   Click image for larger version

Name:	F69C378D-08C6-4112-9E7B-D968FDE7091B.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	582223  

Last edited by Tellyshavilli; 01-19-2022 at 08:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Made the trip to a used tractor dealer today about an hour away. I spent some time with a B2601 and an L2501.

I liked both of them but the L2501 kills it with loader work. There were 20' high piles of snow in the parking to work with. The smaller tractors platform is pretty small and I had trouble hitting the diff-loc as my knee was already bent back pretty far from the low seat position. It also had tiny brake pedals compared to the L2501.

The L2501 is a LOT more tractor in ever area and the hydraulics responded nearly twice as fast. It would work well for what I do here but no impressed with it in the "H" range just not enough power. That wouldn't really matter as I never go down the road anyhow and all the work would be in L range moving logs, dirt, gravel, etc.

The only reason I didn't buy that L2501 today is that it comes with no warranty and nearly the cost of a new one. Right now there are some nice discounts on the new ones plus zero interest so I can use their money instead of mine so leaning that direction.......
Korean Made Branson tractors have a lot of value for the money and the FEL specs are well above the others in the 25 HP class. plus they weigh ~3000lb before mounting up the loader.
diesel engines are Kukji who bought out the Onan diesels then the design was joint modified by Cummins. They are an IDI engine, I do prefer a direct injected engine though- the IDI's tend to have a lot of rattle at idle

Simple non computer controlled diesel engine. 3 range hydro with cruise control
the syncro shuttle model is fully syncroed both the range and gear shift
PTO is independent
They also come with a fully adjustable suspension seat

Here is a spread sheet comparison with others

https://www.kenotractors.com/wp-cont...ison-Chart.pdf

Branson is small dealers mainly- so there is that danger compared with say Deere or Kubota

We got some snow the other day to plow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220107_150315018.LS_exported_74.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	582228  

Last edited by 455dan; 01-19-2022 at 12:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455dan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Ford 1520. On the job since 1990 when I purchased new . Cut 3 acres of grass and kept 600 + feet of DW and turn arounds clear , in Buffalo winters here in th snow belt ! Not to mention keeping my trails clear for walks the last couple years . Bought zero turn husquavarna about 6 years ago and retired ford from grass cutting duties. Should have done that 20 years ago .
Great tractors ... my 1993 1715 has been digging holes and moving dirt almost 30 years now.

Recently added some real gauges, mounted them to the bucket control bracket.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Great tractors ... my 1993 1715 has been digging holes and moving dirt almost 30 years now.

Recently added some real gauges, mounted them to the bucket control bracket.

From what I can see Looks like it’s in great shape

Old 01-19-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep it's held up real well. Manual 9x3, 4WD, Ford bucket, Woods backhoe. Very simple tractor to work on. Had the various typical repairs needed over the years, nothing expensive or unexpected.

Very shortly now the EPA regs will start effecting these lower hp tractors and you won't be able to buy anything without an ECU, DEF etc. This size will certainly do for most home owners and gentleman farmers.

Quality tractors are made to last 50 years, one of the reasons I don't hesitate to consider used machines, usually the care or abuse they have received is pretty evident looking at them. Most have very well documented pros and cons that online research easily turns up.

Evidently the used market is kind of like the used car market right now. On a bare tractor you don't save much money ... but on a used tractor with implements the savings can add up fast.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to our local Yanmar dealer yesterday and checked out a few tractors. I spent some time on one of their SA424's and was pretty impressed with it.

The hydraulics were smooth and responsive, impressive loader capacity (1200lbs) for such a small tractor. The hydraulic pump was quieter than the Kubota's I demo'd a few days ago and the hydro trans felt better coupled.

I didn't like the small 54" bucket and it didn't use the skid-steer quick attach system. Price was considerably less than a Kubota or John Deere for what you get, They are also offering 0 percent financing this month plus some nice discounts in case anyone is in the market for one.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-20-2022, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bucket lift capacity is pretty important. 1200 lbs is more than my considerably larger Ford. Keep in mind bucket lift is measured at the end of the lift arms, not the end of the bucket so bucket depth can effect how you work.

Yanmar has been in the business a long time ... I wouldn't think twice about getting one, hey, their engines are good enough for JD.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"Yanmar has been in the business a long time ... I wouldn't think twice about getting one, hey, their engines are good enough for JD"
And we all know, "Nothing runs like a Yanmar"..............

I used to have a friend that owned both back in the late 70s that owned a new Yanmar, 4X4, and an old 2 cylinder John Deere. One night we were out to his house at a party, and his tractors came up as a subject. Back then almost no one knew what a Yanmar was. So through the night as more adult beverages were consumed, the phrase. "Nothing runs like a Deere" got tweaked a little bit, to "Nothing runs like a Yanmar", got coined. Of course at the time Yanmar was a strange name to us. Anytime all of us got together, we used to kid him about it for years later.

FWIW, he had that Yanmar for years after that, it was trouble free for him.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-20-2022, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Yanmar ?

" If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated "

Don't know why, but I just noticed this statement. Gave me a quick flashback to my dirt trackin days. The car pictured was an ugly, HEAVY Chevelle. But it was Pontiac powered. Got several top 5 finishes.

I definitely always brought some home with me. Without tear-offs, you wouldn't be able to see the track, after a couple of laps. On a wet track, it was easy to use 10 tear-offs or more in a heat race.

Anyhow, back to the Yanmar. I'm not aware of even knowing about Yanmar tractors, 'til this century. I suppose I first heard about 'em online.

And when I heard that name, it didn't make me wanna go check 'em out. Hey, I was raised with names like Allis Chamlers, Ford, Ferguson, Case, IH, & JD.

When I went tractor shopping, back in somewhere around '07 or so. I first went to look at Fords, since that's what I'd used for the past 40+ years. To my surprise, there was no longer a tractor named Ford. I didn't know anything about computers or the internet back then. Just went to what had always been a Ford dealer, & found New Holland tractors. Still blue, but with a new(to me) name.

Just found out that Fiat bought Ford tractors in 1990, then phased out the Ford name.

https://www.anglo-agriparts.com/ford...actors-history

Anyhow, just went online to locate Yanmar dealers in my area. Got 'em @ 40, 60, & 80 miles away. They have a 10 year powertrain warranty ! They're offering a discount of some sort for prior military service. If I was in the market, I'd go take a look. Hey, I might go anyhow. As they say: " Don't cost nothin to look."

https://www.yanmartractor.com/produc...-series/sa424/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 - Car .jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	582266   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Helmet .jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	582267  

Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM

I see every brand but "Massey Ferguson", Recently I bought a used 2010 2610 compact with every attachment available with 250 hours on it. Backhoe, loader, brush hog, tiller, post hole digger , 60" belly mower plus plenty more at a great price. I've owned every piece of construction equipment, but never a tractor, changing attachments is a bit of a pain but doable. In a short time of ownership I put about 80 hours on it, no issues at all, actually I would recommend one. I found it in Georgia where our home is on Craigslist by accident, so sometimes it's worth waiting and searching. The other one I like is the Kubota, especially since they offer 0% financing, not a bad deal. They are out there, be patient

Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LMAO, those pictures are just what I'm talking about, Ya gotta take some of the racetrack home with you, or ya got cheated.

Even sitting in the stands, you're bound to take some of the racetrack home with ya......

Thanks for the pictures. I'm always interested in seeing Pontiac, or Pontiac powered oval track cars. I built a 400 for a car I sponsored at the local track, it was an 75 Olds Omega (Olds Nova) that won a ton of races over 2-3 years. There was also a 73-76 cutlass that ran a Pontiac engine in it. Also a 73 Grand Am that was damn near unbeatable..........

Cars I drove, 67 400 GTO, (signature pic) 69 428 SJ Grand Prix (signature pic), 71 455 Firebird (pic below). I still have a ton of trophies from those car wins.

If anyone cares, here's a link to pictures of my Pontiac dirt cars: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=507440

Cliff, sorry for the sidetrack of your thread.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAGIMAN View Post
I see every brand but "Massey Ferguson", Recently I bought a used 2010 2610 compact...
I just Googled 'em. Looks like the model I'd want is an 1825E, with shuttle shift.

https://ronsequipment.com/product/ma...mpact-tractor/

There's a dealer @ 60 miles.

I might do some tractor test driving soon.

Really interested in what Cliff buys.

https://asktractormike.com/blog/what...mpact-tractor/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk94-GD_wGk

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-20-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Workmaster 25

That Workmaster 25 is now on my list to test drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWLdVJPrZd0

Hey, it's even got the shifter on the right side, which will feel more like those I've used in trucks & cars all my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18d665rv0gU

Here's a hydro model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXemvyV_fwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-gis5mHtA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVFKS4t7tE

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-20-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of folks end up buying options they don't use or need.
I used to get asked every year to pull hay balers when there was a crunch due to rain. I NEVER took the loader off, and could have. The Only real reason for the loader to come off is a front mounted Snowblower, which is HUGE $ ON utility tractors.
People I know prefer the pedal set up of the Ford, kioti,and Deere. The heal toe deal with the brake to slip off isn't popular.
Brakes. While I prefer dual brakes for back dragging on a crowned surface. Not many people use them .
You want at least a 61" bucket.
On the 25 hp tractors you can block off the EGR pipe at the exhaust manifold and gain some power and cause NO codes, No harm. I hate masks too LOL.
LOADING rear tires with beet juice Can cost $$ 600 for 43" Tires ( my current rear optional tires).
Some Ford/Fiat NH dealers that have a machine might Include this in sale, thats big..
Things to try out are turning radius, the seat adj.
The ability to curl while lifting.
A MSL loader is a huge upgrade to consider if you use forks, and you will. Mine are on most the time and there's 10 ft snow banks. Only bucket when I have to.
Lots to consider..

Last edited by Formulabruce; 01-20-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Experienced friend of mine looking at second smaller tractor said the JDeere he looked at had an aluminum trans case, diff case and axle tubes. He passed. Check this for yourself, I dunno, but you want weight in a tractor for traction and counterweight for a FEL. Load the rear tires, not the fronts. Consider R4 tires unless you’re gonna be farming. R4’s much easier on turf in and around your yard if that’s the area you work

Look at the undercarriage for vulnerable stuff like hoses, lines, valves etc. Skid plates and belly pans are your friends here.

If you’re new to tractors, be damned careful, these things kill somebody every day!!
Good Kubota site: orangetractortalk.com

Jerry Well (AEP River Div)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B47E9BB4-0F76-43A6-A886-BF17C855213C.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	582320  

Old 01-21-2022, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ever considered getting a Skid steer loader instead of a small tractor.? Jmho. with 15 acres and a lot of trees, I would want a skid loader. All kinds attachment are available, many you can rent for small jobs, saws, tree sheers, mowers, post hole diggers, root rakes, grapples, tillers, snow blades… list goes on and on. Can get receiver hitch kits to pull trailers and implement too. Cab with A/C and heat isn’t to hard either. Turf tires and the right mower and you could mow the lawn. We run a big Deere and have a 8’ mower on the front. We have tractors, and tractors with loaders, they don’t get used much compared the the skid loader now. I think we have about 4000 hrs on ours. Deere, Case, Bobcat, Cat, Gehl, all make pretty nice loaders.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Experienced friend of mine looking at second smaller tractor said the JDeere he looked at had an aluminum trans case, diff case and axle tubes. He passed. Check this for yourself, I dunno, but you want weight in a tractor for traction and counterweight for a FEL.
seen a "D" ??? just correcting things. I have no preference aside from pedals
IF you go hydrostatic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear end D.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	582328  

Old 01-21-2022, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Ever considered getting a Skid steer loader instead of a small tractor.? Jmho. with 15 acres and a lot of trees, I would want a skid loader. All kinds attachment are available, many you can rent for small jobs, saws, tree sheers, mowers, post hole diggers, root rakes, grapples, tillers, snow blades… list goes on and on. Can get receiver hitch kits to pull trailers and implement too. Cab with A/C and heat isn’t to hard either. Turf tires and the right mower and you could mow the lawn. We run a big Deere and have a 8’ mower on the front. We have tractors, and tractors with loaders, they don’t get used much compared the the skid loader now. I think we have about 4000 hrs on ours. Deere, Case, Bobcat, Cat, Gehl, all make pretty nice loaders.
Have owned one, then had to rent bigger, and bigger to get the GPM for the bigger implements. They do get used a lot, and soo many choices now, but pricey. Lot people now want tracks on them..