Old 01-18-2022, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 Trans Am Wiper Squirter Switch Debug And Fix

I'm guessing that if I want the right looking switch I need to fix what I've got.

My issue is that randomly but more often, if I turn on the ignition the squirter motor just goes and goes until I unplug it. Sometimes, later I can plug it in and it will work only when I actually trigger it. But the last time I couldn't make it stop and left the connector off in the engine bay.

Engine bay wiring looks straightforward and clean so my working theory is that the problem is in the switch. Does anyone have a guide where they've taken one of these apart and what to look for, what to clean, and how to do it all without breaking it? I'm not the most confident electrical guy but I do need working squirters..

In case it's different on other year and models, it's a two speed switch you move right to control the wipers. When you push it then it squirts for a timed length of time before stopping. You can't just do a short squirt like a modern car. It's the wipers that park themselves away when you stop. All of that works fine. I've also gone to the Trico replacement squirter that swaps the mechanical pump for a modern electric motor pump in the same size and place.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 01-18-2022, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe there is a short in the motor;
I think I had this problem a couple decades(!) ago, and it came down to the whole motor just needing to be replaced.

IIRC there are three bolts and it's pretty straight forward;
There is a little white clip that holds the plastic motor cover in place, you slide the clip out from under the leads, pull the cover off, and the three bolts are right there.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could also have a short between the pump and the switch. I think your pump is in the bottle like my 77? Since your issue is intermittent it may be hard to track down but I’d try waiting until the pump gets stuck again and turn the car off. Then carefully remove the pump plug and check the ground wire for continuity between it and a known good ground. If you have continuity either the switch is stuck or you have a short. You could also unplug the switch and test it. While the switch is unplugged, if you still have continuity between the pump plug and a ground then you know you have a short between the pump and switch.

Maybe someone else can chime in but my 77 sprayer is not timed to my knowledge. Maybe that’s an earlier option?

Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

most likely it's mechanical in the pump. the wheel shaft gets sticky so the arm that's supposed to walk back off the drive teeth after 4 pumps stays stuck on the drive cycle.

the function is completely mechanical. there's a geared wheel on the back side that continuously spins with the wiper motor running. The metal arm on front will constantly pump in and out but not be engaged with the outer wheel teeth.
when you press in the wash button a solenoid pulls the drive arm up on to the teeth of the outerwheel, and from there will rotate 360 degrees pumping the washer pump until the angle on the wheel forces the arm to disengage the teeth. I think it's the plastic outer wheel sticking on the shaft which is where the problem probably is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washerpump1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	582181   Click image for larger version

Name:	washerpump2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	582182  

Old 01-18-2022, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally forgot that TA's all had recessed wipers - so it's a different pump than what I'm used to!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I highly suspect the Trico pump has a faulty or shorted out circuit-board/timer.

Might be able to wire around it so the pump only runs while you've got the button pushed in.

Clay

Old 01-18-2022, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My apologies to the OP as it sounds like the pump is different than what I’m familiar with on my 77.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
I highly suspect the Trico pump has a faulty or shorted out circuit-board/timer.

Might be able to wire around it so the pump only runs while you've got the button pushed in.

Clay
I like the sound of that. Anyone happen to have one that could give me a dummy type of "solder THIS with a wire to THAT"? I assume the timer is to emulate the factory behaviour but I'd rather not have it anyway.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I realize you are in the UK (but unless I'm mistaken your license plate image is from the middle east);
These should be had for cheap on Rockauto.com, or what ever comparable site is used in your neck of the woods;
I have understood that these boards were used in MANY vehicles.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I realize you are in the UK (but unless I'm mistaken your license plate image is from the middle east);
These should be had for cheap on Rockauto.com, or what ever comparable site is used in your neck of the woods;
I have understood that these boards were used in MANY vehicles.
Yeah. I was working overseas in Qatar for many years. Maybe I should update my profile pic now that I'm back. But I kinda digged the look of it.

Sam

Sam Agnew