The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Default 3M Dry Guide Coat

I tried using this stuff on a bondo patch to see where i was low/high. It really works nice. Identified a rea where I am low. My question is can i apply bondo right on this stuff? It appears to be like graphite, I'm worried that the bondo won't stick. anybody know?

Anybody try this?

Old 08-05-2006, 04:29 PM

I also use the stuff and really like it. I doubt it's graphite. Ask 3M for a MSDS. It will list the major components. If primer will stick to it, I'm sure bondo will also.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

never heard of this stuff! sounds like a helpful product, ill have to give it a shot on my right 1/4,...where i, uhh, have a little (more or less) body filler.....

Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just used this for the first time yesterday on the drivers quarter. Works real good and shows you every bad area. Well worth the $30.

Bill

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

AFAIK it is simply black lacquer in a spray can. I have used it under and over everything and had no issues.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks good, although I looked at the 2-page instruction sheet and it just dead-ends after the step where you rub the applicator over the repair area. Then what? Sand? Wipe off? Or are the inperfections already apparent after application? It doesn't address the reapplication of bondo, paint, etc.
Here's the link to the instructions... http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...s666kUwCOrrrrQ-

Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my take on it. I admit I tried it one time, but did not care for it. (no, not weed)
I prefer a light coat of black spray bomb over my primer, not filler
Personally, I would not use it (powder) over regular body filler. From what I read, it is intended to be used as a guide coat over primer or polyester glaze filler (which is useable ON TOP of primer, also). I would be concerned about adhesion if any powder was left behind in a low spot. If using it is a big help to you, maybe consider hand scuffing the traces away with 120 or 80 before applying another coat of filler?
Another method for tracking high/low spots is to alternate different colored filler creme hardeners, like red and blue. I'll try and post a picture of one of my restorations to show you what I mean.
That's my take on it, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68Coronet20LG.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	61235   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0884.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	61236  

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 08-07-2006 at 07:23 PM.