Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 AM

Default 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Disc Brake Conversion Debugging Question.

Heya,
I've got a 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Hearse that I have done a four-wheel disc brake conversion on. The original booster and master have been replaced with a dual diaphragm booster and disc/disc rated master as recommended by MP Brakes. A proportioning valve was installed, but I gutted it as instructed in the directions for disc/disc set-up. ScareBird provided what I needed for the rest and everything fits nicely. The main problem that I have is that the brakes feel too spongy and there is excessive brake pedal travel. I have bled all the air out. When I line-lock all four rubber lines going to the calipers, the pedal is rock-hard. I’m figuring the sponginess is from the caliper pistons traveling out to meet the rotors then returning back in after the pedal is released?? Has anyone run into this problem?? I am thinking of adding two two pound rated residual pressure valves to the system, front and rear, but wonder if will cause brake drag.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 AM

Hey Jeff,
I'll go ahead and give it a shot... I have an extra adjustable valve laying around that I can try. Had tried gravity bleeding -was good for a couple of stops then returned to the same problem. Will be a week or so till I get back to the brakes... Am also converting the Hydra-Matic to a TH400 and working on dual exhaust to replace the original and rusted single exhaust. I let her sit for three years and she is not being very foregiving...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1331.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	64118   Click image for larger version

Name:	JUN09%2304.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	64119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5095.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	64120  

Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM

I have it stored at my parents house -along with the flex plate, starter, and dipstick tube. The tag is: PAS-64-1393 (Pontiac Police, Taxi, Heavy Duty Option). I have a guy in Florida interested in it... It just needs to be rebuilt due to loss os reverse after warming-up. I'm still checking to see what kind of headaches shipping this thing is going to be. It is extremely heavy and I dont have a transmission container/casket to pack it in.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Tony,
You going to make it to Pleasanton in November? If all works out the 62 Catalina will be done and we'll have both the Hearse and the catalina there.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 AM

Heya Terry!
I'm trying to get back on the road by at least October. I'll be at Pleasanton for sure. Spent some time today at the shop and it looks like a defective LF caliper causing me grief on the brakes -nothing I can do till tuesday. Almost done fitting the floor shifter to the new transmission. Still have some minor wiring to do and I need the exhaust system replaced. With a fresh tank of gas and a good run, she should be more than ready. They doing the "longest hearse procession" again in LA this year??

Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Problem solved!!

I would like to thank all those that sent me their views on this brake problem I just got the car back on the road a few days ago and tested the brake and transmission conversions. Aside from high-centering the car at the gas station with my lake pipes, everything went fine. The problem with the brakes turned out to be a defective left front brake caliper. The piston would sometimes stick in the bore and I had a very very slow leak at the bleeder screw. It was a reman. caliper, so I took it back and got another. She stops a whole lot better than the old four wheel drum system I had

Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 AM

what did you use as a donor for the disc conversion???? is it still 5 on 5???

Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

is the scarebird system available for a '63?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:27 AM

where do I get info on the scarebird system?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a badass car. I don't know why it took me this long to find this thread. Im jealous.....

Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

I put the scarebird front disk brakes on my 63 Catalina Safari. Rotors are rear Cadillac Seville, calipers are Firebird. Scarebird provides the years/part numbers when you buy the brackets. link - www.scarebird.com
As I recall, their parts list doesn't show a kit for '63. I phoned them and they were able to find some. Be advised: you need 15" wheels : the installation instructions don't tell you which bracket is right/left!: you'll need to get a proportioning valve if you keep the master cylinder/booster stock. Otherwise, a two days or less operation.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:28 AM

To make the Cady Seville rear rotors work, you will need to machine the front hubs and rear axles. The wheel studs will need to be changed to longer ones. If you are using your stock, steel, rims there is the chance they will not fit over the calipers. This he, ScareBird, warns about. It is no big deal to have done and late model GM rims are easily available at any wrecking yard very cheap. Since I changed the master and booster, I did have to modify the inner fender well a bit to make room. I think I got the park brake cables off a Trans Am -with extension cables made at a local marine supply store.