Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Default Lowering springs

The 71 LeMans is moving along, slowly but moving.

Currently the car has stock type HD springs. I believe they were for a station wagon. The car rides waaaay too high in the front. almost looks like it is leaving the line at the dragstrip.

Our goal is to drop it about 1"-1.5" all the way around from the STOCK ride height. My only thoughts are that the car is much lighter than a stock car in the front end. Aluminum heads, intake, headers and fiberglass hood which will be held in place by 4 hood pins, no hinges. My guesstimate is 100-150lbs.

would I have to take into consideration that fact when ordering springs? What I don't want to happen is to buy 1.5" lowering springs only to find out that it lowers it .5"-1" (due to the lighter weight of the front end).

Your opinions/recommendations are welcomed.
Matt

Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the springs are new, how about just lopping off a few coils?

I went with coilovers due to the frustration you just described, and ironically I also had HD springs in front.

You can get IMCA stuff from speedwaymotors and have adjustable ride height using their adjustable coil spring spacers and coils. Coils are available in any number of ratings.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

yes they were new in 2000 when I installed them but the car only has about 1000 miles on it since then. It was in storage until a year ago.

I thought about cutting the springs, but the thought of cutting 1 coil off, reinstalling it, finding out it is not low enough and removing, cutting, reinstalling, etc....that is more work then I want to do. I'm too old and my time is too valuable for that trail and error process.

Plus I haven't found a spring compressor that is worth a damn. I'd rather do it once and forget about it.

Which coilovers did you get and are you happy with them?
matt