The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a little input from another <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Insurance Guy</span>
Your car is far from being a total loss.
Before you get yourself worked up any further.
Take the car to a high quality repair facility.
Have their top technician look at the quarter.
Not to brag........
But I've actually repaired quarters worse then that, and had less filler then many tech's would have from replacing.
With proper pull/push , shrinking , welding etc.
The quarter can be repaired.........
Since you're a claimant....
The Insurance Company responsible has no Contractual agreement with you for repairing your car.
So your best bet while dealing with the Adjuster, is be firm, but fair.

P.S.
Sweet Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm meeting with the adjuster today at 4:00 pm. His first question to me on the phone was "did I have this car registered as a restored vehicle?" I asked him, "registered with whom?" He changed the subject.

My quarter panel search has come up dry. I've tried everyone's recommendations and my body man has as well. So yesterday he and I talked and he's going to try to repair it using one of the "skins" like Marty talked about in his post. In case anyone is in need, Potomac Pontiac has a NOS left side QP for sale. Phone number 301-668-0101.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luke's_Car_2.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	6389  

Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM

That sucks. I had a similar incedent with my 70 GTO several years ago. Imo, if you know a good bodyman he could fix that with very minimal filler, and would actually be better. When you weld on sheet metal you have no way to totally rust proof the area welded. I've seen good bodymen fix alot worse. Just my .02. Good luck with it.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

might want to give www.fremansauto.com. a try .they are out of montana i believe. i just recieved an excellent quote on a quarter panel today , and they do their own trucking which is very reasonable.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Cat I'll give them a try. The adjuster came out today. I had the car all shined up and perfect looking except for the damage and the first words out of his mouth were "oh s*#t!" I even had the trophy that the car won in a car show for "best paint" sitting out on the car. Everything went fine until he told me that the kid who hit me only has $15,000 worth of property damage insurance on his policy and that there is probably over $10,000 worth of damage to the pickup that he hit along with us. But the $15G will be split between our two cars, so I'm hoping that I can get this fixed for under $7500.

I've got a couple of other places to try to find a full quarter. A guy in Chicago (other side of the world from San Antonio) told me he has a complete rolling chassis from a GTO with two rust free quarters, new floor pan and trunk, new exhaust and completely rebuilt front end that he'll let me have for $500. And he has a title to go with it. I may go that route, but I have to figure out how to get a rolling chassis down here from that far away.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Is is possible to sue the driver of the vehicle for the balance of the repairs if the insurance company only provides $7500 ?

Is this possible in general, or when accepting the insurance money the claim is settled at that point ?

K

Old 03-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Chief

another .02

agree with earlier post of having an experienced body man look at the possibility of saving the quarter. would be a lot less disruptive to your car if this is possible

Old 03-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man that sucks big time. Have you talked to your insurance guy yet? When it comes to insurance claims I've made two. The first one the other guys ins. jurked me around to the point I just turned it over to my guy and let them handle it. It took a little while but I did get ALL my money which included my $500 dec. and rental charges while we were fighting back. The second one went without a hitch.
Good luck
Nice car by the way.
Jim

Old 03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a really good body man who has looked at the car. His opinion is that he can repair it with a "skin", but that the most ideal repair would be to use a full quarter. He doesn't feel that the quality of the metal in the skins is as good as that of the original. I've heard both good and bad opinions on the skins.

I wish that the existing panel could be pulled out and repaired, but unfortunately is looks to be crushed beyond that. Maybe the quarter could be removed and pounded out and reinstalled? So far I'm not having any luck finding a good used or new 1/4 so we may have to try something like that.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, the kid's insurance probably won't be sufficient to cover the repair, since he also hit another vehicle and has only $15,000 to spread between the two of us. If we can hold the repair to under $7500 we should be okay. If not, then my only recourse is to get my insurance company to pony up the difference under the uninsured/underinsured motorist rider that I have on it. That will give me an additional $50,000 in coverage, but, of course, I have to pay a $250 deductible to get at it.

So, in addition to spending an incredible amount of time looking for this 1/4 panel, I'm possibly going to be out $250 while this kid just sits at home not having to pay a dime. Some things are just not right, but whoever said life was all fair anyway? (Still I'd like to throttle the little vermin, though).

Old 03-13-2004, 01:04 PM

Pecos,
Thanks for walking us through what I'm sure many of us have feared - but not had happen, yet - and hope never will. It's been a learning experience (for you, the most, I'm sure!) that could help us all at some time.
Good luck - that really is a sweet looking ride, especially from the driver's side!
Thanks, too, to the "insurance insiders" who were willing to help. I would guess that many people think of insurance people as being just a notch or two above used car guys (not meant to be a slam at any, believe me!!!).
Like with everything else, go in hoping for the best - and being treated fairly.
Good luck!

Old 03-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't tell for sure from the pics, but it looks fixable. You need a GOOD metal man, not a bondo buddy. A person experienced in metal repairs can straighten that quarter. I would check with high end auto restorers, Mercedes, Ferrari,old classics etc. You need a good body man who can really bump and shrink metal. It really looks salvageable to me. It would be really worth the expense to have that original quarter fixed.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:02 PM

You can try these places.

http://www.dvap.com/index.htm

http://johnsmusclecarparts.com/index.html

Old 03-13-2004, 09:01 PM

Try www.gmsports.com

Old 03-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pecosbill:
I've got a really good body man who has looked at the car. His opinion is that he can repair it with a "skin", but that the most ideal repair would be to use a full quarter. He doesn't feel that the quality of the metal in the skins is as good as that of the original. I've heard both good and bad opinions on the skins.

I wish that the existing panel could be pulled out and repaired, but unfortunately is looks to be crushed beyond that. Maybe the quarter could be removed and pounded out and reinstalled? So far I'm not having any luck finding a good used or new 1/4 so we may have to try something like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my personal experience the replacement patch panels are junk (GoodMark)

From the photo's I'm seeing about 20 hours of metal work, that's to repair the existing panel.

To try and get big bucks for a claim.........
You will need to provide documanted proof the car was worth that kind of money before the loss occured.
If the driver only has $15k of liability, then that is all the Insurance Company is responsible for..........
No matter how many cars are involved.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to agree with Marty.
It's always better to save an original panel if possible than to cut & weld a replacement panel on. If you find a NOS 1/4 panel, then possibly do it.
From the photos you posted, A truly professional body man should be able to straighten yours with possibly less bondo than it would take to install a replacement panel.
My 67 GTO was rear ended my a teenage driver while I was on my way to a car show in Wildwood NJ. The adjuster for JC Taylor couldn't believe my original panels were in such good shape. I wound up having them straightened for an additional cost & then got the ins co to make good on it on a supplement.
My $.02

Semper Fi
Old 03-14-2004, 07:44 AM

Bill,I have a 65 gto hardtop I am parting out I will take pics of the 1/4 panel and get them to you.It does need a lower patch,but the upper structure is good.Paul

Old 03-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great, Paul. Please send the pics to me at Pecosbill7@juno.com. I have found one in a local "oldies" boneyard, but the guy doesn't know what shape it's in and will be checking it out Monday and getting back to me.

After so many folks on this board advised reshaping the existing quarter, I spent a considerable amount of time with my bodyman Saturday discussing that. His advice, in order of preference is (1) replace the entire quarter with one either NOS (can't find it) or from a parts car; (2) fix the existing sheet metal; (3) use the skin. He doesn't like the skin idea at all. I'm leaning toward fixing the existing one, especially after he showed me a couple that he had fixed that were supposedly crushed beyond repair. You can't even tell anything was ever wrong with them. Encouraging!

Old 03-14-2004, 09:24 PM

Marty you should post a picture of your Quarter before you started,

Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Pecos,

What happened to your car is a nightmare. I hope this gets resolved and your car is as good as new.

If you decide to pass on the rolling chassis, I would be interested in taking a look. I live in the Chicago area.

Also, if you are interested and need pics, etc, and its not too far, I'd be willing to go shoot some pics for you. I'm serious and would not undercut another Lemans owner, just willing to help.

Mike