The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Suspended

Sounds like a real body man. Amazing what's in a name. We had a Precision Body here and it was just a Shake and Bake body shop.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:07 AM

Looks like you’ve found a true craftsman who knows what he’s doing. I guess you can’t really “work” the metal on newer cars because of the gage. I was washing our 94 Chevy and leaned on the top of the quarter panel with my elbow and put a small depression in the metal. Wow, that stuff is thin and flimsy. I just reached inside the trunk and pushed the metal back out with my thumb.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:36 PM

That guy is great! There are so few like him left. I know one here but he is pretty much into Model A Ford Hot Rods. He is doing a 69 Bonnie Convert for resale. (To fund his chopped 29 A street rod.)

Car looks like it will be back to primo.

Dan

Old 04-04-2004, 08:02 PM

Bill
Tried to send you private mess , but did not work and i lost your email. I'll just post this here for you and hope you see it.

Hey Bill
Not to long ago you asked me what i was doing with the old radiator support i had. I told you i had to trash it because it was so rusted out.
Well i was searching ebay for parts and ran across this one. I was going to bid on it for an extra one, but if you want it i'll stay away from it. Let me know if you want it. If you don't i might bid
Gene
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Old 04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gene:
I saw that one listed, but wasn't sure whether or not it was for a car with A/C. I'm not really sure how to tell the difference, except that the A/C ones look more squared off on the bottom. Maybe someone who knows can tell me how to ascertain the difference. Gene, many thanks for thinking of me...if it is for an A/C car I'm a definite bidder.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:40 PM

That core support is for a non-AC car. The bottom U-shape will open down for a non-AC car, and open up (i.e. collect water) for an AC car. -Jesse

Old 04-05-2004, 05:08 AM

Hi Kidgoat
Although this Radiator Support has the u shaped botton and not the squared off one, is there any reason it can't be used for A/C cars other than it not be correct for a 100 point show car.
Thanks
Gene

Old 04-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gene:
Look at this thread I found on this board:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...811#2576029811

Apparently the difference is in the heighth of the radiator that the core support will, well, support. Frost what Marv says on this thread, all 64 GTO's and the Lemans's that had A/C all used the same core support. The rounded core support apparently was used on the Tempest and Lemans cars that didn't have A/C.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the update. Yes, that makes sense, just sanding to re apply clear. That is what I expected ) The brass pieces you speak of are really steel "nails" that have a copper coating. That keeps them from rusting; the copper is ver very thin and doesn't effect the resistance weld. Glad to see it is working out and you found the right place. I knew some would be in your area, or at least hoped so. Keep up with the updates, I like to see how others work.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's really sad that guys like your body man are going to become extinct here pretty soon. People just don't learn the trades like they used to. Now it's simply slap an inch thick slab of bondo, and go to the spray booth.

I would kill to have somebody teach me how to do real metal shaping.

Congrats on finding this guy. He's worth his weight in gold. Make sure you send him referrals.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went out to see the progress on the car. It is absolutely amazing. The quarter has been pulled out, smoothed, shrunk and is now primered. Here's a pic so you can see how incredibly straight this guy has gotten it. Painting is scheduled for Tuesday and we are supposed to be able to pick it up Monday April 19th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	13213  

Old 04-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about assigning a bodyguard to that guy permanently. I may need him in the future. Texas ain't that far away.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 PM

Bill, sure glad you found yourself a true craftsman. It sure looks great, can't wait to see the finished product. I'll bet this guy is going on Bill's Christmas card list...

Old 04-10-2004, 06:36 AM

Can we get him to come to NY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right_quarter_(2).JPG
Views:	497
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	16506  

Old 04-10-2004, 06:37 AM

Soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	left_quarter_(8).JPG
Views:	487
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	18745  

Old 04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank, looks like you've uncovered a mess with your restoration. Hey, send that six-five down here; my guy will get it straigtened out.

Here's the best part: He pulled out the crushed in door handle, straightened the quarter, is wet sanding the roof, both doors, decklid, other quarter and tailpanel, reapplying 8 coats of clear (then sanding off 3) and putting it all back together for $5200!

Old 04-10-2004, 09:42 PM

No S*&$iT - send that guy work. If there's one the CERTAIN - people who know trades are hard to find. Someone that good deserves referals and more work = more $. Can't ship that overseas!

-Dan

Old 04-11-2004, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that certainly is a good fee. He is making his money, but he should. Keep up with the pics )

Old 04-13-2004, 01:53 PM

WOW!! That is a good price. It's amazing to watch a true craftsman at work. When I did bodyshop parts at a Buick/Mercedes dealer, I used to watch the guys in the shop. We had some good metal workers there. Amazing how they can take twisted metal and make it look like new.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:50 PM

Haven`t looked at PY for a while so am late to post-but- you are 3rd party(if you were just parked or uninvolved) and if you have the money can have car repaired and then bill(or sue) ins. co. for legit. costs. Lots of hassle, but can be done. Will never make it right but what can U do? I have shop and could fix this-so-I think that there must be a shop local to U that could do repair?-If you get a new 1/4 there would still B bondo so a repair might actually be better/less invasive.