The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-09-2005, 04:38 PM

1967 400/400 was Gold / Blk. Int. /Blk. Vinal Top. PPG Garnet / Blk. Interior.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

Wow! I never imagined this thread would still be going eight month's later, almost time to get my butt back in the garage...

370 Posts and holding...
Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 PM

It's a interesting post.
My newly purchased 68 is maroon / parchment.
According to PHS is was Nightshade Green/Parchment.
I really like that combo.
Not sure what I'll do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0502pon_green_12_z.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	11392  

Old 03-10-2005, 05:44 PM

How is color judged at car shows? Do they check your car against a chip if you have it judged concourse? I'm having little luck matching up springmist green to my satisfaction. I've tried using Sherwin Williams single stage converted to a basecoat (color close, metalic too coarse). And Dupont Chromavision using the "camera" to write a formula (too green). Both are close but do not match the paint under the door panels as close as I'd like. If they allow alternate (light to chip, dark to chip, different cast...)colors to be considered correct, how much more silver can I make it make it and still have it "correct" as springmist green?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gus_Mahn:
How is color judged at car shows? Do they check your car against a chip if you have it judged concourse? I'm having little luck matching up springmist green to my satisfaction. I've tried using Sherwin Williams single stage converted to a basecoat (color close, metalic too coarse). And Dupont Chromavision using the "camera" to write a formula (too green). Both are close but do not match the paint under the door panels as close as I'd like. If they allow alternate (light to chip, dark to chip, different cast...)colors to be considered correct, how much more silver can I make it make it and still have it "correct" as springmist green? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

has your dupont vendor called dupont direct? i've had this done before with good results. you'll need the original mix code from an old chip book to do this tho.

i've had several colors shot by the "camera" and all were a couple shades off.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-10-2005, 06:48 PM

They haven't called Dupont yet. I don't mind buying a few pints of paint 'till we get it right. Even if it is wrong a little, it will be close enough for a base under the proper color. I've had good luck with Chromavision, but I blend almost all of my repair work. It has never been dead nuts, but it has always been close enough.

There was no Chromabase Springmist formula. They would have had to mix it in centari, and I'd need to ad basemaker to make it BC/CC. I'll ask them about calling Dupont the next time I go in that store.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Gus,
I have gone through the same thing with Springmist Green,I am planning on Chroma Base also,what I did was locate an original '68 color chart,(the one I've got is in nice shape)there is a paint shop in the next county over,I am told he can work out a formula for the chroma base,I don't know how he will go about it but I guess it can't hurt to try ,the way work is going I have'nt had much free time to get over there,as soon as I come up with something I will let you know the results,I'm very picky,but I'm told this guy is good.

370 Posts and holding...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 AM

Well to quote one of my other threads...my car must have been "butt ugly". My 69 was originally expresso brown with a black cordova top and black interior. When I bought the car it had been painted black (see link to web page in my profile). We've stripped it to the metal and I thought now was my chance to paint it what ever color I wanted. I toyed with indigo blue (looks black until the light hits it, then is blue), then looked at all of the colors that were available in 69 and thought about red (my favorite color) but then decided that what really drew my attention to this car in the first place was that it was black, so I'm going back to black. I know...some of you have scolded me for choosing black but I guess I'm the one who has to live with it. Another thing I considered was "what color will make it sell better some day?". Red and black are always safe bets in that respect but I like that we all pick something different, or we'd all have the same color GTO!

Old 03-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

Great post, 1GRT69,

My question is, is there any color that everybody will like and no one will hate?

The answer is, NO! Pick black, and they scold you. Pick red, and they say, "any color but red." Etc., etc.

In the 70-72 GTO section, there is a member who's painting his '71 Tropical Lime. At first, I thought, "Oh, dear," but the more I think about it, the more I find myself saying, "Well, why not?" It's actually looking pretty good . . . . !

When my time comes to repaint, these are the things I'm going to think about:

A. original color (Palisade Green)
B. best looking color (Bermuda Blue)
C. best color for resale (Cardinal Red)!

Do I want to do something bold to stand out from the crowd, or play it safe and make a conservative decision?

I haven't decided yet.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

70 GTO originally sierra yellow, now baja gold

Mike

Old 03-12-2005, 06:24 PM

67 Firebird Sprint Convertible was originally Champagne with a Gold interior. Previous owner had put a custom two tone (cream and blue grey) interior in it and "recovered" the deluxe door panels. The car had also been repainted a custom metallic grey with blue hood stripes.
As the paint job is cracking, I will be repainting it and I have already replaced the entire interior with parchment stuff. Pics (original a new interior) can be seen at http://mysite.verizon.net/cabland/

As my car has nothing original (i.e. my "Sprint" had a 455 in it when I bought it), I had no desire to put it back that way.

Later,

Chris

Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Purists, do not read any further! I'm about to color change two rare Goats. One '71 1 of 534 455/330 hp, was rare Castillian Bronze, a Firebird only color originally. Going Orbit Orange, so I can use the pink/orange/blue stripes instead of the green/olive/white that the brown calls for. I had a '70 Orbit Orange Judge, but had to sell it. I think it was a mistake on GM's part to discontinue the color, as it looks better on '71s than it did on the '70s. Also tired of the Mayfair Maize on my 1 of 216 '69 GTO 2bbl ragtop. Had it over 20 years, thinking of going to a '68 GM color, Seafrost Green on Chevy, saw it on Rivieras, but never on a Pontiac. Looks silver, but has a greenish tint, which really compliments the factory tinted glass, which also appears green. Just don't want to pull up next to one like mine at a car show or cruise. Also believe I'd stand a better chance in popular vote against the red and the blue cars. There should be a separate class for those, there are enough of them.[lol]I used to be a purist, but now have a "build to suit" additude. Took first at a GTOAA meet in a Verdoro Green '69 hardtop that was also featured in "Guide to Musclecars." How many National show winning OR magazine feature GREEN cars do you see?

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:55 PM

jegstek,

I think Seafrost Green is a Chevy name for Springmist Green. My understanding it is a pretty rare color on Pontiacs. I don't have a paint chip card, but I believe this is what I saw at my Dupont dealer.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanx, I'll look into it. I'm really sold on this color, and it is rare on any make, it seems.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Chief

I recommend you paint your car what you like, although resale could be a consideration if that is your plan. I will never sell my current Pontiac...already made that mistake once.

My '71 LeMans Sport in high school was originally Nordic Silver with black cordova top and black interior. Someone before me had painted it blue, and when I repainted it I went with a mid-eighties Cadillac Smokey Mtn. Blue. Looked good but I should have gone back to silver.

My current '71 T-37 is Laurentian Green. I will repaint it that color because it looks right for the period and I just like it. I have converted the interior from jade green to sandalwood however.

Eric H.

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I have struggled with what color to paint my '70 LeMans 'vert for a while. I drifted from White to that new copper color to a light green to a purple to a burgundy to a gold.

I narrowed it down to Gold or White. I already had a white Pontiac once, so I picked a 1999 Pontiac Sport Gold. I deciphered the body tag when I was cleaning it off and guess what? Gold was the original color!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 AM

I am restoring a 65 Pontiac GTO, tri-power, four speed, factory A/C car. The original paint code was "T" Capri Gold. I am not crazy about the color and was thinking of going with Montero Red "R" paint code. Any thoughts on this. Wondering if going with a non-numbers matching color is a big no-no.

For the most part the car is original. PHS build sheet said it had a three speed and a four barrel. Every other option is intact. The paint shop painted a test panel for me and the Montero Red realy "Pops" The gold is OK. Maybe I am stewing over this too much. Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Let me predicate this by saying, it is your car, do what feels right. OK, When I bought my 68, it was an ugly spraybomb orange. I checked and wrote the data codes down praying it was anything but Solar red or Vedoro green, cause they were so popular and I did not want a me too car.

I was happy with Nightshade green, and to this day, haven't seen one in person yet. That witha black gut looks good in my opinion. Springmist green looks good too when fresh.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my opinion I would not paint your 65 montero red. There are way to many GTO's out there painted that color that started out a different color. It's a great color just overdone. I think the gold is nice, but if you don't like it then pick another color from the 65 color chart. Personally on a 65 GTO I like colors in the blue family(Bluemist Slate, Nightwatch Blue and Blue Charcoal).

Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I wanted to give the gold an honest run. Still leaning towards the Red.

If the car is not a 100 point car, does it make a big difference if the paint code on the data tag does not match the paint. I only bring this up because of re-sale.