The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FRANKLIN CHISHOLM:
My opinion is if it is too sad to repair, part it out to save other better examples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you make a good point, but...what does "too sad to repair mean?" We all have different definitions of that too. I have seen cars in Texas get parted out (because the feeling there is that they are too sad to repair) that here in Wisconsin, we are thinking "What are you doing?????...that car is MINT!" And of course it goes the other way around too....many wonder what the heck we are thinking here, restoring some of the rust buckets that we have here, but we don't see it as that bad....

BTW....glad you were about to get out from under your situation easily. It could have been ugly!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETJUDGE
good point why arent the vins welded??? or directly stamped into the sheetmetal???

im sure 36 years ago no one thought these cars would be where they are today, a better investment than stocks & property.

no one knew or even thought it would be like this
Interesting question, indeed. Why did they use rivets? You don't suppose the manufacturer forsaw the possibility of a necessary shell replacement in a repair? I believe that replacing everything but the cowl with mostly Taiwan pieces is at least as sacriligeous as replacing the entire shell with a rust-free original GM piece. The VIN identifies options on a platform, such as engine and/ or transmission, which were possibly long gone. Neither will ever be equal in price to a well-documented original. I would need to view the finished product to say who made the right choice. Sweetjudge...I'd buy that bucket! [lol]] One badass GTO it is! Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

11 pages and no one thought to call the state troopers or the DMV that inspecs them AFTER they have been rebuilt from a salvage stand point.
And all this talk about if it's right or wrong and NOT one word about how to do it the way the DMV would like you to do it. So can you take the rustfree shell with a lemans vin and a rusted gto shell with a vin to the INSPECTION station and have them swap the vin and doc. it. That would be the legal way.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Got this from the ohio DMV site

Any vehicle or component part bearing a VIN or VIN derivative determined to be stolen/missing or altered will result in the vehicle being impounded and held as evidence and/or seized for forfeiture.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe pretty soon there will be a section in the vehicle classified section of autotraders, newspapers etc called VIN tags for sale all documented original. Just pop rivet it to your car and your dream will come true.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbreaker2

Any vehicle or component part bearing a VIN or VIN derivative determined to be stolen/missing or altered will result in the vehicle being impounded and held as evidence and/or seized for forfeiture.
still doesn't address the fact that you have two legally owned vehicles and want to replace rusted parts.

david

Old 03-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrektd
The correct and ethical way to fix your problem is to get busy replacing body panels. If you say you have or can get ahold of a different body, use it as a donor instead. The vin follows the body and is always frowned upon when it is tampered with. Personally, I would feel proud of my accomplishments of replacing body panels than replacing a vin tag. That is the route I went. Bought a GTO that should have been scrapped. Replaced parts of cowl, firewall, whole floor, floor braces, LS rocker, LS outer fenderwell, LS Quarter, Rear trunk floor and braces, Front Fenders, lower qtr panels LS & RS, and tail light panel.
( with offshore sheetmetal, and now its 20% orginal metal anyway << by Formulabruce)

Even if I did fubar the car, it is more gratifying attemping to do it right than swapping a vin tag.

If you need help on your car, just post here with your questions and someone will help you out.
I say cut out the biggest section you can around the tags and weld them on, thats basically what happened here in this post, but your car will be much more a real original metal pontiac.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
On Vacation

Quote:

That is just it. You're in ohio, and Florida's Law is written to a point where some prick from florida thinks it is ok to do a vin swap. I doubt that florida will care to hear from me on this when they have bigger issues. Did you call?

Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce
I say cut out the biggest section you can around the tags and weld them on, thats basically what happened here in this post, but your car will be much more a real original metal pontiac.
It took you this long to come up with a response to a statement I made two months ago?????

To make it simplistic enough for to understand; if you come to me at a car show or if my car is for sale, I will tell you what panels have been replaced weather it be forieng steel or not. The problem you run into with scum that change vin tags is that they do not disclose the act because they have a vested interest in the car and because people would think of the car less because the tags were swapped. I am not at all saying that my panel swapped GTO is any better than that of a vin swapped gto, but I am saying that I am telling the truth about it and they are simply not. Neither a vins swapped lemans nor a panel swapped GTO belong in the same category as an all origional GTO. One would think this is common sense.

If a person wants to buy a car that has been vin swapped, that is their decision as long as the know about it, just like it is someone's decision to pick a girl friend that has fake breasts. either way you look at it, it is not the real thing.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:52 PM
On Vacation

Quote:
11 pages and no one thought to call the state troopers or the DMV that inspecs them AFTER they have been rebuilt from a salvage stand point.
And all this talk about if it's right or wrong and NOT one word about how to do it the way the DMV would like you to do it. So can you take the rustfree shell with a lemans vin and a rusted gto shell with a vin to the INSPECTION station and have them swap the vin and doc. it. That would be the legal way.
What made dig this bad boy up anyway? I wasted a lot of time on this thread. See you are from brunswick. Maybe I'll see you around. I am from the east side of cleveland.