The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dont worry it will get better .I just put a tailpanel on a 69 gto . drilled out all spot welds on both the donor and the car . patched the trunk ,didnt need new panels replace inner outer wheelwells , mocking up the quarters . replaced the entire 2" of roofline where the windsheild clip studs are and part of the windsheild posts ... People say I am crazy.It looks about in the condition of yours but getting better by the day

Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Hey Chris, thanks for the kind words; I'm already developing a great appreciation for the TA as well as an appreciation for how Pontiac put these cars together. They're really works of art and I feel priviledged to be an a position to be able to work on my TA. Although I don't have formal training in body work, I did inherit mechanical skills from my dad (passed away a few years ago). Believe it or not, I really enjoy working on the TA, knowing that every spot weld I drill out and every piece of rusted metal I cut away is bringing me one step closer to bringing her back. I'll definetly keep you guys posted as I go along.

SDX, it's nice to know there are others who have done what I'm in the process of doing and that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't mind my asking, did you drill out the section from your donor from the inside or outside? I've read that it's cleaner to drill them out from the inside, only you have to chop off the whole tail section at the 1/4's to do it. The only problem with that is I might need part of the rear left 1/4 on the donor for a patch on the TA.

People might think we're crazy, but guys like us don't have much choice, right?!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, I'll bet you're glad you saved the yellow Esprit now. That's a great donor you have there...and you're not destroying a good solid driver in the process.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM

indiana huh? no wonder it's rusty. i've repaired the same damage before if not worse. i never said it wasn't worth savign as i usually build the cars no one else will. i know what i have when it's done, and i can truly say it's my car.

re your clip that's a nice donor shell. the work it's parts will need are minor. enjoy the process and do a panel at a time so you can see progress and you'll get there.

mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RamAirIIITA
Hey Mike,

Bought her in Indiana sight-unseen (except for photos which did not disclose the extent of the damage to the tail). She's a 4-speed Norwood car originally purchased in PA, worked her way through Alabama and Georgia (and got pimped out somewhere along the way) and ended up in Indiana where I bought her and dragged her home, tail between her legs and everything. So no, she's not a Calie car, although she is now and has been in my garage protected from the elements for the past year. Some might not think she's worth saving, but I do, and I will.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid
Boy, I'll bet you're glad you saved the yellow Esprit now. That's a great donor you have there...and you're not destroying a good solid driver in the process.
Hey Greg, yep, thanks to you and your advise telling me I shouldn't tear apart the Esprit. I'd have quite a mess on my hands had I not asked for advise - everyone here on PY has been so helpful. I still can't believe how lucky I am to have found the donor - I guess as they say, everything happens for a reason...

Quote:
indiana huh? no wonder it's rusty. i've repaired the same damage before if not worse. i never said it wasn't worth savign as i usually build the cars no one else will. i know what i have when it's done, and i can truly say it's my car.

re your clip that's a nice donor shell. the work it's parts will need are minor. enjoy the process and do a panel at a time so you can see progress and you'll get there.

mike
Hey Mike, it was not my intention to imply that you were saying the TA wasn't worth saving; it was a statement in general that some people might not think it would be worth saving due to the condition. It's good to know you, Greg and others in the PY community who have gone through the process are out there to advise me as I go along and I truly do appreciate everyone's input.

Believe it or not, I am enjoying the process; I'm in no hurry and I think the process is part of the enjoyment of bringing the car back. It's almost like a spiritual experience, I guess it's hard to explain unless you've been there. I also know that the level of satisfaction will be beyond measure; knowing I've done most of the work myself and bringing the TA back to her great and former self will be very rewarding and something to be very proud of.

Randy

Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the tailend of the car cut off .. so I went around the outside and cut out all the spot welds ,so the tailpanel was clean no holes . But i when i installed it I used a hole punch tool put holes all the way around for new spot welds .... when mine isnt going that well ,I like to look at other peoples projects .somewhere in another thread someone said look at a site 57rustbucket.. man if you see what that guy went through .It will make anybodys project look good . It will just make you want to jump right back on it ...

Old 03-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am just passing this on someone else found it . but It is so worth watching. Will make you feel like your not the lone ranger .......http//57rustbucket.com/

Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info on your tail section and the 57rustbucket site. I took a quick look at the site; man, that car makes mine look like it just came off the showroom! That "floorboard" and "patch job" on the passenger 1/4 make me sick, putting a patch panel over the rusted area and not cutting it out first - are you kidding me?! Are '57's so rare that he had to go to such lenghts to restore a car in that poor of condition? I think I'll get some good information from the site, thanks for sharing it! Did you happen to take pictures when you repaired your Goat?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes i have some pics . just having problems loading them . I am not to much farther ahead of you ....

Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was the one that recommended that http://57rustbucket.com site. If you really take some time and follow along with him in the proper sequence, I think you'll be impressed with his work.
I think the reason I like it so much is because the guy isn't a pro...He's like me. Never done it before and he makes LOTS of mistakes..and documents them all.
What I hated was that he never finished it. I wonder what ever happened with him and the car.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah its great ... It helped me because , I have made the same mistakes check it twice weld it in then the next part doesnt line up have to go cut your welds out ,Also then spend alot of time making somthing work .then decide rip it out and replace it entirerly like you should have from the beginning ,One thing I would say atleast you know whats there when you are done . Alot of cars out nicely painted but the owners dont really know whats under there . Ill try to post pics today of what a mess i am working with

Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok I think I got it .. Dont be embarressed mines pretty bad ,but it was the best I could find at the time . cut out panel . cleaned up replacement , installed ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	126384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	126385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	126386  

Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try these my roof line and pillars where shot .should have probabbly replaced entire roof ,cut out 2'' of donor roof line ,its tack welded but since grinded and cleaned up also shot of innner wheelwells
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	126387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	126388   Click image for larger version

Name:	107.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	126389  

Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

whoops ,here is wheelwells
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1085.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	126390  

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

2 more the trunk was in good condition . except small piece along wheelwell . made up my own patch panels didnt want to puchase 75$ aftermarket replacement when only needed small piece ,also inner wheelwell required some patches where replacement piece didnt reach . have completed both sides
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	126397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	126398  

Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 PM

SDX - Wow, thanks so much for posting the pics of your Goat, you're doing a great job! It's nice to get a visual of what you're dealing with and where I'm heading. It looks pretty scarry when you have that much metal off, but I guess you just have to remember to take it one panel at a time. Everything you've done so far looks great!

Greg, that site is great - I've gone through maybe only the first 6 or 7 pages of his project and you're right, it is nice to see someone who's not a pro doing the same thing we are. I like the way he shows every step and documents his mistakes; hopefully we can learn from them. That's what's so cool about people posting their projects, not only to show other what they've done and how to do it, but also what NOT to do. It is weird that he just disappeared after putting all of that work into it and never finished it...

Greg, did you have to do any do-overs on your Goat? I think what's already been stated in this thread can't be said enough - measure once, measure twice, measure three times, then measure again. I think the main thing to remember is to be patient and don't try to rush it.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

VERY IMPRESSIVE SDX!!! WOW!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am having some aliangment issues also ,thats why the quarters arent welded on yet I am keeping them screwed on till I get a bumper because it rolls up into the quarters ,and I would hate to get a bumper later and see gaps .I need the bumper to ensure everthing is straight before I weld .So moved on to stripping doors and replacing floor pans .

Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ramair3 ill bet those pics make you feel better about your car ... I wish atleast I had some sentimental value in the car or some type of optioned car. but no. I could be restoring a judge for the same price as this POS... However my goal is not to restore to original spec .my goal is a 10 second car. more drag than street . but with originality ,dash .seats . still deciding .either round port heads or I would love to do a centrifical blower. But am a long way from those decissions ... Everone that comes by my shop says YOU ARE BRAVER THAN ME .Pollite instead your a nut..Anyway this is good practice .just passing time till I find my Judge in a barn . I always flux/wire welded bought the tank ,Has taken a few weeks to master the mig lotta grinding....

Old 03-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1 more site . www.ultimategto.com go to the restoration section some intresting stuff there ....also i would recommend the HotRod magazine restoration disc, set step by step . might be able to get you a copy