The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmyThe1972Wagon View Post
so i've got my '72 firebird's nose stripped down to its original primer, and even after years of baking in the sun, it's still very flexible in most places. in some places it has started to chip off, but those places are near where the small chunks are taken out, so that's probably how it began to begin with. now, my car will be driveable long before any of the bodywork gets done other than replacing the floors and tail panel, but i'm still going to paint the nose to protect it from the elements. i was just thinking using spray paint cause it's cheap and quick and i don't have a spray gun.

so i think i'm going to take this opportunity to try out a primer with chlorinated rubber or a vinyl base, so does anybody know of any primer with one of those in them? and any idea on what to use for the single stage basecoat that will NOT receive a clear coat? like i said, this will be a temporary paint job to protect it while i get the money for the bodyshop, so it will be just a primer, then a BC, no CC. i would prefer it if the BC had a flex additive, but i know that may not be available in a spray can. actually, i just thought of this while typing--what about using aircraft flexible paint meant for the cloth material on some planes? i can't remember where i heard about that, but i wonder if that'll work.
Stits Poly Fiber is a vinyl base paint. I used Airtech filler primers on a customers car and did great. We repaired the cracks by grinding a V in the crack and used 3M 2 parts heavy body seam sealer. From primer down, very flexible, and just make sure to use flex agent in the clear.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

watch the video "bulldog as a flex agent" he paints a fender liner then bends the crap out of it, wonder if it would work for our endura noses?

http://www.wmbarr.com/bulldog/bulldog_videos.aspx

1964 corvette roadster
1968 corvette roadster
1962 corvette

"equal rights, not equal things"
if you want to know the future, read "atlas shrugged"

I dont race a 4spd because it is easy, I race a 4spd because it is hard.