The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtonegto View Post
Also took some time and opened up an extra hood scoop - I say that someone else had done this and thought it was a good idea. I don't "plan" on driving in the rain.......
That's a really neat job on that. How'd you go about doing it?

Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a die grinder to remove the biggest part - there's probably 1/8th inch to be removed.

Once u start seeing the stripes of the venting, u need to take it easy. Finish with emery paper, etc. I used a razor blade to remove the very thin stripes that were left between the vent slats. Finish them off with emery paper too.

I'm sure there are many ways to remove the bulk of the metal.

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may try that if I get a spare set. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WE HAVE COLOR!!!

Finally got some color on the car - well, at least on the doors - will have more tomorrow.

Color is code "N" Burgundy in a base/clear. You can really see the metallic that's in the original mix - looks great IMHO.

Also have the dash done with flat on top and 60% on the bottom but its hard to make out in the picture.

Got my totally rebuilt heater box back together with all new seals and new insulation on the firewall.

Working tomorrow on the under-dash wires, cleaning up the spaghetti. Found where the flasher is supposed to go today, it was just hanging loose and not making enough noise for me to hear it.

Got the paint jobber to make a mix of parchment for my door post/sills and my side (vinyl) panels. He used a computer scan of one of my bucket seats to get the color right. Haven't sprayed the parchment inside yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doors1.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	203471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doors2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	203472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash 5.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	203473  

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update

Got particularly ambitious today and decided to paint my calipers and master cylinder in heat resistant gray.

Then went on and sanded by front frame rails, upper control arms and anti-sway bar and did they in gloss black.

Took off all my chassis, fender, radiator support and firewall grounds and cleaned them to bare metal - they all needed it too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	203539   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame2.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	203540   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame3.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	203541   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame4.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	203542  

Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update

Well got my firewall insulation, heater box and majority of the dash back together.

Not happy with with the glove box door so I'm going to sand it out and put some filler in spots. You can see the indentations of some broads knees on the door...........lol

Currently the primer is being block sanded with 180 and then 320 - I'm helping the painter in doing this or I'd never get my car out of there. I knew I was in for BS when I realized his shop radio is locked on a holy roller channel........

Finally got some color on the outside of the doors - of course its got dust/pollen all over them because of "a gust of wind".............. true that most of the clear was going to be block sanded anyway but I'm not happy about seeing the doors like that. The sob is obviously rushing now since I've totally run out of patience with him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doors3.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	204545   Click image for larger version

Name:	door4.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	204546  

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OK Finally Some Real Results

Finally both quarters have been bumped, filled, blocked, final sanded and final primed today. So the entire main body is in its final coat of primer.

Both doors were sanded to remove that junk got onto the clear, then the final clear was shot on them today. They will then get a final sand/buff.

The inside of both the trunk lid and the hood were base/cleared today also.

Been a long time coming...........but it's going quick now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PrimerFinal2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	204869   Click image for larger version

Name:	finalprimer5.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	204870   Click image for larger version

Name:	paintedTrunk.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	204871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted Hood.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	204872  

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good! Cant wait to see it done, with the new wheels. I really like the color!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I'm Screwed!!

I noticed last night that the lower quarters didn't look right. This is the first time the car has been in the daylight. Turns out I was right, they are 3/4" too far out on each side.
Meaning that the bumper won't fit over the rear quarters at all.

Imagine if I had found this after the final paint and buffing!!!

He's there now with a chassis/uni-body guy trying to pull them into the correct profile...... it aint gonna happen w/o ruining the brand new trunk extensions and lower quarter sections.

I told him I will accept absolutely no filler in those sections..........unreal.

I'm beside myself right now............ car's gonna end up being a rat rod..............

Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

UGH!! That sucks! Thats going to take some time to repair!! How the hell can that even happen??

Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He doesnt have any experience with LeMans, GTO etc and had no respect for the lousy job that was done on the quarters by the previous owner - but at least the profile was correct. Just a p-poor follow up on the install - should have realized the bumper had to fit with the quarters - duh.
Those trunk extensions aren't shaped to just drop in and weld either, as I've read in other threads. Others can comment on how accurate that statement is.
I'm hoping MichaelRoy can get his car by tomorrow so we can take some measurements and get the car right. Aaargh!!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Turns out I was right, they are 3/4" too far out on each side.
I am in the process of installing my lower quarters and trunk extensions as well. Your right, the trunk extensions are a nightmare to work with, and for that matter so was the trunk kit....LOL. After fitting and cutting of everything to get my quarters to fit as I liked, I had to reattach my bumper just to make sure I didnt have the same issue you are having. There really is no good reference when sizing everything up, and the relation of the new trunk extensions are no help at all.

Can ya post up what your measurements end up being? I have mine, but not sure how accurate they are or I would share mine.

And my car is going at the snails pace compared to yours.......so jealous.....

Rich C

Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich,

I'd be glad to give you the final dimensions but what I told him was that the lower quarters need to fit within the bumper with 1/2" clearance on each side. So that dimension will be 1" short of the bumper's inside width.
Sure, the bumper could be a little bit bent/off.........but at this point it fine with me.
You just can't be a good body man and not know that the bumper is a controlling factor.
"My grandfather was in auto body...my dad and uncle was in auto body...." - yeah well you need to break the chain and get into something else.............

Old 05-01-2010, 04:19 PM

"You just can't be a good body man and not know that the bumper is a controlling factor."

LOL....so true. This is my first attempt at this and I knew to use the bumper just to make sure.

Hope things turn out good for ya..

Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I have down here is my 65 Tempest (should be the same as a GTO). But if it would do you any good I could take some measurments for you. My bumper filler piece is looking a little rusty, would be a good time to clean it up and repaint it!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the offer gtome, at this point he's got to get the lower rear quarters to fit within the bumper........... I'm afraid to go over and find out how he's doing that!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gtome could use one measurement afterall.

Could u measure the inside dimension of the tip of the rear wheel well opening - the one, by chance, that shows in my avatar (must be karma).

I believe that even though the stainless seems to fit, that its too far out.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mrtonegto, your car is looking great!

Love how your hood scoop turned out too. Wish I could do it with mine but I can't take it out without messing up the airbrushed flames coming out of it. I think Old Goat 67 is working on doing his scoop like you did yours, but haven't heard yet how he's coming along on it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Gary, I'm hoping for a good resolution to the lower rear quarters issue.
I'm giving him a few days to figure a fix and make them right - I'll find out tomorrow.
Oldgoat won't have a problem with it, it's just a lot of grinding.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update

Sorry to say there's no good news, lower quarters were put in wrong and no progress has been made on the car since last week. Car was to be done by 5/15, that's the third and final deadline that will be missed. I'm out of understanding and patience.

I'm thankful that I documented the progress along the way and kept excellent notes (old business habits die hard). Also thankful that I posted the pics on this board so their dates can be verified and the lack of progress can be as well.

Nothing but excuses and contradictory statements one after the other from the guy - it's sad, especially for someone who professes to be religious and teaches each Sunday. Again this week he put other jobs ahead and then in desperation says "... I have bills and a mortgage to pay..." - same tired explanation with each missed deadline.

I've urged him to negotiate with me to bring this matter to an amiable solution.........