The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats always an idea. I need to see how far it is.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 AM

I bought a complete trunk floor from Dynacorn, it was for a Buick , not a GTO. My question is, the floor needs cut, an part of the old GTO floor welded back in to make the taillight bezel fit. HAS ANYONE RAN INTO THIS? If so can you please help me with some instructions or even better, pictures and instructions? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why did you buy a Buick trunk for a GTO?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Default didnt buy

I didn't buy it , that's what they sent me and said it was the closest thing to GTO THEY HAD. I DIDNT JOOIN THIS SITE TO HAVE MY INTELLIGENCE INSSULTED. I JUST ASK A SIMPPE QUEStion.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasnt trying to insult you, just thought there was a reason why, maybe it was cheaper, or better quality. I am looking and saw them on ebay that say they are for Buick, Olds, Pontiac. No need to get uptight and start yelling already.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ajhorn, what year are you dealing with?

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Default sorry

i am sorry,
i should have made my self clearer, I called AMES and they said that was the only trunk floor they offered as well, and i would have to use a section of my old floor and cut the other floor and mate the two together so I thought it may be a common problem, and when I joined your site, i thought i may get out to someone who had ran into the same problem.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM

Default 1969

Its a 69 GTO

Last edited by ajhorn; 03-20-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: HIJACKED THREAD
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sheesh AJ. You got talked into a Buick floor for a GTO, sent an almost unintelligible rant when someone asked why and hijacked a thread.
Doesn't seem as though it was bill that was insulting your intelligence, doing pretty good by your self.btw, welcome to Py, start your own thread, chill a bit and I guarantee you will get the help ya need.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, we're getting somewhere! You don't have a Buivk trunk floor, although the buick guys wish somebody made one! There are two different trunk pans from the factory on 69's, the early pan was used until around the beginning of April, depending on the plant. It has the same shelf design as the 68's. The later trunk shares the shelf design with the 70's. Both are reproduced in the 3 piece offerings, usually sold as a 7 piece kit with the 4 braces. If you bought the FULL trunk pan for a 69, it is actually a 68 Pontiac part. The entire rear section needs reused from the original trunk floor. we section it over the rear body brace so there is visible seam from the bottom to fill. If you have the later trunk floor and want to retain the correct "hump" on the shelf behind the seat, you will need to use a 70 Chevelle one piece trunk floor, the rear section will need changed as with the 68 pan. The only issue that a few of the channels in the floor don't line up perfectly with those on the Pontiac rear section.

There is no perfect trunk floor for the 69 GTO. It is a problem we've had for years. Thank goodness it's only metal!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhorn View Post
Its a 69 GTO
I can't understand why they said a Buick pan was the closest you could get. The '68 Pontiac A-Body pan is identical to the '69 except for a short section near the tail panel due to the difference in the tail lights. Sounds like the same thing they told you about the Buick pan.
The Parts Place has the complete, one piece '68 Pontiac pan and PY probably has it also...not sure.
I used one and it was probably the nicest, closest to original repop part I've had any personal experience with.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 03-20-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I can't understand why they said a Buick pan was the closest you could get. The '68 A-Body pan is identical to the '69 except for a short section near the tail panel due to the difference in the tail lights.
Only on the early cars....

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM

Default sorry

Didnt know i hijacked a thread, it said the body shop, and thats where I left my post, sorry again guys, dont want to step on anybodys toes, MY IGNROANCE, I didnt know I was susposed to start new thread, I just thought you (I) was susposed chime in to a thread. sorry for my ignorance AND I APPOLOGIZE to ANY ONE I OFFENDED.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You offended no one. Did I help you? I'll be glad to answer any more questions you may have. I hope my response was easy to follow.

When you click on the body shop forum there is a tab for new topics, You could post a new topic in the future, The response is usually better than adding to an older thread.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
Only on the early cars....
What do you mean Paul?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are two very different trunk pans in 69 GTO's. As I posted above everything built before, and in, March got the 68 style hump on the shelf behind the rear seat. All Cars built from the third week of April until the end of production recieved the 70 style hump that extends back to where it drops off to the trunk floor. Early to mid April cars could be either depending on the plant...

The cowls were changed to the 70 parts a little later in production.

There are three different shells used on 69 GTO's... anyone getting nervous yet? lol

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No offense taken here and no problem on the hijack, all this info is useful even though mine is a 67. Im going ti just get mine from py I think. Welcome to py by the way.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Thank you all. I will start another thread an get more info from you about this before I start cutting any metal. thanks again

Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck, a 69 is.a.beautiful ride.

Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
There are two very different trunk pans in 69 GTO's. As I posted above everything built before, and in, March got the 68 style hump on the shelf behind the rear seat. All Cars built from the third week of April until the end of production recieved the 70 style hump that extends back to where it drops off to the trunk floor. Early to mid April cars could be either depending on the plant...

The cowls were changed to the 70 parts a little later in production.

There are three different shells used on 69 GTO's... anyone getting nervous yet? lol
Ok, got you. I was still thinking just in terms of what would fit and was only thinking of the tail panel issue. I did know about the hump difference in later cars but had no idea that it changed over in '69.