The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Default new thread

Sir I started a new thread to stay within rules of website. Its in body shop tech.
The guy at AMES told me , looking at the rear of the floor, the new floor needs cut at the top edge of the last brace and weld my old floorpan there. He said that would make the tail light housing to be in the right place. Does that sound right to you?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhorn View Post
Sir I started a new thread to stay within rules of website. Its in body shop tech.
The guy at AMES told me , looking at the rear of the floor, the new floor needs cut at the top edge of the last brace and weld my old floorpan there. He said that would make the tail light housing to be in the right place. Does that sound right to you?
Sounds like exactly the same issue that has to be addressed when using the '68 Pontiac A-body pan on the later model Pontiac A-body. The mystery is why he thought you needed to use a Buick pan. I'm wondering if he just mis-spoke and was telling you about the well known issue in using the '68 pan on a '69 car OR...the may be interchangeable, I don't know anything about Buick trunk pans...
By the way, I don't think you broke any site rules...It's more of an etiquette thing to consider whether you're taking the original poster's thread off in another direction or not. Most times, they don't mind if it's related to the original topic.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its actually interesting, I need to subscribe to his thread.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

THERE IS NO BUICK TRUNK PAN!!!

Good god, nobody can get one right for a Pontiac, you think they tooled up for 69 Buicks? It's the 68 pan...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!

Last edited by PaulatFast; 03-21-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 AM

Default Just repeating

When I explained my problem with AMES the rep is the one who told me I had a Buick pan. I believe you, that their are no Buick pans , I am just repeating what I was told.I am just trying to find out where to cut the trunk and put my old piece of trunk floor and taillight bracket.

Last edited by ajhorn; 03-21-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Default PY and Tam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
Couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. We all are entitled to opinions. Maybe we should all go over to the Pontiac forums on the parts places website? Oh yeah they don't have any. I always enjoy the Parts Place Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk every year... wait, that's Ames. Well I am grateful that the parts place brings all of those little detail items that no one else makes to every pontiac show or swap meet... hmmm, I guess that's actually Inline Tube.

I just firmly believe in taking care of those that take of you.

These guys all sell each others parts... across the board,
I have bought from both and they are both excellent. The customer service and parts quality is what i expect. The quarters and trunk floor from Tamraz were like OEM

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

...and you fully understand they are not Tamraz parts... right?

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
...and you fully understand they are not Tamraz parts... right?
of course , but i put stock in the fact some companies will only partner themselves with quality suppliers. Tamraz (and PY) seem to do this. I dont believe PY builds their parts either but has good suppliers

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not so much in this industry. There aren't that many choices out there, not much competition. Tamraz sells anything, doesn't usually stock it, just picks it up at the Parts Place and ships it out, no overhead, gives nothing back to the Pontiac hobby and reproduces nothing for us. Money spent with him is dead money as far as keeping the hobby going and getting more parts made. Money spent with PY goes into research and development of more parts for our restorations, provides us this free forum which is invaluable, and Chris sponsors every Pontiac event in the country damn near. Huge difference in my opinion. Not even open for debate. Take care of those that take care of you.

Ever been to Tamraz's store? Wharehouse? Seen any parts with his name on it?

I don't mean to diss anyone, but I firmly believe, especially on Performance Years Forums, we defend and promote the true Pontiac guys, not to mention OUR HOST.

www.fastrestorations.com

Last edited by PaulatFast; 03-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Not so much in this industry. There aren't that many choices out there, not much competition. Tamraz sells anything, doesn't usually stock it, just picks it up at the Parts Place and ships it out, no overhead, gives nothing back to the Pontiac hobby and reproduces nothing for us. Money spent with him is dead money as far as keeping the hobby going and getting more parts made. Money spent with PY goes into research and development of more parts for our restorations, provides us this free forum which is invaluable, and Chris sponsors every Pontiac event in the country damn near. Huge difference in my opinion. Not even open for debate. Take care of those that take care of you.

Ever been to Tamraz's store? Wharehouse? Seen any parts with his name on it?

I don't mean to diss anyone, but I firmly believe, especially on Performance Years Forums, we defend and promote the true Pontiac guys, not to mention OUR HOST.
clearly you have a poor history with Tamraz, i dont disagree with your comments as above and am indeed a PY fan and supporter, but to limit ones options to one supplier defeats the hobbyists dreams. This is a big industry and i beleive there is room for more than one supplier. Youre in business and most know, competition makes the industry honest

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcac View Post
clearly you have a poor history with Tamraz, i dont disagree with your comments as above and am indeed a PY fan and supporter, but to limit ones options to one supplier defeats the hobbyists dreams. This is a big industry and i beleive there is room for more than one supplier. Youre in business and most know, competition makes the industry honest
ps. thanks for helping me get my posts count up

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcac View Post
I support more than one supplier. I buy from Ames, Inline Tube, Right Stuff Detailing, The Parts Place and PY. I favor PY for many of the reasons I posted above.

My relationship with Tamraz is non-existant. Guys with no overhead ruin it for the real businesses in my opinion. I do have one story I'll share. My nieghbor was looking for a windshield for his 65 sport fury, everyone he found with a windshield listed was adding shipping from a warehouse in Atlanta. In other words, they were dealers for the glass company. No problem. My buddy didn't want to chance shipping a 600.00 piece of glass. Tamraz had it listed on ebay, my buddy called and was told they had it on the shelf and could ship it same day. As luck would have it, I was heading to Chicago to pick up a car and some parts from the Parts Place, I offered to pick it up for him. I will leave out the gory details of the ordeal. Let me just say they didn't have the windshield, weren't honest about the whole deal, dodged calls, weren't located in the building, or at the address listed in thier ebay store.

I know he has been in the parts business for along time. I believe Joe from the Parts Place actually worked for him years ago. He might be a great guy. He's just not a Pontiac guy and my one dealing with him was not good... at all...

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as far as...

www.fastrestorations.com

Ultimate Warrior

adding to your post count...

www.fastrestorations.com

Ultimate Warrior

there are other ways!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

I'm going to chime in today as I was curious how my 1 piece pan was going to fit into my week 1 march built 69. The pan is seemingly identical in all aspects. Even at the tail panel section. I'm still likely going to mate it with the original section of pan there instead of messing with the tail panel, but it is exactly what it needs to be. Here is a picture of the pan fit into the body laying just under the ail pan piece I'll be leaving in.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM

Default nice

thank you sir for the picture. worth a thousand words, have you got a shot from the bottom side?

Last edited by ajhorn; 03-22-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul
I completely agree.
I feel the same way, like you,I only buy parts from parts suppliers that create new parts and invest in development of new parts.
Very important!

Quote:
I support more than one supplier. I buy from Ames, Inline Tube, Right Stuff Detailing, The Parts Place and PY. I favor PY for many of the reasons I posted above.

My relationship with Tamraz is non-existant. Guys with no overhead ruin it for the real businesses in my opinion. I do have one story I'll share. My nieghbor was looking for a windshield for his 65 sport fury, everyone he found with a windshield listed was adding shipping from a warehouse in Atlanta. In other words, they were dealers for the glass company. No problem. My buddy didn't want to chance shipping a 600.00 piece of glass. Tamraz had it listed on ebay, my buddy called and was told they had it on the shelf and could ship it same day. As luck would have it, I was heading to Chicago to pick up a car and some parts from the Parts Place, I offered to pick it up for him. I will leave out the gory details of the ordeal. Let me just say they didn't have the windshield, weren't honest about the whole deal, dodged calls, weren't located in the building, or at the address listed in thier ebay store.

I know he has been in the parts business for along time. I believe Joe from the Parts Place actually worked for him years ago. He might be a great guy. He's just not a Pontiac guy and my one dealing with him was not good... at all...

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
I'm going to chime in today as I was curious how my 1 piece pan was going to fit into my week 1 march built 69. The pan is seemingly identical in all aspects. Even at the tail panel section. I'm still likely going to mate it with the original section of pan there instead of messing with the tail panel, but it is exactly what it needs to be. Here is a picture of the pan fit into the body laying just under the ail pan piece I'll be leaving in.

I just checked every parts resource I have and no-one lists a correct pan... they all show the pan as 68 to 72, but only correct for 68. From that pic I can't tell if the sides where it mounts to the tailpanel are flat like a 69 or raised light a 68... Could you post the manufacturer and part number for us? That would be awesome if someone has come out with a correct 69 trunk floor!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

Quote:
I just checked every parts resource I have and no-one lists a correct pan... they all show the pan as 68 to 72, but only correct for 68. From that pic I can't tell if the sides where it mounts to the tailpanel are flat like a 69 or raised light a 68... Could you post the manufacturer and part number for us? That would be awesome if someone has come out with a correct 69 trunk floor!
Not sure what you mean by the sides where it mounts to the tailpanel. Here is a pic of the back, and of the sticker on it. It looks like a perfect fit everywhere.