The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
With a sweet ride like that id be crying all the time too!!!
Lol thanks trying to make it as nice as I can afford to. Ran into an issue yesterday hanging the rt fender can't get the upper door lie to match up seems like the contour is off spent all afternoon adjusting. Have another fender going to try but it needs work just going to see where the issue is was rolling along to both doors and left fender went right in.wish I knew someone lose to lend an eye.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I wish you were a bit closer! I just finsihed a 66, have one I put in first prime today, and another one we just blasted. I can do a 66 in my sleep now. Post a picture, maybe we could help from here?

The Following User Says Thank You to gtome For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Yeah I wish you were a bit closer! I just finsihed a 66, have one I put in first prime today, and another one we just blasted. I can do a 66 in my sleep now. Post a picture, maybe we could help from here?
I hung my other fender for a test and it lined up just fine it appears they somehow flattened the curve of the upper fender and I have no idea how to get it out the brace is right under it I just totally suck at metal work I can paint and build anything that has gears but metal is not my thing never learned proper techniques .The dr side is fine so that's a plus just hate having to trust another body shop got a bad taste from the last 2.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default sCREECHIN HALT NEED SOME IDEAS I'M OUT

So I tried to hang the pass frt fender and ran into a major issue the tire is rubbing the back lower corner of the fender when I turn the wheel I have no adjustment to improve clearance .When I had the body off the bodyshop said the frame was fine so they say he said he measured the points and it all lined up. The frt suspension is new I know there is nothing bent I know the r upper control arm is on the pass side and the l is on the drivers side the lowers only fit one way in the pics you can see how much space diff there is the rear tires have the same distance from the lower edge to the front of the tire everything in the car lines up am I overthinking this or what any help please.

pass side
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIRE 001 (Small).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	352407

Name:	TIRE 002 (Small).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	352408
dr side

Name:	TIRE 003 (Small).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	352409

Name:	TIRE 004 (Small).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	352410
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TIRE 005 (Small).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	352411  

Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well guy's haven't posted on this in a while I'm to embarrassed but have run out of ideas .I guess my frame must have an issue and now I can't find a shop here that will look at it have been waiting 8 weeks for the only guy I know that does older cars here in Tampa. I spent 300 on the last shop and ended up in the same place I was at the start guy said he measured everything and that I needed a lower control arm I guess I was so relived at the news that I didn't consider the alternative of him being wrong so now I have been at a stand still for weeks .I am so tired of body shops this is the third one when I called him back he just kind of went blank and told me I should call around for a frame shop well when I took it to the I was told they had access to a frame machine and could do everything there well guess not ever seen a grown man cry I'm almost at the point of giving up and cutting my losses I don't have the body to do another frame swap even if I could find one locally. I guess what I'm pissed about the most is I specifically requested the frame be checked when I had the body off was told everything was within specs my dream has now become a nightmare and being on a fixed income I am just at a loss.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the body on crooked??

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No the measurement from front wheel to rear wheel on lt and rt sides is 1'' off I thought of that to but took some body bolts back out and the holes are centered also measure the rear weel from front of tire to wheel opening and it's same on both sides.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO you need to take a bunch more measurements and narrow down where the issue is. 1 inch is a lot.

I went through a similar issue with my bumper not fitting. I was dealing with 1/4 difference here and a 1/4 difference there. I got help from others to get what their measurements were and finaly figured out what was going on.

If the frame checks out and I assume with criss X cross measurements and if the rear end is centered in the wheel wells and is the same on both sides could the A - arm mounts have got bent some how?

I would ask someone else with a 66 to measure their front wheel to back fender distance.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
IMO you need to take a bunch more measurements and narrow down where the issue is. 1 inch is a lot.

I went through a similar issue with my bumper not fitting. I was dealing with 1/4 difference here and a 1/4 difference there. I got help from others to get what their measurements were and finaly figured out what was going on.

If the frame checks out and I assume with criss X cross measurements and if the rear end is centered in the wheel wells and is the same on both sides could the A - arm mounts have got bent some how?

I would ask someone else with a 66 to measure their front wheel to back fender distance.
I have a 66 lemans parts car and the wheel measurements are the same as the gto just the rt frt is setback 1'' the rear wheels are centered and both sides measure the same from frt of wheel well to frt of tire and rear of ww to tire on both sides the x measurement is right on but the wheel base is 1" off on the pass side now I know why they had a smaller tire on the rt frt when I bought the car. I took it to the body shop just to get a second set of eyes what a waste.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
I have a 66 lemans parts car and the wheel measurements are the same as the gto just the rt frt is setback 1'' the rear wheels are centered and both sides measure the same from frt of wheel well to frt of tire and rear of ww to tire on both sides the x measurement is right on but the wheel base is 1" off on the pass side now I know why they had a smaller tire on the rt frt when I bought the car. I took it to the body shop just to get a second set of eyes what a waste.
Just some logical thinking, i hope.

Assuming the fenders are the same dimensions on both sides (As in no patch work that would effect the distance) the issue would have to be either with the lower A arms or the frame mounting points. Could there be a different lower A-arm on each side? I would think that with some careful measurements of the lower A arm mounting points and to the A-arm ball joint to the center of the frame cross member you could narrow down what is off. I would also think that with a 1 inch difference that if there was frame damage it would be visual and obvious without measurements.

Just to check you do have the same tire size now right?

Last edited by rohrt; 04-01-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Just some logical thinking, i hope.

Assuming the fenders are the same dimensions on both sides (As in no patch work that would effect the distance) the issue would have to be either with the lower A arms or the frame mounting points. Could there be a different lower A-arm on each side? I would think that with some careful measurements of the lower A arm mounting points and to the A-arm ball joint to the center of the frame cross member you could narrow down what is off. I would also think that with a 1 inch difference that if there was frame damage it would be visual and obvious without measurements.

Just to check you do have the same tire size now right?
Tire size the same new coopers 235-15 if I had gone with smaller tires probrably would not have noticed it but the pass side is rubbing dr side fine I put a new lower a arm on the pass side as recommended by the shop that looked at it so I know it's good brand new I would think the damage would be obvious to but not found yet.

Last edited by 1966geeto; 04-01-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: correct input.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ones original and ones brand new?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSBACK View Post
Ones original and ones brand new?
Not sure what you mean the rt lower is a brand new repop the lt lower is original I have the rt lower original that came off the car both looked identical.Going to pull the fenders off both cars today and do some comparison measurements see if I can fid anything.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I meant if one is a repop and ones original, maybe there's a difference between the two.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I meant if one is a repop and ones original, maybe there's a difference between the two.
I replaced the original that was on the car with a repop and took the one off my parts car they all were the same.Good thought

Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know I'm grabbing at straws but it's a weird one you have there.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I know I'm grabbing at straws but it's a weird one you have there.
I appreciate any straws that can be grabbed I have been going crazy as I am by myself and am probrobly staring right at it I though with having the parts car here it would have made it easier to find but nah my luck every corner I turn seems to be a fight lately think about giving up then I start it just can't.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is another "straw", or 2

Measure the 'straightness' of the body on the frame. When putting the body back on the frame, there is some 'play', so make sure the body (pinch welds) are 'parallel' to the frame rails.

I read about someone trying to install their rear bumper on straight, and they ended up loosening and adjusting the body mounts to the frame to 'straighten' the body, on the frame.

The other idea that comes to mind is the alignment of that wheel. If you put shims between the forward upper A arm and the frame, that should angle the the wheel forward. I have seen up to 4 shims on some cars. ???? (don't know if it will make that much of a difference) are the threaded rods that connect the upper control arms to the frame original?? someone was on this forum and was struggling with welded studs to the frame.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Here is another "straw", or 2

Measure the 'straightness' of the body on the frame. When putting the body back on the frame, there is some 'play', so make sure the body (pinch welds) are 'parallel' to the frame rails.

I read about someone trying to install their rear bumper on straight, and they ended up loosening and adjusting the body mounts to the frame to 'straighten' the body, on the frame.

The other idea that comes to mind is the alignment of that wheel. If you put shims between the forward upper A arm and the frame, that should angle the the wheel forward. I have seen up to 4 shims on some cars. ???? (don't know if it will make that much of a difference) are the threaded rods that connect the upper control arms to the frame original?? someone was on this forum and was struggling with welded studs to the frame.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted.
What's not making any sense to me is that when I measure from a specific point on the frame to the zert fitting on the lower b joint the measurement is dead on both sides when I measure overall wheel base I'm 1" short on the pass side I re measured the rear frame points and they are dead on rear axel is centered in frame and the only thing I have read is that it may be diamond shape shifting the pass side but I would thin k that it would show that kid of damage somewhere. Frustrating to say the least.