And we use black gloves, btw.
Lmao !

Old 12-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Why yes, I did forget.
And we use black gloves, btw.
What good are those? They only have one finger!

Old 12-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Lightbulb

Lmao!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 66 Tempest painted all black by Maaco in Memphis back in 1976, something like $199. Looked beautiful ... with the exception of wherever I messed up body work. Don't know how long it would last ... wrecked it about six months later. But it was dang impressive for $200.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My father in law who is a perfectionist to the highest degree basically told me I was stupid for even considering having Maaco do the paint job today. I really don’t see that it could be a bad idea if the proper steps are taken. The front sheetmetal is off and they said they would paint it like that then reassemble the front end for an extra 695 so I think I’m gonna do it. Paint is the one thing I’ve been dreading and they have a book of cars they’ve done and they don’t look like house of kolor or anything but I am going to drive the car as my primary means of conveyance except when I need the room of the yukon

Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

metallic or solid color.If metallic have it shot put together IMO.Tom

Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
My father in law who is a perfectionist to the highest degree basically told me I was stupid for even considering having Maaco do the paint job today. I really don’t see that it could be a bad idea if the proper steps are taken. The front sheetmetal is off and they said they would paint it like that then reassemble the front end for an extra 695 so I think I’m gonna do it. Paint is the one thing I’ve been dreading and they have a book of cars they’ve done and they don’t look like house of kolor or anything but I am going to drive the car as my primary means of conveyance except when I need the room of the yukon
You can be the only one at the cruise Night with a 45,000 Tempest with a Macco paint job....kinda 1 of 1.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
metallic or solid color.If metallic have it shot put together IMO.Tom
The color is 64 silvermist grey

Old 12-05-2017, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Will be very interested to see the result.

Just for the heck of it I checked the Yelp reviews for our local Maaco ... all good.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Being from the northeast I don't recall many/any Maccos growing up but this topic reminds me of the old Earl ads. He was the King of Budget Minded Paint jobs

Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Includes wheels ... because if I remember right they painted the wheels, wheel covers and tires whether you wanted it or not

Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No Maaco shops around here anymore.....there was one...but it closed many moons ago

Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After getting estimates of 30000, 17000, and 12000 I decided while I was in Anderson I would just stop at Maaco and show the representative the pictures on my phone and see what they said. After a brief conversation with the shop manager he looked at my pictures and agreed with me that AMD had already done all the hard work. He pulled out a book that he had kept of all the cars they had done like mine and I know you cant tell a lot by pictures but they looked like good drivers to me which is what mine would be. I plan on driving mine everyday. It will be kept in a garage when not in use. I think after talking to him and touring the shop I am really gonna use Maaco. He said it would take him about 6 weeks and they are gonna remount the front end and adjust the door gaps and everything. He said all in he could not see it being any higher than 6000 dollars and that was because I wanted to use Dupont paint for which I had the exact factory code for. Yall may think I am crazy but I am not paying more for the paint job than I did for the WHOLE reassembly and build of the back half of the car. Thats just ridiculous to me. There is not other bodywork to be done besides just prepping for paint and pulling a few minor dents. There is no more rust to speak of except a few in the leading edge of the hood. We will see how it turns out.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t think you’re crazy. Maybe a little repetitive sometimes. Prep is 90% of a paint job. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I certainly don't think you're crazy. I've got a '65 GTO that came out of the paint shop in '09 I think it was, done by an old friend (now deceased) who had owned his paint and body shop for fifty years. $11k paint job. Not back together yet and has been in my shop in a separate room off by itself. The paint has developed problems and the car may have to be completely redone. Then there is the '63 Catalina that has been back three times and still has a problem or two. Not $11k but not cheaply done. Both of these were PPGs best stuff. If I ever get around to doing another one it may well be Maaco in Baytown, Tx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the gto is back home 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	475154   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1655.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	475155  

Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

61-63, what sort of paint problems are you having on each car? Any pictures you can share?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
61-63, what sort of paint problems are you having on each car? Any pictures you can share?
Kind of stealing the fellows thread a little but -

GTO - one small bubble on the top of the car but several big bubbles on the hood plus what I call pinpricks from the underside of the paint all over the hood.
I'm attaching two pictures of the hood.

Red '63 - 1st trip back to the shop the above type of pinpricks all over the hood and less but some patches of them on the deck lid and on other upper surfaces. Then several large bubbles here and there. 2nd trip back was because he taped off a square in a couple of places he fixed during trip #1 and color sanded and buffed afterward, and he did a really good job but you could see the lines outlining the squares if you looked at the right angle. So I had him redo those whole panels. Next trip he needs to color sand a little and buff the areas where he does, because a couple of areas he fixed during visit #2 are duller than the rest of the car. He got tired of seeing the car I think. He knows he is going to see it once more though.

The pinpricks are microscopic pinpoints of rust that grew under the paint. These could have been avoided with etch primer or by wiping the bodies down with phosphoric acid before shooting the primer. On the red car the primer the fellow used said specifically to wipe the car down with acid before
shooting. I was there when he shot the primer and asked him if he did this and he said yes, but he fibbed about that. He took the hood back down to bare metal and DID wipe it down with acid this time and you could see tiny little black heads where the acid had converted the rust specs to iron phosphate.

The bubbles were where someone touched the car before the primer or one of the topcoats was shot. On the red car there were five big bubbles on the top edge of one quarter panel which were clearly where someone placed their finger and thumb tips on that surface as they walked by the car, at least that is what it looked like. It may have been the person who wiped the car down just before shooting the primer or one of the topcoats. The pinpricks and bubbles on the GTO hood are the same thing I think. Both cars were shot taken apart. Both were taken down to bare metal. I brought the GTO home in pieces but we put the red '63 back together before it came home. It was gorgeous but then within three months and bubbles and pinpricks started showing up. Just made me sick. The guy who did the GTO is now gone but was the "go to" guy for old cars for years down here and as I mention above owned and operated his paint and body shop for fifty years before he died. The fellow who did the red '63 now owns that body shop but when he did the red car he did it out of a building behind his house. I really like both guys and consider them friends but am not happy with either paint job especially given the money they cost me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4684.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	475176   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4687.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	475177  

Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you have it nailed. The pictures and description confirm the type of surface problems your having and the probable causes. When there are that kind of underlying surface conditions, any paint will show the same result, regardless of price and quality. Even the best PPG paint can't hide poor workmanship.
Those stubborn black specks you saw are actually as bad as any other rust. It's imbedded and should have been saturated with acid until it turned loose. We've been cleaning a Camaro with acid for weeks now to eliminate fine surface rust. Specks like you described don't "convert". I've looked at them under a microscope a few times. They have to be removed. They are dormant for a while and will eventually show up as blisters or fine wrinkles in the paint. Time and heat cause the primer coat to lift, and when it does it brings everything on top of it.
Just a few months ago I was warning someone on here that their pictures of a GTO in bare metal showed a potential for the same thing happening after paint. Him and a few others took offense, hence the prior glove remarks. Anyway, yours is proof of what I was trying to explain.
Best of luck to you on getting it done right, and thanks for the pictures and explanation.