The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JMO.being in this state and having had a lot of cars worked on over the last 20 years or so and the volume of work you had done and the paint used the price is fair.Unless you had a in writing firm price I would just say pay it and move on,from pics the car looks great.Tom

Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys crack me up.....try getting a plumber ( with a friggin Van ) or an Electrican ( with a van ) to work for 50-60.00 ph .....AINT HAPPENING ..... Oh ...and forget about paying a wrench that amount too. Yinz need to quit belly aching ....go watch some you tube videos ....buy a whole bunch of tools...get a garage...learn how to weld ( more you tube ) .....and do it yourself.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

As an HVAC guy - with a van - and a building - and employees - I understand the costs of doing business. I could only imagine telling a client it was going to be 12k for a new install though, taking 2.5 years to do it, and handing them a bill for 30k.. Ain’t happening.

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is why I disassembled, did metalwork and painted myself this time around. If I'm going to spend a lot of money I want tools and knowledge when I'm done. But for the work done, the price seems about right in today's market. The time frame, not so much.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNLOW View Post
As an HVAC guy - with a van - and a building - and employees - I understand the costs of doing business. I could only imagine telling a client it was going to be 12k for a new install though, taking 2.5 years to do it, and handing them a bill for 30k.. Ain’t happening.

Would that final cost be easier to handle if it had been completed in 6 months? Or would you feel you had been ripped off even worse because it was finished in 6 months? Just curious.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your car looks very nice in the pics you provided. I just wanted to get that out there. I can tell you with a high degree of accuracy how this situation would play out in Ohio. If the only estimate you have is for 12K in writing signed by you and no other updated estimate IN WRITING, the following is the law in OH. The MAXIMUM you would be required to pay is $13,200, period, no matter if they spent 100K on it. Ohio law states the repair shop can exceed the estimate by no more than 10% without WRITTEN, signed revised estimates agreed to by both parties. I have been hung out to dry a few times by these laws. Accurate estimates and reasonable customers make it work out OK. The work you have outlined is certainly worth more than 12K. But why the 12K estimate? There was a real disconnect somewhere in the process. In Ohio, you could lose your "friend", take him to court and almost certainly win a large judgement. In CA, I have no idea. Hope it works out for you in the long run.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Would that final cost be easier to handle if it had been completed in 6 months? Or would you feel you had been ripped off even worse because it was finished in 6 months? Just curious.
I wouldn’t have felt “ripped off” - I don’t feel “ripped off” now. If the paint doesn’t fall off the car or fade, at least I got something for my money. Steep? Yes, but not like guys who get “ripped off” truly and never get the work they paid for. I’m cool with a dentist pulling teeth and charging me to do it quickly, I don’t need to have him pull for 3 hours to feel I got a good deal. I’m just in shock because of the literal 250% increase in cost over what it was originally thought to be - and that wasn’t my estimate, but his! Besides, in 6 months it would have saved $2k in insurance and registration, and I would’t have bought another fun car in the mean time to scratch my itch! LoL.

Critter - I’ve painted this car myself twice before, painted two other 2nd gens, and my ‘66 Cuda. For the original idea of cost I figured I’d let them do it. At 29k I would have done it myself and been done 2 years ago.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I wouldn’t have felt “ripped off” - I don’t feel “ripped off” now. If the paint doesn’t fall off the car or fade, at least I got something for my money. Steep? Yes, but not like guys who get “ripped off” truly and never get the work they paid for. I’m cool with a dentist pulling teeth and charging me to do it quickly, I don’t need to have him pull for 3 hours to feel I got a good deal. I’m just in shock because of the literal 250% increase in cost over what it was originally thought to be - and that wasn’t my estimate, but his! Besides, in 6 months it would have saved $2k in insurance and registration, and I would’t have bought another fun car in the mean time to scratch my itch! LoL.

Critter - I’ve painted this car myself twice before, painted two other 2nd gens, and my ‘66 Cuda. For the original idea of cost I figured I’d let them do it. At 29k I would have done it myself and been done 2 years ago.
I kind of knew where this would go when I asked the question earlier. I have no idea of how close this person is to you but as someone I think mention you do not drop a 250 % increase in cost with out many calls and meeting to discuss that this build is getting out of control ?

I also understand $30000 to one person may be $10000 to the next, and your in a tough situation and it really comes down to value vs worth .
I also know some will say I do it for the love not to make money ,but that also depends on how deep your pockets are. If it were me I would come up with a max out the door price your willing to pay and if not met you need to walk.. I would work hard to make this work for both of you.

Over the years I have learn to get everything in writing. You also made a great point on many others who have lost even more money to find their car in worst shape than started with. Or even worse no car at all.

I think we all hope you and the shop can come to a price agreement that works for both of you. To the rest of us who have not learn this lesson yet . This in a way may help other to not make the same mistakes . I wish the best . Doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD

Last edited by MD79TA; 10-30-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Check
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM

I would pay the original estimate of $12k now and tell him you are willing to negotiate payment of the rest of his bill 2.5 years from now.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1966GTO View Post
I would pay the original estimate of $12k now and tell him you are willing to negotiate payment of the rest of his bill 2.5 years from now.
LOL....

Don

Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Yeah, see your point there. You already had the experience and tools.

The thing is, labor and material costs keep going up on this stuff. While I find the time frame stupid the cost of having it done is something other folks need to be aware of up front. I constantly hear from other folks in the hobby who think they can get a show quality paint job for $5K. They're stunned when I tell them $20K will get you close if you shop around.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car looks great now.
You picked a good path in the changes made.

They re-worked the whole body, metal changes, color change
Can see it might approach 20k with parts and materials included - all in.
But thats going to the High End.
Sounds like you should be able to come to an agreement.

Not saying this would be an accurate billing
but in your situation -
pick the maximum number [looking at finished product] you would have initially said YES to, in the beginning stage.
Add 25-30% to that number.
Then deduct at least 10% from that, for 2 years past due.

See where that lands

His billing is obviously flawed ... more like its done in a retrospect manner
trying to fit a given number.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ready to go surfaces-
Sand and Spray

40 hours to prep / paint an exterior with BC//CC
Spoilers and flares extra
Jambs extra
Cut and Buff extra

Have done many all-overs for as little as 30 hours working for the Man , on 40-50% commission , paying 30-35% income tax on my cut.

Example as follows
30 x 45 = 1350
45% = 607.50
30% taxes = - 182.50

= $425 in my pocket for a high caliber repaint

how many do you want to do ?
bear in mind they have to look GREAT
if you can't get GREAT without buffing - you're SOL in this business

shop owners get fat sitting behind a desk
great techs get skinny working their asses off

Tell that mutherfocker what you'll pay versus him keeping the car
he'll take your money i can almost guarantee

Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Ready to go surfaces-
Sand and Spray

Jambs extra
Cut and Buff extra

Have done many all-overs for as little as 30 hours working for the Man , on 40-50% commission , paying 30-35% income tax on my cut.

Example as follows
30 x 45 = 1350
45% = 607.50
30% taxes = - 182.50

I bet with those prices....XIM ....was involved ...LOL

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Ready to go surfaces-
Sand and Spray

Jambs extra
Cut and Buff extra

Example as follows
30 x 45 = 1350
45% = 607.50
30% taxes = - 182.50

I’d be pressed to find someone to paint a bedroom around here for that kind of money. A good detail costs that much. LoL

Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Out here in the boonies where there are lots of small body shops you can get a very passable paint job for $3-4000 .... assuming you are using basic materials that don't cost $1000 a gallon.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All Body Shop rates around here are currently 45-50 per hour.

Flash-Bond is optional , so is weather-beater latex.

Muslcah take your fatass to Sikkens headquarters in Norcross Georgia and look on the wall.
You'll see some of my work there on permanent display from the nationwide skill challenge I won.
Your jokes suck and you can shut the fukc up when you speak to me from now on.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! That's a huge bill for what was done to the car! Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but 29k and 2.5 years of sitting around in a body shop is unacceptable.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-31-2018, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bottom line is, body shops, (even though the all complain about insurance companies) make there money from Insurance claims. Most do resto's as fill work. Insurance work is more profitable for any shop, and they can do poor repairs and get away with it. On a resto car, we all want it real straight, no dirt, wet sanded flat and polished perfect. Every panel aligned and every moulding to fit perfect.
You were on the back burner while he made money for his shop. From photos, it looks good. Where I live that's not a low estimate but not a high one either.
Bitchin rides starts his resto's @ $250000.00 (yes 1/4 mill) and any extras make the price go up.
Around here resto shop shops get $75.00- 100.00 per hr plus materials.

Try and talk to him, the problem was a lack of communication.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The time frame sucked but the bill is not surprising to me at all.

There isn't a shop anywhere near me that'll touch a classic car, full paint job, for less than $18k to start, and the price goes up from there if the car needs any metal work. Pretty much the norm, and these shops are BUSY!!

The last red car I painted was $1800 a gallon for the base. Not my price, that's what I pay. Red is one of the more expensive colors.