Old 10-18-2000, 02:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

hello all,
i've been involved in the mechanics industry as a hobby and a mechanic for the past 29 years. i've read and colected many technical and how-to manuals on all aspects of the automobile. but, in all my years, i've never seen a good tech manual about cooling systems. oh sure, we've seen books that tell us about each cooling system component and how they work. we've also looked at troubleshooting guides.(which usually don't help us with our pontiac cooling problems)and we've seen different hot rod magazines tell us, "when building performance, run a big radiator, an aluminun water pump and a flex fan". this stuff usually works on other makes of cars and off they go. but what about our beloved pontiacs that seem to have a nasty reputation for running hot? we apply all of the basics and usually still have the problem. step two would obviously be to get more in depth. and the problem still exists.
what do you do now? well, lets stop right here. each one of us has a diferent depth of knowledge and mechanical ability... enter...
"how to run cool", cooling pontiac v-8's from 1955-79 by john van becay. this book puts all pontiac hobbyists in the same playing field. it has all the info in it to make our pontiacs (or any engine) run cooler. the book talks about the factors that contribute to overheating, and the practical things you can do when it is running hot.
circulation. faster or slower, and why.
airflow and tips on how to get more air to flow through your radiator. best fan to use. transmission coolers and placement.
it doesn't stop there. it also speaks of tune-up, radiators and engine oil. it goes on and on about all that can make an engine overheat. all in one book no less, and aimed at pontiacs.
i wish this book was around when i put my car together. as soon as the car overheated, i would have checked the basics first, and when that didn't work i would have definately turned to this book. you could sit down and read this book knowing exactly what to do and how to attack the problem. alot of guessing, trial and error and wasted spending could have been eliminated. this book has the knowledge of an expert pontiac cooling system meachanic. and its very easy read and right to the point. plus, you don't have to be an engineer to understand it. it's written so all can apply the info to their cars. and this is what puts the novice in the same ball park with he expert.(for this subject)
so, i would definately recommend that every pontiac person have this book in their library. its well worth having. even if you're only building a stock engine. build a little more than stock(especially in the '64-to-'67 gto's) and this book is a must!!
i can go on about why i think the bigger cubic inch pontiacs overheat and a fix that i applied, but we'll leave that for the forum.
tony

Old 10-18-2000, 02:15 PM

hello all,
i've been involved in the mechanics industry as a hobby and a mechanic for the past 29 years. i've read and colected many technical and how-to manuals on all aspects of the automobile. but, in all my years, i've never seen a good tech manual about cooling systems. oh sure, we've seen books that tell us about each cooling system component and how they work. we've also looked at troubleshooting guides.(which usually don't help us with our pontiac cooling problems)and we've seen different hot rod magazines tell us, "when building performance, run a big radiator, an aluminun water pump and a flex fan". this stuff usually works on other makes of cars and off they go. but what about our beloved pontiacs that seem to have a nasty reputation for running hot? we apply all of the basics and usually still have the problem. step two would obviously be to get more in depth. and the problem still exists.
what do you do now? well, lets stop right here. each one of us has a diferent depth of knowledge and mechanical ability... enter...
"how to run cool", cooling pontiac v-8's from 1955-79 by john van becay. this book puts all pontiac hobbyists in the same playing field. it has all the info in it to make our pontiacs (or any engine) run cooler. the book talks about the factors that contribute to overheating, and the practical things you can do when it is running hot.
circulation. faster or slower, and why.
airflow and tips on how to get more air to flow through your radiator. best fan to use. transmission coolers and placement.
it doesn't stop there. it also speaks of tune-up, radiators and engine oil. it goes on and on about all that can make an engine overheat. all in one book no less, and aimed at pontiacs.
i wish this book was around when i put my car together. as soon as the car overheated, i would have checked the basics first, and when that didn't work i would have definately turned to this book. you could sit down and read this book knowing exactly what to do and how to attack the problem. alot of guessing, trial and error and wasted spending could have been eliminated. this book has the knowledge of an expert pontiac cooling system meachanic. and its very easy read and right to the point. plus, you don't have to be an engineer to understand it. it's written so all can apply the info to their cars. and this is what puts the novice in the same ball park with he expert.(for this subject)
so, i would definately recommend that every pontiac person have this book in their library. its well worth having. even if you're only building a stock engine. build a little more than stock(especially in the '64-to-'67 gto's) and this book is a must!!
i can go on about why i think the bigger cubic inch pontiacs overheat and a fix that i applied, but we'll leave that for the forum.
tony

Old 10-18-2000, 07:26 PM

How can I obtain the book??? Is it available thru a bookstore...or special order??? Seems I've seen it advertised but can't recall where. Thanks for the info, I'd for sure like to add it to my growing Pontiac library.

------------------
Cruise On!!!

Old 10-19-2000, 06:20 AM

if you get pontiac enthusiast, the latest issue has an advertisement towards the rear of the magazine for this book.
tony

Old 10-19-2000, 11:19 AM

Tony,
Thanks I got the mag, I'll get my order in today.

------------------
Cruise On!!!