Old 04-16-2020, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I need a new paint product line

I need to find a new line of automotive paint products. Something maybe equivalent to the PPG Shopline or One Choice products. Need these qualities:

1. Good online presence with product data sheets.
2. Can be bought online and sent to my home.
3 Preferably a company that won't go out of business anytime soon.
4. Someone that offers a variety of paint performance levels ... offering products I can paint my tractor with, or my GTO, with decent compatibility between their products.
5. Hopefully with distributorships in the North East to save on shipping costs.

For years I used PPG products because my local autobody supply store sold them and I knew those guys. They are out business, as are pretty much all the autobody supply stores around here.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had to repair/paint drivers side doors on my Highlander, and I ordered paint/clearcoat from an online company called Automotive Touch up. Car was brand new, and my car canopy got loose and beat the crap out of the side of the car! Blended dark blue metallic and the paint match was dead on.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com

Reviews
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/gallery.htm

68 GTO
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try:
-Cliffs Auto Parts, Darlington Maryland-
I dont have their info off hand but a search will turn them up. They are local to me. I get all of my supplies there. Great bunch of guys. Have everything anyone would ever need to do body and paint work. They are a small mom and pop shop that has been around for at least 40yrs. hopefully they'll weather the storm. They do a tremendous amount of 'net business. Everytime im there they are busy packing boxes for shipment.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Automotive touch up and have been very happy with their service and their product. Their touch up colours match spot on. I painted my tenth with paint from them but im not sure a 'professional' would want or trust their "RTS" paint. Ready to spray, no 2 part mixing.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can get everything you need from SPI, Southern Polyurethanes, except base coat. Great products, great prices and free shipping. Their forum is one of the best out there. Tech support line is excellent. Base can be purchased from Chad at Autorod Technologies. He has Wanda and Motobase. Chad can also supply SPI.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm liking SPI so far. I assume their products are compatible with most big brand base coats?

Anyone know if they have an outlet that servers New York state? I assume shipping is only free from their GA store and not from the local retailers/distributors.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Compatible with most basecoats. You can always ask on the forum if in doubt.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I called SPI earlier this month (first time, even though I've heard of them for 10 years), and they told me they had a distributor in the area. He gave me his phone number and address. He was about 60 miles from me, but delivered to my city frequently and dropped my product off the same week I talked to SPI. Same price as their website ad too! The guy gave me a flyer (with pics) of all the products and prices.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just sent an email to SPI asking about local distributors.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:57 AM
Senior Chief

I've been using Tamco for the last 2 years. Used there primer,sealer , base and clear on my 70 Judge. Check them out on Facebook. High quality and cheap prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200415_191333.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	537585  

The Following User Says Thank You to ta-69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought SPI was clear coats only?

Old 04-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I thought SPI was clear coats only?

They have primers also. They have a nice sandable epoxy primer. I think they have a few colors also but no factory match type stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SPI does 2K primers, epoxy primers, clear coats and some solid color base coats I think.

It's a hard choice, I lean towards the big names because I know they have the labs, years of experience and complete product lines. The smaller product lines have good customer service and tech and will talk to a hobby painter.

It does get confusing with everyone claiming to be the best paint out there. Since I'm not a professional painter, the results are more likely down to ME not the product. Luckily I'm not looking for a show quality paint job, just basic OEM quality.

You have to take stuff on faith with the smaller guys, they all claim super secret ingredients and formulas, but they have devoted users. The big guys have SDS sheets with everything listed and lots of info on compatible products and use. And they all have examples of their products used on Pebble Beach winners ... probably way more down to the painter than the paint.

For me it's probably going to come down to access. Don't want to drive and hour, don't want to pay a fortune in shipping (or wait a week when I need something). I will have time to test out a few products as I have other things to paint before the GTO, and I have a test fender I'll be shooting a couple of times. The vast majority of my experience is with SS alkyd enamels, painting tractors, equipment etc. Last auto I painted was 25 years ago.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:28 AM

SPI does have a limited selection of base coats. They also have a few SS colors. So far I have only used their epoxy but plan on using the rest of their products on our GTO. If you don’t have a local distributor they ship for free.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They just got back to me, I can order direct ... excellent, free shipping.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jonny
I use all SPI products (reducers, epoxy, 2k primer, intercoat clear, universal and Euro clears, etc. and I’ve personally found them to be compatible with Ultra 7 and Dimension (Sherwin Williams) as well as Motobase, Prospray and Wanda. I Usually buy paint locally in UB7 when I need smaller amounts for repairs (excellent matches) but overall jobs (1+ gallons) I get from Chad in Michigan. He ships to NY. Great guy to deal with and much less expensive than local jobbers.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks bro, that's good enough for me. You and I are typically on the same page when it comes to what we are looking for.

Do you think Chad could mix you a Verdora Green that would make you happy?

Old 04-17-2020, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes. I would call Chad directly (his webpage listed in previous post) and he will let you know which line is best for that color. I know you were thinking single stage but, like I would, he’d also steer you towards BC/CC.
The SPI forum and product descriptions answers most questions but Barry, owner of SPI, gladly takes calls on his personal cell phone if you have any questions related to his products.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that with my inexperience I should go with the BC/CC because it's easier to fix mistakes

Old 04-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used R-M products at first, which I believe are BASF's mid-level mine. Good quality, but expensive, at least for me up here.

Switched to SPI for epoxy and urethane primers and they are excellent quality and a bit cheaper...also available mail order, even in Canada from a distributor.

If SPI could mix paint to paint codes, I would use their stuff exclusively.

As a hobbiest, I would use all SPI except for base or SS mixed to a factory code.

Can't speak for other company's epoxy primer, but the R-M epoxy I was using sprayed well but cannot be used on anything flexible. Used SPI epoxy on my Endura bumper, and kept a chunk from the bottom of the leftover paint cup that is close to 2 years old and still flexible. SPI epoxy is the cat's ass...

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post: