THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:38 PM

Some people are never happy and always have to complain. At least E-bay and PayPal have dispute resolution. Craigslist and Marketplace don't have this. It is the Wild Wild West and buyer beware. I have since found out if you go through Marketplace's website to purchase they have some sort of protection. I dealt directly with the seller in this case and lost this. Some people here look at $100 or $25 as "so what". It is about the whole process of buying and selling. The principles are the same as if it were $1000, $5000, or $20000. It is about lessons learned. The old car hobby is fun. It is about the troublemakers, or as the bikers say the 1%ers. The way to clean this up is to hold them accountable. I have a feeling if the economy continues to slide more people will get desperate and you will see more of this. I also have a feeling the seller in my case did what he did out of ignorance. I doubt that he even knows what fraud is from the stupid excuses he made. These tricks were pulled on him and it is "OK" to do it to others.

I usually ask if the part has any "welds, breaks, or cracks". I didn't do it this time, another mistake on my part.

Last edited by Traveler; 06-26-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I usually ask if the part has any "welds, breaks, or cracks". I didn't do it this time, another mistake on my part.
Once again, you are "assuming" the seller knew.

Quote:
The part was rusty and covered with dirt.
It is buyers like this that I will flatly refuse to deal with as I don't need the headaches. The only one worse than this was the guy that tried to do the 'ol bait & switch on me. He tried swapping an NOS part for a repop and returning it. His name, number and GPS coordinates are still on the list of people that will never get another piece out of me, no matter what he wants to pay.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Once again, you are "assuming" the seller knew.

It is buyers like this that I will flatly refuse to deal with as I don't need the headaches. The only one worse than this was the guy that tried to do the 'ol bait & switch on me. He tried swapping an NOS part for a repop and returning it. His name, number and GPS coordinates are still on the list of people that will never get another piece out of me, no matter what he wants to pay.
. I make mistakes. Like I said before, when I confronted him about it, he asked no questions, understood what it was about without me telling him anything, and totally responded to my complain. He knew this complaint was coming. I didn't have to ask him if he knew. He already knew all about it and just went into his lame excuses. I don't know what your last statement is about. I acted in good faith and just wanted a serviceable manifold. I am not trying to cheat the guy swapping parts. The paint on the part is still like a fingerprint. Hey, I know there are unscrupulous buyers out there too. It goes both ways. I'm not interested in anyone's sympathy. I would just like to hear how people have handled similar situations and not just swept it under the carpet. I don't want to take this guy to small claims court but it looks like we are headed that way. They are currently closed because of the virus. I think this would be a good education for the him because he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He either needs a good lawyer to explain this to him or a judge. I might be wrong too. Also, I think you just like to argue. Good luck in your future deals.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It all boils down to how "invested" you want to be in the principal of your argument and how desperately you "want to get this guy" If you are unwilling to let it go, then hire a lawyer and go after him. I have a good friend who got an $85.00 speeding ticket in the mail from a remote speed camera. He just refused to pay it. He said he wouldn't pay it because he could not face his accuser in court. He hired a good attorney and it eventually went all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court. Took three years and over $10,000.00 in legal fees. The Supreme Court found in his favor and the whole red light camera situation has been appeals ever since. It's been over 6 years now. He is thrilled and says it's been worth every penny spent. Some people are just wired that way. Are you?

Old 06-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
...Took three years and over $10,000.00 in legal fees. The Supreme Court found in his favor and the whole red light camera situation has been appeals ever since. It's been over 6 years now. He is thrilled and says it's been worth every penny spent...
How is it possible that a three year court case that went to the state supreme court only cost $10,000? I think that's just filing costs and his lawyer worked for free.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM

Not really. How many other people has this guy bilked? He WAS in business for a long time. 100's? Told me " guys like you are the reason I got out of business". I say good riddance.

Forgot to add. He is a dead-beat dad too.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool Been involved in transactions that went poorly more times than we'd care to remember.

When you've been in the hobby for 40+ years, some deals are going to go sideways.

It happens ALL the time. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes obliviously, who knows.

Even with the weld, the odds are that, at most, the intake would need to be surfaced slightly on the welded flange to make it 'functional' - not perfect but functional.

We've used several factory ALUMINUM intakes that were welded during repair with no issues (maybe we were just lucky).

Like Chief, we make note of the bad sellers or buyers and just avoid ANY contact with them in the future. Word of mouth (like posting here) works to vent your frustration, too, but don't let it eat up your whole life.

Small claims court, in our experience, is a crap-shoot. Even if you win, you'd probably spend way more than you could recover just trying to enforce a judgement. The proverbial 'throwing good money after bad'.

I didn't read all three pages of this, but its sounds like a couple-hundred-dollar transaction at the most. My suggestion would be to just 'suck it up' and move on. Grab another intake and get out and enjoy your Pontiac.

Life is short - don't waste any more time with this clown. Move on.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:34 PM

Joe I tend to agree. I tried to pressure the guy but he has no shame, He is a dead beat. Thinks because he isn't in business anymore things don't apply to him. Told him everything bad that happens to him he deserves. He didn't like it, called me rude. Told him it was the truth. Won't get through to him. I think life is already punishing him, usually does to guys like him. Karma

Thanks for the advice,

Old 06-26-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
How is it possible that a three year court case that went to the state supreme court only cost $10,000? I think that's just filing costs and his lawyer worked for free.
Correct, he took the case Pro Bono because it was to be a landmark case to get rid of the red light cameras in the state of Ohio.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

The Pontiac forums do NOT imply quality ppl selling good products.

I bought some pieces form a guy by NY, he was a damned doke job that cost me a LOT of money on some Deceptively “reworked" items .

Re-stamping things , repainting to HIDE their fraudulent things is the top things these bastards do .

Carburetors, blocks, Manifolds etc. There are a LOT of liars and thieves -frauds on ALL the Pontiac forums!!!
And especially NY-NJ Regions where they invented this fraudulent market type thing!!!!!

You will find this in plymouth-chevvie-ford-Olds-Buick forums the same too!!!

Some even have “Pontiac” forums!!!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM

As the saying goes if you’re not able to make a purchase in person or have a trusted friend check it out for you where you can physically inspect used or re furbished anything especially car parts, it’s a Buyer beware policy. It would be nice for sellers to “do the right thing” whatever that might be in any given situation, but in today’s world a Gentlemen’s hand shake just doesn’t happen anymore.

Unless you get a seller to back up his sales pitch on an item in writing with a purchase date, and signature, and date for returns noted, there’s not a lot you can do. If you have that document or invoice you have a recourse to action.

Good luck!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Saturday I bought a Pontiac intake manifold off of Facebook Marketplace. I met the seller and he seemed a decent guy. I looked the manifold over and the threads looked good. Nothing seemed wrong so I bought it. I took it home and started to clean it up and noticed a crack. I looked at it closer and it had been weld repaired and painted over. Today I asked the seller for my money back. He said he didn't have to refund my money. M question is, is it legal to sell cracked or broken auto parts and not disclose it to the buyer. Obviously he knew it was cracked by his responses to my questions. What recourse do I have? Long ago I went to small claims court about some crack heads a friend of mine bought. We won our case and the judge called the sellers action "sophisticated fraud". I have heard it is against the law to sell cracked blocks, heads, and manifolds. Parts that are useless. Any answers.
Here in NY State you must register with the DMV as a "Second Hand Parts Dealer" if your transactions are more than occasional/private sales.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Coupla 3 observationsa) Bought a NOS rear view mirror from west coast seller. Upon arrival,the box was nos GM. The mirror was a repop. Sent it back.Seller kept my $ and the mirror.(b)If it's the principle of the thing and you insist on pursuing it,be prepared for your next bank statement to disclose that you no longer have as much principal($) in your account.(c) handshakes are nice ,but,nowadays,a written contract/agreement is /can be binding.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read this all, I am still sitting here trying to wrap my head around one thing;
How in the world would you break a cast iron intake manifold!!

lol

@ OP, I'm sorry you feel you got screwed, but at least the intake should function fine, so at the end of the day, you have a part which is useable.
I do agree that selling it, knowing it has issues, is a shady thing to do - especially since many people might be fine buying it (assuming the weld repair is sufficient and doesn't need any work) as long as the repair was disclosed to begin with.

I just wish I could figure out a good way to remove a plug from the coolant cross over on one of my 068 intake!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)