THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess they still make them.
https://www.prinzallerlei.com/produc...19702253289545

Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
As mentioned, the rear tires are always worse then the fronts, I’m only guessing, but maybe it’s from the exhaust, I always have that same oily stuff on the bottoms of my quarters. Brake dust? Who knows, but personally I like the look of white raised letter tires on my classics, so I just deal with it clean them the best I can.
I'd say neither. My friends car hasn't moved since we put the tires back on it in November, so no exhaust or brake dust near it.

He's scrubbed with all the suggestions with no results and the next step is a the white grease pencil. He's pretty pissed after going through the hassle and money of changing out the new tires for more new tires to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there that then didn't fix the problem. I'm disappointed as I've been doing BFG TA's for 20 years and I'm due for some new ones. Not going to chance it with this obviously unsolved problem so it's time to start considering other brands. I'm not a fan of the black wall look so it's not an option for me.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
I'd say neither. My friends car hasn't moved since we put the tires back on it in November, so no exhaust or brake dust near it.

He's scrubbed with all the suggestions with no results and the next step is a the white grease pencil. He's pretty pissed after going through the hassle and money of changing out the new tires for more new tires to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there that then didn't fix the problem. I'm disappointed as I've been doing BFG TA's for 20 years and I'm due for some new ones. Not going to chance it with this obviously unsolved problem so it's time to start considering other brands. I'm not a fan of the black wall look so it's not an option for me.

When I restored my 69, I was after the factory look, and got White raised letter Firestone Wide Ovals. I loved the look and so did the judges who always commented on them. Problem was....they were bias plys. And we’re horrible to keep the. At on the road. When we decided it was time to replace them, they still did not make them in belted version, and I wound up with the Goodyear’s. The ride was amazing, but they are non stop maintenance keeping them looking good, plus every other muscle car has them now too.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Oxiclean and a toothbrush to bring back the white.

This one.....
http://www.oxiclean.com/en/allproduc...ax-force-spray

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
Yep, I've had the same problem with a set of Radial T/A tires on my 70 GTO for years . Tried to clean them lots of ways but the brown comes right back. Completely fed up with this crap. I'm getting ready to get some new tires for my 65 GTO, going to try a set of Mickey Thompson Radial S/T's. If they work out OK then that's what I'll be using from now on.
I think thats what I will be doing too, Saw one yesterday and they are a very nice looking tire, Only thing I noticed is the tread comes down the side a bit making it look like a off road jeep tire a little. But unlike the T/A that part of the tire didn't make as much ground contact and get all dirty and ugly looking, they have a more square shoulder, look much nicer than the T/a, I just hope I don't find out that this is an industry problem and they all start doing the same crap. I wonder if this is the reason the Pro-Track tires do not come in white letters anymore,

Last edited by 1beautifuldaughter; 04-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I use Oxiclean and a toothbrush to bring back the white.

This one.....
http://www.oxiclean.com/en/allproduc...ax-force-spray

Toothpaste with peroxide in it. that’s what I used at the AMEs Nationals. The

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had to use a gasket grinder to renew the white.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 3 month old set of Radial TA's on one of my cars now. No problem with the white letters at this point. I'm also running a set of 4 year old Radial TA's, and no problem with them either. From the posts I've read about the problem, it seems there was a chemistry problem for a period of time 8-10 years ago, prior to when I bought my latest tires. I also had a couple of other sets from over 12 years ago, and had no problem. So, luckily I missed the period when defective ones were made.

As was suggested by 78w72 in that other thread, if I had that problem with tires with a date code less than 6 years old, I'd see if I could get replacements from BFG.

When I bought my latest tires, I asked the tire guy to get me some tires that were not more than a year old, since I wanted fresh tires, not ones that have been sitting around for a couple years or more. So, the date codes are from about Sept 18, which was fine. Nothing really to do with the letters, but just a suggestion when buying tires to ask for fresh ones.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nobody here has yet admitted they tried denture cleaner

I have RWL "in" on my year or so old 14's. Left blue on. I need to go scrub & check.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Had the same problem with my Radial T/As. Tried everything without success. On another forum someone suggested using Goo Gone adhesive remover. For whatever reason it seems to remove whatever substance leaches out of the tires. It's super easy and worked great.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
nobody here has yet admitted they tried denture cleaner

I have RWL "in" on my year or so old 14's. Left blue on. I need to go scrub & check.

I did say toothpaste with peroxide.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Or just get another brand, and sell the Goodyear’s to a friend who don’t care about how clean they look. I’m getting white raised letter Uniroyal. TIGER PAWS for my 78 TA. Had my Mercury at the Ford Dealer for inspection last week, and asked if they can get any brand, he said yes just needs the size, and they’re buy 3 get 1 free. Coker Tire don’t have them, but a place called Oasis Tires does so I’ll price both. I’m guessing the freight on them will be costly, so probably let my Ford garage get em for me.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MaryAnn, not to upset the apple cart but Uniroyals were the worst tire I ever owned. They came on my 79 Formula from the factory and didn't last much over 19,000 miles. And no I didn't burn the rubber off them, they were just plain ol crap. Just a heads up and hopefully the reproductions will be better.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
MaryAnn, not to upset the apple cart but Uniroyals were the worst tire I ever owned. They came on my 79 Formula from the factory and didn't last much over 19,000 miles. And no I didn't burn the rubber off them, they were just plain ol crap. Just a heads up and hopefully the reproductions will be better.

Gary I had them on my 75 TA, and I haven’t put 19,000 miles on my 69 since it was done in 1994 not even 10,000. My cars only go to car events. the Tiger Paws ran perfect for me.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Default brown bfg letters

I bought a pair for the rear last fall and they are impossible to keep white as well.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought a fresh set of T/A's last year or so ago........ Horrible as far as the letters...... turn brown so fast.....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 04-18-2019, 01:58 AM

If you have a set of BF Goodrich "brown letter" tires, you are not S.O.L.!

This is a known issue and is being completely warrantied by BFG. If you bought tires from an authorized dealer, call BFG (1-877-788-8899) and they will open a claim with you. You will be instructed to take the tires to an authorized dealer for inspection. BFG will replace the tires and cover the cost of remounting.

If you bought your tires through Coker tire, like I did, you need to contact Coker directly. They sent me new tires, return labels for the old tires and reimbursed me for the cost of the dismount/remount. You can have the old tires dismounted and returned, then return to have the replacement tires mounted. I chose to purchase the second set, so I could have them mounted when the old tires where removed (one trip to the tires store). When they received the old tires back, they refunded my second purchase price and the mounting charge.

A bit of an inconvenience, but they are covering the entire cost and you're not out the $$ spent on the tires......

The Following User Says Thank You to jays55 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jay is there a time limit from BFG on replacement. I have to check where I got mine from. I think it was Tire Rack, but have to check with my parts store.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Jay is there a time limit from BFG on replacement. I have to check where I got mine from. I think it was Tire Rack, but have to check with my parts store.
Both BFG and Coker told me it was a manufacturing defect and never mentioned a time limit, or checked tread width. Don't ask, don't tell.......

Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Emailed BFG right away after reading they might be covering this.....

Here is their timely response...

Quote:
Hello Troy,

Thanks for reaching out to the BFG Customer Care Team. My name is John and I look forward to helping you. You’ve been assigned case number: XXXXXX. This will allow my team to quickly pull your claim details if any further questions arise.
Let’s see how we can help.

Regarding your email stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a new set of Radial T/A’s for my 67 GTO a year or so ago..... I have the Brown Lettering problem - I heard you were warranting for this known issue.... is this true? I bought them through Summit Racing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I’d like to use my passion for BFGoodrich products to offer you the following information:

The warranty does not cover white lettering. We have consumers using the method below and are very pleased.

I started with spraying the tires with water to get them wet. I applied a liberal coating of the Eagle1 product to all the tires and let sit for 10min. (This is when lots of grime started flowing down off of the tires, so the product was doing its job.) I washed all the tires off and applied another coating of Eagle1. Let sit for 5min. (Not much grime could be seen dripping down this time.) I washed them off again really well and drove off.

When the tires dried, the color aspect looked like new. Staining and yellowing was removed from the white letters.

Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-E30.../dp/B0030Q259U

We hope that your issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Saturday. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

Sincerely,
John
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN