Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Walmart batteries

Optima finally went out in the Yukon after 6 years and after trickle charging it back to health about 3 times over the last 2 months and having it last a week and a half each time I think it’s finally had it. Walmart has a basic battery with higher CCA rating than anyone else’s cheap battery for 93 dollars with a 3 year replacement, no prorate. The next cheapest battery I can find is a Napa with only a 6 month warranty. Anybody use a Walmart maxxstart battery?

Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through three of them in two years, went to a Durecell from Batteries +. So far it's been a really good battery.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to buy them all the time- but found it’s not if you will get stranded but when. the inconvenience of having to leave the car and get another battery or getting it towed wasn’t worth the $50 savings. I have moved most of mine to Optima red tops but have had very good luck with the O’Reily batteries. I have one in my 70 GTO and 69 Charger and haven’t had any issues for several years.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Suspended

There is a reason why they are called WalMart NeverStart

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok good to know

Old 07-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is in my Yukon so I don’t want to put a 200 battery in a 368000 mile vehicle that only gets used when ALL of us have to go somewhere with gear. NAPA BATTERY IS 114 for their basic battery. Any complaints about Napa? This has been 25 years ago but I do know that at autozone the difference between gold and platinum was the sticker and 35 dollars

Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From one source on who makes Walmart batteries....

Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi.

Johnson Control does not make batteries for WalMart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.)

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 07-13-2020, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
From one source on who makes Walmart batteries....

Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi.

Johnson Control does not make batteries for WalMart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.)

Moot point

Just like oil, tires, etc., there are different formulas based on price point and customer's demands. Hell, even Snap On has a cheap line.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been buying Excide batteries from Menards or Home Depot and have been doing well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 07-13-2020, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve been running NAPA batteries in all my classic and DD vehicles for the last 15 years or so. No problems or complaints here.
The GTO and my ‘62 Mercury, I put a trickle charger on them for a day every few months over the winter.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Walmart batteries for many years with no problem at all. Just make sure you check the date on the battery. You don't know how long it might have been sitting on the shelf. I figure if one does go bad and I'm a long way from where I bought it I don't want trouble finding a place to exchange it. You can always find a Walmart.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always buy at Costco, they now carry the Interstate brand. Never had a premature battery issue.

george

Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exide from Menards, no private labels. If it's good enough to put their own own name on it, it's good enough for me. I've had very good service out of them.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:54 AM

I've had very good luck with the Walmart Maxstart batteries, too. Haven't tried the lower CCA/warranty battery they offer.

While I'm sure it's not a good idea to do with virtually any battery, any premature "failures" have always followed a situation where the battery was completely drained. Over my history with one car, I've left the ignition on, forgot to connect a trickle charger over the winter and, I hate to admit it, managed to wire the electric choke to battery instead of ignition at one point. I've been able to recharge the battery and continue to use it after each of these happened. But, it wouldn't hold a charge for as long as before the discharge. So, off to get a new one each time.

I just replaced the Walmart battery I bought in 2013 with a new one this summer. Never any complete discharge events that I can remember in the last 7 years. But, I did put a different charger on it over the winter that might not have been working as it should. Didn't have enough oomph to start the car this spring. Still I'm very happy with how it performed. Enough to go buy another one, anyway!

Old 07-14-2020, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i got a walmart everstart battery 3 years ago. I put it in my 79 that sees little street time. sits sometimes for 2 weeks and starts everytime. A couple times i have left the dome light on and drained it. then charged it and starts fine afterwards no issues. i guess its just the luck of the draw on the batteries.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I've used Walmart batteries for many years with no problem at all. Just make sure you check the date on the battery. You don't know how long it might have been sitting on the shelf. I figure if one does go bad and I'm a long way from where I bought it I don't want trouble finding a place to exchange it. You can always find a Walmart.
Easy to tell. Like a tire, just look at the date code.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been running a $50 Walmart battery for exactly 2 years today, and no sign of stopping yet. 10,000 miles on it. I don't trickle charge it or anything. It's been well worth it.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some say I’m a tight ass but I buy mine at the local junkyard. Not for my daily drivers but for my second line vehicles. $25 cash, I pick the newest one that will fit. Never had one that didn’t last at least 2 years.
Most of the cars I put them in aren’t around that long.

I know it sounds stupid but I’ve had good luck with it so far. My all time record was 6 years in my old trash hauler & that was not putting it on a tender or having to jump it. YMMV

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Chief of the 60's;6160726]Easy to tell. Like a tire, just look at the date code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post

Old 07-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Battery threads are a member of the Big 3 that nobody can really agree on: 1. the best oil, 2. the best oil filter, 3. the best battery. Working in the repair business for 45 years fortunately, the best battery question is fairly easy. In general, you get what you PAY for. Doesn't matter the brand, it matters what's inside the case. Take the cheapest battery I can think of for a GM vehicle. Rural King. They are about $65.00 and 600 CCA. The battery has a given number of plate packages with a given amount of active material. (lead plates and lead calcium). As the battery ages, the plates shed active material and it collects at the bottom of the envelopes eventually, shorting out a cell or two and the battery is dead. Same battery case size from say NAPA, or Interstate costing say $100.00 will have about 35% more active material and plates and thus have more energy and reserve capacity and last longer because it takes longer for that battery to shed enough active material to eventually short out or fail. The amazing thing is the MANUFACTURERS KNOW ALL THIS STUFF. The actual cost per month of battery life is on average about the same if you buy a cheap Rural King battery with a 36 month warranty or the best NAPA battery with a 72 month warranty is roughly the same. It's simply a matter of how often you want to change your battery. When I buy a battery for personal use, I consider how long I plan to keep the vehicle and what I want it to look like under the hood if it's a collector car, period. I don't like a bright green or yellow case battery in a properly restored muscle car. It just cries, "I am too cheap to put a black battery in my prized car". It's really no different than a AA battery. You can buy a carbon cell 4 pack for $1.00. You can buy a 4 pack of alkaline for $2.99. The alkaline ones last three times as long, Actual cost is the same.

Last edited by mgarblik; 07-14-2020 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: