WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 General Tech/Discussion

93-02 General Tech/Discussion 1993-2002 Firebird/Trans Am General Tech/Discussion

Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Me too. Here it is back in 1970 and now, hanging in the basement.
I gave mine to the kid down the street - same kid that I gave my paper route to.

Note - this was not my first bike, this was the first bike I bought for myself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_Pic0054.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	399503  
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was that photo taken about 10 seconds before the inevitable trip to the emergency room? I remember pedaling full speed into a leaf pile...and finding a fire hydrant there....ouch
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OUCH!

That's at the end of the street where I grew up - there was a 5-6' road cut into the banking that we made a ramp on & would jump. There were only a couple of us that would get completely airborne. Problem was you had to stop quick once you landed because of the trees on the hill!

I didn't go to the ER ever for that, but was there often enough that I got Christmas Cards from them.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work as usual Steve! Where do you find the time?

Have you replaced the starter on the car yet? There is a known problem with the LS1 engines where the original starters are held in by one long bolt and one short bolt. The short bolt loosens or breaks and then that allows all the torque from the starter to stress the one long bolt which then breaks off part of the block. The best repair is preventative maintance which means replacing the original starter with the heavy duty truck starter which uses two long bolts. Here is one of many links you can read about it. I am going to do this with my 30th before it breaks.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/broken-...-mount-171452/
1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting. I will check the bolts this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little update.

We have only put on 900 miles since buying the car in 2014. Lately, I have been trying to identify an annoying engine-related noise that occurred only under constant throttle - not coasting or heavy throttle. It was hard to pinpoint exactly because of how loud this car is under acceleration with the aftermarket muffler on it. (Time is of the essense too, as the third extended warranty is getting ready to expire after 15 years in December 2016).

After pulling the serpentine belt and spinning everything by hand, that spins, I was able to isolate it to the alternator bearing and several of the idler pulleys. So I brought it to the local Chevy dealer and they did a nice job working on the car. They had just been through two days of dealing with the extended GM warranty with my daughter's Impala SS - replacing a leaky steering rack, the power steering hoses, the trans cooler lines, the oil pan gasket, and an engine mount. I found all of these items while underneath the car changing the oil last week. The GM extended warranties are wonderful to deal with compared with an aftermarket one. They even gave us a free 2016 Impala with 300 miles on it as a courtesy car! Total bill: $107. ($100 deductible plan)

The aftermarket extended warranty that the original owner bought is another story. The service writers were able to deal with the crazy people at the warranty company who, as usual, put you on hold for 20 minutes at a time and try to make it hard enough that you give up. For example, they agreed that it needed a new alternator. So instead of allowing the Chevy dealer to simply install the AC/Delco alternator that was in stock on their shelf, at the Chevy dealer price, they had the exact same part number AC/Delco alternator overnight Fedexed to the dealership. While they might have gotten the alternator $30 cheaper than the dealer price, they just spent $100 overnighting it!!! The same thing with the main idler pulley. The dealer only asked for the pulley - a $40 item. The warranty company balked at that but then sends them the entire AC/Delco idler assembly (a $200+ part) overnight. They also refused to pay the dealer hourly rate - undercutting it by $10 an hour...but then end up paying the extra hour for the idler assembly replacement instead of the pulley. (BTW, I think they actually get their parts from Rockauto based on the packaging).

So in the end, I paid $112 consisting of the $50 deductible plus another $45 in the unreimbursed labor charges, plus tax, for a bill that cost the warranty company around $1,000 ($500 in parts and $400 in labor and $100 in shipping). And I got to keep the original alternator and all the pulleys, idler, etc.

And the annoying mystery noise is gone!

BTW, When I brought it in to the dealer, they know how particular I am about my car so they had a space inside all ready for it - and it stayed inside for the three days it was there. The funny thing was when I brought the car in, the twenty-something male service writer didn't know how to drive a manual transmission so he handed the keys to a twenty-something young lady with full sleeve tattoos who gave me the all knowing nod (turns out she has a Mustang Cobra and an old pickup truck - both with stickshifts). Cool lady. If my son was older I would have played matchmaker.