Old 04-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1967 GTO rear coil spring install questions

Pretty sure 1967 didn't use attaching plates at the bottom like '66...correct? Wish they did. Seems like they should be anchored down at some point rather than free floating, but this is for a concours restoration and want it done just like factory originals.

Second question: Does the orientation of the coils matter?

Been experimenting with different positioning of the spring ends since there isn't an indentation in the perches like the front springs have. Seems to fit best on the right side with the end of the last coil (at bottom where it meets the differential perch) directly pointing toward the rear of the car. Just the opposite on the left side with the end of the coil directly pointing toward the front. Does this sound right?

If possible, can someone check their original spring location for me?

Appreciate all opinions and comments.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also , oil amount is critical. Dont over fill oil in this system .Remember the little tube for the POA is an oil bypass tube because the POA shuts down the flow before icing, but the oil was allowed to bypass to keep the compressor lubed.

Probably5-7 ounces TOTAL in the system will be fine.

Another guy I know had the same "Tube" conversion and I think he had too much oil in it. It hydrolocked the compressor . Game over.

Not trying to scare you, just wanted to make you aware to measure the oil amount in the compressor and the rest of the system when you seal it up.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Pretty sure 1967 didn't use attaching plates at the bottom like '66...correct? Wish they did. Seems like they should be anchored down at some point rather than free floating, but this is for a concours restoration and want it done just like factory originals.

Second question: Does the orientation of the coils matter?

Been experimenting with different positioning of the spring ends since there isn't an indentation in the perches like the front springs have. Seems to fit best on the right side with the end of the last coil (at bottom where it meets the differential perch) directly pointing toward the rear of the car. Just the opposite on the left side with the end of the coil directly pointing toward the front. Does this sound right?

If possible, can someone check their original spring location for me?

Appreciate all opinions and comments.
I do not think it makes a difference on the orientation. I have never looked for a specific orientation, just stick them in and that is it.

The '67 and up sit on the pedestal that keeps the spring in place. It will not come off because the shock will not fully extend enough for that to happen. If it did, you would not be able to jack up the car to change a tire. So if that were to happen by chance, then you have the wrong shocks.

I am also assuming you have the rubber insulators at the top of the springs.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
I do not think it makes a difference on the orientation. I have never looked for a specific orientation, just stick them in and that is it.

The '67 and up sit on the pedestal that keeps the spring in place. It will not come off because the shock will not fully extend enough for that to happen. If it did, you would not be able to jack up the car to change a tire. So if that were to happen by chance, then you have the wrong shocks.

I am also assuming you have the rubber insulators at the top of the springs.
Actually, I'm 99% certain the orientation of the rear coils does matter for the '67. It absolutely does for the '66, and to my knowledge I don't think the '67 frame is any different in this area (or is it???). See photo below of my '66 frame where you can clearly see where the rear coil needs to nest in the frame. Certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Actually, I'm 99% certain the orientation of the rear coils does matter for the '67. It absolutely does for the '66, and to my knowledge I don't think the '67 frame is any different in this area (or is it???). See photo below of my '66 frame where you can clearly see where the rear coil needs to nest in the frame. Certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

You are indeed correct, my bad on this one. I looked at a '67 Service manual and it showed what you have. Learned something new.

So the next question is, are rubber insulators used like the 1968 and up springs? I see them listed for 1967 use.

Picture is of my '68 rear frame and you can see the top spring perch looks more like a doughnut, no orientation pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Rear Frame.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	537730  

Old 04-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
You are indeed correct, my bad on this one. I looked at a '67 Service manual and it showed what you have. Learned something new.

So the next question is, are rubber insulators used like the 1968 and up springs? I see them listed for 1967 use.

Picture is of my '68 rear frame and you can see the top spring perch looks more like a doughnut, no orientation pocket.
Assuming the '67 is indeed the same as the '66, yes, it does use a rubber spring insulator on the top of the coil. They are different than what the '68 and later cars use, though. For my '66, it is a long piece of rubber that wraps around the coil of the spring at the top (see photo below). For the '68 and later cars, it's a flat disc with a hole in the middle. They can't be used interchangeably.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Assuming the '67 is indeed the same as the '66, yes, it does use a rubber spring insulator on the top of the coil. They are different than what the '68 and later cars use, though. For my '66, it is a long piece of rubber that wraps around the coil of the spring at the top (see photo below). For the '68 and later cars, it's a flat disc with a hole in the middle. They can't be used interchangeably.

OK, that makes sense. It has been almost 40 years since playing with a '67 I had and I know I swapped out rear-ends in it a couple times, but those insulators you posted look familiar.

Here is a PDF for the '67 rear suspension and coil removal and it mentions the fitting of the spring in the pocket and rubber insulator - http://thefirstgensite.com/library/67service/PO67S4.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Rear Spring Install.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	537740  

Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 65 used the same rubber/plastic on the top.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 04-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine does not have those orientation pockets in the perches. Fairly early built '67 model (November, 1966)...frame built by Parrish. Wonder if it depends on the frame manufacturer?

P.S. The rubber insulators I bought don't look like the ones that follow the coil curve. Here is a photo of the kind I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-69...S/392306080545

Old 04-19-2020, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Mine does not have those orientation pockets in the perches. Fairly early built '67 model (November, 1966)...frame built by Parrish. Wonder if it depends on the frame manufacturer?

P.S. The rubber insulators I bought don't look like the ones that follow the coil curve. Here is a photo of the kind I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-69...S/392306080545
Yeah, those are the later style pads for springs that don't need to be oriented. They absolutely wouldn't work for a '66 as the eBay ad suggests, but that's an aside.

The frame for my '66 was made in June of '66 Not sure who made it, though. The body came from the Pontiac, MI plant, and the frame also says "PON".

The question of variations in frame configuration based on assembly location is a good one, though. I've seen other differences in this regard.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, those are the later style pads for springs that don't need to be oriented. They absolutely wouldn't work for a '66 as the eBay ad suggests, but that's an aside.

The frame for my '66 was made in June of '66 Not sure who made it, though. The body came from the Pontiac, MI plant, and the frame also says "PON".

The question of variations in frame configuration based on assembly location is a good one, though. I've seen other differences in this regard.
Your frame was made at the Pontiac frame plant. Pontiac frames are heavy duty and stronger than Parrish in my opinion. Yes, many differences in frame construction among the three plants. AO Smith is the third and is also better built than Parrish (again, just stating my opinion).