THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Posting times out?

Lately I have spent several minutes composing s detailed post to a forum. When I hit submit I got s message that I was not logged in(but I’m sure I was). So I go to the bottom of the error message page and log in again and I get a redirecting message, but nothing else happens. I try backing up a screen, etc. but nothing works until I finally back all the way out by which time my post is long gone. This has happened twice, but don’t know why.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sent a message to the site administrator, asking him to look into this.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:15 PM

Same thing happened to me about a week ago.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 PM

I use a PC when on this forum, (not using phone).
If I am writing a long post I normally compose it in WORD or EXCEL and then copy paste the text onto this forum. Had too many posts go wrong before I was able to hit the post button and had to start again.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Posting times out

My wife suggested the idea about creating in word first then copying to forum. That’s what I plan to do in the future.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

When I post on my IPhone I always write whatever I want in my notes & copy & paste to the page I want to comment or post myself. I know because I have lost several posts myself.its very frustrating. Mark

Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What Terry described in the OP has happened to me several times over the past ten years or so. Maybe only once or twice in the last three years because I'm not as active since then.
Anyway, after completely losing some long thought out posts, I eventually learned to COPY (Control C) every post in it's entirety before I click submit. No need to do it in word as long as you COPY it immediately after you're done composing.
Then, if the forum throws up a glitch you can just try reposting, even if you have to re Log-In.

I can sympathise with the aggrevation of getting timed out before you submit. I always take a long time to carfully compose most of my posts.
Still, it seems like my log-in times out in barely 10 minutes sometimes. If I take more than 15 minutes, it's almost a guarantee. This site has about the shortest time-out span on the net, I swear.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Has happened many times on me. There must be a timer and when you are writing up a long reply, it exceeds the time limit and disconnects. Trying to log back in typically does not seem to bring your reply back up where you can continue, it gets lost.

You can save it as others have mentioned to whatever media you use OR, I have learned to periodically hit the "Preview Post" to refresh the timer. As long as I do this and don't time out, I am able to keep the longer post I am writing. If I forget and miss the timer, then I have to do the Paste/Copy to my Wordpad and then Paste/Copy back to a fresh page after going through the sign-in process and finding the topic again.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you log-in check the box Remember Me. I've only had to log in when the site goes down.... like it did a few days ago. I think that's what could have happened.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 06-02-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had this problem many times, so I've learned to highlight the whole thing and right click copy it before I post. That way, if it doesn't post, then I simply get back on the page and paste it.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default for brevety

When I tried to submit a post just now, that took over thiry minutes to finish, (I knew I was going to be timed out) I got his slightly different variation after I logged back in:

Quote:
Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
I didn't bother with the back button because I knew it wouldn't do any good, I just opened another tab, located the thread and pasted my post in the box.
Thank goodness for Control+C.