WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 Transmission Tech

G8 Transmission Tech Automatic or Manual trans tech help.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New (to me) 2008 G8 GT trans questions.

Just getting used to the car and was wondering. There is a bit of a delay between driving in reverse, stopping, placing gear selector into drive and the trans going into gear. I'm used to other cars that drop right in and go. Now the delay is probably only a second or so but it is noticeable, to me at least. Is this a trait of the 6L80 trans and G8 GT control or is there a possible problem? If it is normal I'll get used to it and it'll be fine.
The other question is a whine in first gear. It may be the design of the trans to do that and it is not load, but there. I'm a motor head and these things are noticed by me.
Questions about tuning the trans. I know you can change shift points etc with a programmer but can you also change the shift speed and "hit" characteristics with a programmer. I'm not going to be doing much to the engine for more performance other than any tuning (no headers or hard parts---YET!!!) so I just would like a more solid quicker reacting trans. I hate hesitant shifting under power. Normal driving--phfffttt--not a prob. I just hate sloppy shifting under power.
Thank you for any insight into this. New to this car and want to know what is right and what may be wrong.

My G8 has only 57,000 on it and is in great stock condition.

Mark
Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 PM

It might be the torque management and abuse mode settings in the ecm. If you are looking for a tuner I would suggest HP tuners or EFI live, you will be able to modify more of the settings compared to the hand held scanners and get more bang for the buck being able to tune other vehicles with the same software.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...rder=Ascending
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP TUNERS.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	356690  

SEVEN UPS 2.0 TAKING THE THIRD DEGREE ONE STEP FURTHER

2016 1/8 MILE 7.0 @ 100 MPH 406 B&M MINI BLOWER
Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping it was something I could tune out. My son has a 2006 Chrysler SRT/8 with a 6-71 blower on it. He uses a hand held tuner but if we could find something better that would be compatible with both. That would be fantastic.

Gotta do some more looking and window shopping. Thanks again for your input.

Mark