Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default value of car with non factory installed parts

Does the value or saleability lessen when options are put on a fully numbers matching 65 GTO that it didn't come with when new? For instance exhaust splitters. My car did not come with splitters but I want to put them on the car. Also standard steering wheel versus a sport wheel or no rally gauges but installing them on the car. All these things are options that most would want on their car but if they did not come on the car originally would that be detriment when selling the car?

Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going to try and get absolute top dollar crazy money and sell it to the type of guy who worries about the color of the chalk inspection markings, it does.

Those changes that you mentioned can be undone, so I don't think you need to worry about it. For instance, the under dash wiring harness will use a "rally gauge add-on harness" that you can just remove, plug and play, to go back.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wonder about that also, I'd tend to think small items that can be easily undone are a non-issue. If the original parts are retained what could be the harm. It kind of reminds me of the Harley Davidson "bolt-on's" that you can install to customize your bike. No holes drilled etc...

Old 05-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's a dealer add on accessory I see no issue with it., which is what I'm doing with my 68.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

Make it like you want it and enjoy the car. You only go around once.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it wasn't a total #s matching car i would not be concerned. I have sold many cars over the years and potential buyers will always use a negative they can to beat you up on the price. Trying to decide if I should spend the money to buy the things that are not as factory built just to keep them in the closet for the day that I decide to sell.