Old 07-17-2023, 08:46 AM

Default Ride height with Eaton springs and 1 1/2 lower selection

In process of assembling 1971 Trans Am and have used Eaton before on A Bodies

Has anybody used the spring that they offer that is 1 1/2 lower than stock on both ends or maybe just the rear?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2023, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used their rear leafs. Always ordered the Esprit version for '73.
Why? In 1973 they made both rear springs the same due to road crown and radial tires, probably cost as well. Why Esprit? The lowest rating is why. Eaton springs are always made a bit higher rating than their posted rating. Many times their " Arch" is " overarched "
But its better than a 5 leaf Nova Ss highjacker set!
There Is a difference between " stance" and " rating"
Too stiff, No deflection, and basically you ride on blocks, but you " may" like the stance.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant comment on eaton springs, but I have used the PTFB front/rear lower springs on a 72 firebird that sit very nice at ~1.5" drop. They have alll kinds of neat products for these 2nd gen cars & prices are better than most the other big suspension companies.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No experience here with the lowering springs but I just replaced all 4 springs on my car with Eaton stock height springs. It raised the front 2 1/4 inches and the back 1 inch so I'm assuming my springs were pretty worn. For reference the pics below are how it sat/sits before and after.

And FYI, from the Eaton website, for 70 vs 71 the part numbers for the rear are the same, the front are different. Also, bear in mind, my car gained about 120 pounds with my drivetrain swap.

Before:

After:

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 07-18-2023 at 11:25 AM.