Old 07-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Odd Power Steering Issue

Hi,

Am about 99% finished with the '76 Limited Edition T/A project and have encountered a confounding power steering issue.

Power steering works intermittently - fine for a while, then reverts to manual steering without much warning. Interesting when turning left in traffic and it decides to let you handle things!

Set up is essentially stock. Original gearbox that has been rebuilt (twice actually). The original reservoir with a new pump (rebuilt). The first replacement pump has now been replaced as well. Lines were new when installed, but sat without any use for quite a while as the last of the bodywork and assembly were completed.

Only other modifications are a Hotchkiss suspension that lowered the car 1-1/2" and the Year One 17 x 9 inch aluminum honeycomb wheels. There is also the stroked 1974 400 block, but I don't think that is relevant...

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar or had any suggestions as to what next steps should be to resolve the problem.

Thanks for any insights you care to share.

Kevin

Old 07-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had it happen to ,me once. same scenario just out of the blue. But it hasn't happened in awhile. I checked everything and found no obvious issues. I was 500 miles from home and only noticed it when i got off the freeway to get gas. Then it started working fine and hasn't been an issue since. I rebuilt my gear box and all new pump, belts, reservoir lines etc..before this happened.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Glad to hear it went away. This seems to want to hang around. May take a run at new hoses and see of there is something there.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had the same issue with my '75 Formula with aftermarket box, coil overs and big bars. Took 2 pumps to get one to work. I will not buy another reman, new only from now on.

In short, I'll bet it's your pump.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pressure valve inside pump is occasionally getting stuck in the bypass mode, Usually from dirty oil or the an over-honed bore. I’ve had the same issue with a rebuilt pump as you did. I replaced the valve , flushed the fluid but kept loosing pressure from time to time. I finally rebuilt my original pump and problem went away.
And any spec of dirt can cause the valve to stick. I once found a hair from my German Shepard in the valve bore causing a no pressure situation. Found out the dog liked to nap under the engine. Also cleaned a thick mat of hair from the lower radiator core.
No more sleeping in the garage for the old girl.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 07-28-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect it is the pump as well.

Any recommendations for a replacement. Looking for all new (not rebuilt), but haven't found much yet.