Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Did installing wrong equipment happen from time to time? Or was it a fairly frequent occurrence?
My 68 Fremont car came with the 4 blade RA fan even though the 5 blade flex was standard for the WT engine.
It certainly happened.

The stars had to align, in that you had to have the assembly operator zoned out, and then a couple subsequent downstream inspectors asleep at the wheel.

But given that possibility - yep. Even on some regulatory or compliance items where the repercussions were severe and with 100% inspection (Note: 100% inspection has been statistically proven to be less than 100% effective).

For example - if you had asked me twenty five years ago if VIN mistakes got out I would have emphatically said "no way!". Now, as an enthusiast exposed to the internet I see pretty credible examples from time to time.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem today is you either install BFG radial T/A's or Coppers if you want RWL tires.
Truth be told, I am just getting a little tired of looking at those tire brands on every 14" wheeled car.

I have a full set of eagle ST's for another car. (smaller size) Bought a few sets of those for my daily drivers back in the early 90's

Good Looking tire

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
The problem today is you either install BFG radial T/A's or Coppers if you want RWL tires.
Truth be told, I am just getting a little tired of looking at those tire brands on every 14" wheeled car.

I have a full set of eagle ST's for another car. (smaller size) Bought a few sets of those for my daily drivers back in the early 90's

Good Looking tire
The reason for that is that they are one of the few that even make some of the 14" and 15" tire sizes in radials that we all use on muscle cars, so you see a lot of them.

If you get into some of the other raised white letter manufactures like Mickey Thompson, the pickins get slim for sizes, and Eagle ST and GT are about gone. We are lucky to still have BFG's that offer hard to find sizes in a modern radial. Even the Cooper Cobras don't offer all the sizes.

That's why the radial version of the stock appearing tires from Coker have gained popularity, modern radial and classic look. The only problem with that is Coker does strictly Firestone, not Goodyear. So you're stuck with Firestone Wide Ovals if you want white letters. Goodyears are done by Kelsey and as of yet they have no radial versions of the stock appearing tires.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is it possible that the dealer switched the original G series tires with the F series, maybe from a Firebird? Customer comes in, wants the Firebird, but then says "I want tires and wheels like that GTO has".

Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't realize until now that the firestone wide ovals are made as a radial too.
Maybe thats why people are putting those on over the goodyears?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check this out. This 70 has Polyglass on in some pictures & Wide ovals in others...
https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0919-38...e-convertible/

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I didn't realize until now that the firestone wide ovals are made as a radial too.
Maybe thats why people are putting those on over the goodyears?
Yep, why I mentioned it in post 23. The radial Firestones are pretty popular, but I still see more Goodyear than anything else.....around here anyway with the flood of classic cars we have in Arizona.