THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hauling gone wrong...

Make sure you secure your classic when hauling it. This didn't end well for this 67 Chevelle,

https://komonews.com/news/local/vide...ens-across-i-5

Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two big failures there.

First, and biggest, was the nitwit who didn't properly tie that car down.

Second was the guy who's brakes apparently don't work and ran into it. Not that it would've escaped undamaged if it hadn't been hit, but I just don't understand how that guy with the camera didn't see that thing coming and get on the brakes.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No excuse for not having that thing strapped down. It’s pretty hard to screw that up.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OOPS!
If that was dash cam footage, I can see why the guy would've hit it. Looked like he was in a turn/exit lane, may not have been paying attention to the traffic 3 lanes over, all of the sudden some idiot merges in front of him !!! He may have not know it was a driverless car.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Got nothing to do with this wreck but I remember years ago a guy was hauling his winning '64 GTO home from the POCI convention with his '87 Grand Prix. Both cars ended up on their roofs but the '64 stayed on the trailer.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not only is it dangerous to not secure a load properly, the fine for an unsecured load is pretty stiff, and can escalate depending upon what happens after it falls onto the roadway. The Chevelle in the article caused a ton of damage, plus the damage to the car itself. I hope he has good insurance.

I see stuff all the time sitting on a trailers with no straps or binders on them, usually lawn equipment has either none, or one small 1 inch strap on it. The rating on one of those 1 inch straps is as low as 300 lbs and maybe 500 lbs for the thicker ones.

A car on a trailer, or rollback, is supposed to have 4 separate tie downs on it, each should be rated at at least 3000 lbs. I see it all the time with 2. Winch cables are not considered a tie down point by the cops. Ideally the tie downs should not only keep the car immobile while hauling, in the event of a crash the car is supposed to stay with the vehicle hauling it.

A wrecker is supposed to have a pair of straps/chains securing the car to the truck and a redundant chain if the load would drop, stopping it from dropping to the road surface. Many operators don't use a separate chain in case of cable or hydraulic equipment failure.

I can't even remember how much stuff I've seen fall out the beds of pickup trucks over the years that was just lying in the bed with no straps whatsoever. Gas cans sitting in a pickup bed with the tailgate removed, what could happen?...……

One sticks out leaving a Lowe's, fiberglass tub enclosure that was just sitting in the bed. as soon as they got up to about 50 MPH the whole thing lifted straight up and crashed down onto the highway shattering into splinters, fortunately no one drove over it.

A lot of bad things can happen hauling anything, many people just trusting their luck that nothing will.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sirrotica is right on all points. Years ago I had a piece of steel I beam and some 2 x 12's in the back of my stake body. Bed rails all around there was no way anything was able to slide off. I pulled over at the weigh station. I was lucky in that I got a warning and I had straps to tie things down before I hit the road again. What was brought to my attention was , if my vehicle was in an accident all of the stuff in the back would have been missles. I never considered that, my concern was stuff falling out. Since, I have successfully hauled lots of heavy equipment, and even when I put a single board in my pickup I put a tie strap on it.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Driving semi for 7 years, and owning wreckers over the years gives you a whole different perspective on how much you can be fined, and what can happen with an unsecured load. That is one thing that no professional driver wants to be charged with in their career. No one wants to be charged with it, but especially if you make your living driving.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ve been told in Pa the rear straps need to crossed,X,. I prefer straight on. I just bought new straps that are similar to wheel bonnets.They have 3 heavy rubber blocks that go into tire on top ,tread,then the straps pass through the blocks.Used them to and from Gettysburg.Worked well. A friend and his trucking buddy hauled a outdoor barbecue from Wally world home in back of buddies,dodge Dakota truck with 1 inch straps around bottom. It was top heavy ,ended up on pavement!

Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 AM

I took this pic on Friday before Labor Day in Prairie Du Chien, WI...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	519853  

Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
I took this pic on Friday before Labor Day in Prairie Du Chien, WI...

Get the hell outta here! That can't be real. That is hillarious! LOL!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I ve been told in Pa the rear straps need to crossed,X,. I prefer straight on.
I don't know about PA but I heard Ohio is like that. When I am on a long haul I crisscross the rear straps.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

U Haul trailers use two tire straps on the front. The design looks ok and I'm sure Uhaul is satisfied with the arrangement considering the liability involved. But I wasn't comfortable with it and strapped my car down with a few more.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Ohhhhh my! That should buff out, happy to see no one was hurt, that could have been a very tragic ending. We don’t often trailer but when we do, every single thing is gone over 2 or 3 times before we hit the road. Even the entire hitch, chains, straps tires on the trailer, everything!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM

At least it was a Chevy and not a Pontiac. LOL I always crisscross all my straps front and rear if I can. It stops the car from walking side by side over bumps.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Get the hell outta here! That can't be real. That is hillarious! LOL!
I see this all the time now, except usually it is a junk vehicle and they run the straps through the front and rear door window openings.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
A friend and his trucking buddy hauled a outdoor barbecue from Wally world home in back of buddies,dodge Dakota truck with 1 inch straps around bottom. It was top heavy ,ended up on pavement!
I had to dodge an outdoor barbeque in the middle of an intersection just last week.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

Second was the guy who's brakes apparently don't work and ran into it. Not that it would've escaped undamaged if it hadn't been hit, but I just don't understand how that guy with the camera didn't see that thing coming and get on the brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
OOPS!
If that was dash cam footage, I can see why the guy would've hit it. Looked like he was in a turn/exit lane, may not have been paying attention to the traffic 3 lanes over, all of the sudden some idiot merges in front of him !!! He may have not know it was a driverless car.
I somehow got the impression the dash cam footage was from a law enforcement officer.

I think maybe that was in the title when it was posted here locally.

K

Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Preventable every time

Oh man. That's heart breaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	519864   Click image for larger version

Name:	18c5d410-d096-11e8-85bf-af5933472289.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	519865   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 2P0njRsbGTC8YAJEh2W08g.jpeg.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	519866  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Testa View Post
At least it was a Chevy and not a Pontiac. LOL I always crisscross all my straps front and rear if I can. It stops the car from walking side by side over bumps.

I wouldn’t wish this on anyone Chevy or not. That kind of thing can kill someone! Not saying you meant it that way, just saying that is a real tragedy that could have ended real bad real fast!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl